Fall Camp News

Stewartron

He has risen to the hype so obviously we need to raise the hype

Stewartron

The question isn't if he's better than Calvin, it's how long will it take us to admit that he's better than Calvin.

Stewartron

train_6.jpg

If he can jump a foot above the defender and make the catch, it doesn't matter how fast he is.

Making the catch is one thing, taking it to the house is another.

Of course I'd be happy with just the first, but would love to have a big play threat from our receivers. Having that would just make the triple option that much more potent.

For that, you need speed. Speed will allow you to get behind the coverage when running a route or outrun it to get yards after the catch.

We all know it's more than just catching to make a 1st-string wideout in this offense. I remember in CPJ's first year, seeing Greg Smith pull up and whiff a block that would have turned a 2-yard pitch into a touchdown. CPJ jerked him off the field by his facemask. I've still never seen him so angry.

We all know it's more than just catching to make a 1st-string wideout in this offense. I remember in CPJ's first year, seeing Greg Smith pull up and whiff a block that would have turned a 2-yard pitch into a touchdown. CPJ jerked him off the field by his facemask. I've still never seen him so angry.

The Embry Peeples fist full of jersey, heart full of despair photo from year 1 is also a classic.

I think we'll see more of those CPJ outbursts this year. I bet we even see a few in the first couple of games if we watch the sideline. It shouldn't be as bad as that first year since some of these guys have been in the system.

6. Ball security was exceptional, with one fumble in about 100 snaps. Thomas proposed that, despite the inexperience at the running back spots, the experience that he and Byerly compensates.

“A lot of times, the fumbles, it’s indecisiveness,” he said. “I think we’ve gotten better at that and just making a decision and just going with it.”

(Johnson’s less enthusiastic explanation: “There wasn’t a lot of people around the ball.”)

:lol:

I know it's tough to gauge playing against yourselves whether the offense is protecting the ball or the defense isn't producing turnovers, but all things being equal, I'd personally rather see our offense with zero turnovers in these scrimmages than our defense ballhawking. Gives me the warm and fuzzies.

I think we'll see more of those CPJ outbursts this year. I bet we even see a few in the first couple of games if we watch the sideline. It shouldn't be as bad as that first year since some of these guys have been in the system.

You're probably right, but it wasn't beginner mistakes that caused those rages in year 1. It was lack of effort. The Greg Smith incident I brought up was a total "I don't feel like it on this play".

Back