Fair Pay to Play Act

Discussion in 'Football' started by jts1207, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Tampa Jacket

Tampa Jacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Tampa
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I think this would stick a knife in GT's football program.
    You can bet that Georgia, Bama and the schools that value football more than college education are not going to be outdone by schools from California that pull Georgia High School athletes out of Georgia and lure them away with $$$.
    The laws WILL be changed in Georgia.
    The Governor and lawmakers will lead the way, no if's and's or but's about it.
    UGA = Win at all costs.

• Like Like x 2
  2. GT98

GT98 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    parts unknown
    Players already are getting paid. But certainly, the endorsement opportunity to be exploited by athletic depts that have lots of revenue would make the gulf between the haves and have nots wider than it already is.

A small chance. Every 4 or 5 years of a full recruiting cycle provided that GT has a really good QB and a top notch offensive play caller (at least in my lifetime).

I've wondered if/when that collegiate athletics drops the pretense of being amateur (for the $ sports, not the others), if it would result in a true semi-pro league and GT and others could form a separate league that really is amateur. However, would that be "well funded"? I'd still support GT and attend games, but I think that I'm in the minority here.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GTCrew

GTCrew Well, I'll be...

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Bagmen money will go a lot farther when it gets written off as a business expense.

We will never get a playcaller if we have to bid millions for them. I am not saying I'm not ready to find out what happens after college football implodes into semipro and amateur.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigDanT

BigDanT In it to rustle the Jimmies

Loc:
    Lawrenceville
    Team:
    Yellow jackets
    I am sad by these developments. Hopefully whatever happens is reasonable.

5. GT98

GT98 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    parts unknown
    I agree with the bagman notion, which is why I think that the endorsement deal (if it catches on in other states--especially those with "Big State school U" that "fear" losing recruits/players to California schools) would make the uneven playing field even worse.

To clarify, I meant that (since I've been attending GT games '84), GT has been really good not only when it had a really good QB, but also with a terrific (for the most part) playcaller like Friedgen and Johnson), which helped to narrow the talent gap inherent against the big state schools on the schedule.

Sure. Again, I realize that I'm in the minority, but I would still attend/support GT athletics if there were a "semi-pro" league and whatever league GT was in. However, I wonder how economically viable such a league would be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gtphd

gtphd Very Stable

Loc:
    2 hours from Athens
    Team:
    Tech
    If the ACC broke off from the NCAA, it would be economically viable.

7. Killick

Killick “The past is never dead. It's not even past.”

Loc:
    NW Florida
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    All depends on TV money not attendance. And don't bet that uga prospers in the semi pro league. Vandy, Kentucky, etc drop off their schedule. Every week, they play somebody on equal footing like Clemson, Bama, LSU, Texas, etc. TV money follows those games, but how many eyeballs? Lots of fans at schools that won't make the cut like I'm assuming South Carolina, North Carolina, VT, Syracuse, Nebraska, Illinois, Michigan State, Arizona, maybe even Tennessee. Something will come along to service the non-semi-pro league. I'd expect we could make a pretty good conference with those teams.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Walton

Walton Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    If the doors were truly wide open for players to go get all the money they could, do you think college football would fracture so that there was still a NCAA with "amateur" college football and then some other league that was basically semi-pro? I sort of think that regular college football would prevail but I could be wrong.

I expect that will not happen and the NCAA and football will muddle through with a lot of half measures.

9. faujacket

faujacket ACC Network Freak Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    60,000 for school scholarship, plus room and board and food is ALL COVERED. Add stipends it’s like cutting a $100,000 check to Each Player. They don’t provide a service at all. They are living the dream with a full ride. It’s not a service for the fans, it’s for themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  10. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The "unlevel playing field" phrase is making the rounds from the NCAA and ADs. I'm not sure how to feel about this new law, but ROFL at the idea that there's currently a level playing field.

• Like Like x 4
  11. bandman

bandman Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Newnan
    Team:
    GT
    If this happens, then why is a limit on number of years a player is eligible ok? Work on a phD in ditch digging for 7 years including a coloring book dissertation that takes three years to complete.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ScionOfSouthland

ScionOfSouthland Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Empire City of the South
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    How many college football programs are profitable? I thought most of them were not

13. JudgeJudy

JudgeJudy Really Lurks @ The Varsity

Loc:
    Morrow, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The good programs? :(

14. GT65_UGA89

GT65_UGA89 ATL poster

Loc:
    N Forsyth
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
  15. Flywheel

Flywheel What year is it?

Loc:
    Tau Ceti
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-revenues-more-than-1-billion-2017/402486002/

Does not include individual football program budgets.

16. oldgold68

oldgold68 Bitter old man

Loc:
    Living in the past
    Team:
    GT
    I would, but they all were QB's at the cesspool before transferring.

17. ramblinwise1

ramblinwise1 beware the zealot

Loc:
    1805 Land Lottery Territory
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
  18. coit

coit Posting at a high level

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    Why would the NCAA challenge a state law? They will just rule all California schools ineligible.

19. floridajacket

floridajacket The Real DB Cooper

Loc:
    Not Florida
    Team:
    The Jackets
    It would be a material change to TV contracts, allowing ESPN or CBS to get out of a contract or force a change in terms, especially in the contracts with the PAC-12.

20. coit

coit Posting at a high level

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    No change to contracts. They can play the games all they want. Just won’t count for anything in the NCAA’s eyes.