Fall Camp Thread

How long was the scrimmage? Most of our full games don't have 18 drives between the two teams.

18 drives is just north of two drives per team per quarter, or just north of 3 minutes per drive. That's not a particularly fast game. We have done better, sure, but I bet our average is right around there.

It was 18 drives that started on the 30. Not good stats which is why he was mad.

Well if we look at this as reflecting a good defense and not a poor offense, that's pretty freaking awesome. Means not only few points given up but great field position advantage. Even the FG drives were long FGs. When our O crosses midfield, we're much harder to stop than an average offense with and extra down to work with and very high red zone efficiency. I'm really excited by a defense that gets opponents moving backwards, 3 & outs, and turns the ball over. Obviously any defense that does that regularly is great, but this one might end up yielding similar points and yards but in more possessions since the stops come sooner in drives, and the offense will be closer to the goal line when they start moving. If it works out that way, our team will improve vastly, and on the surface it will look like it's due to the O.

18 drives is just north of two drives per team per quarter, or just north of 3 minutes per drive. That's not a particularly fast game. We have done better, sure, but I bet our average is right around there.

As I recall, last year there was a scrimmage open to season ticket holders from 9-11 prior to fan day. I would guess this was another 2 hour scrimmage, so 18 possessions would only allow about 7 minutes of actual time per possession, and one was the 18 play TD drive. Only a 3-and-out can take less than 5 minutes. I think 18 series means 18 series.

Last edited:
We normally have 10 to 12 possessions a game.

Other teams play 14 to 18 in a game.

I think/guess 1st string had a TD and a FG in ~9 to 11 possessions.... Almost a full game...

The notes say, "series", as opposed to "possessions". One of the TD drives was 18 plays, so that could have involved several series. The other TD was a two play drive (1 or 2 series).
I don’t know how you’re using the word “series.”

How can a two play drive consist of two series?

In the rw.com write up, series = possession.

A possession is definitely a series. I think he was just stretching to try to justify what was definitely a poor performance by the offense. I think it was posted earlier that CPJ has said as much himself.

Not to beat a dead horse over terminology, but a series is just the set of downs until the chains are moved. If on the first play of the series (1st and 10), the offense makes a first down, the chains move and the next series begins. If the offense scores on the next play (1st and 10), that is 2 plays and 2 series. I don't know if rw.com used the wrong terminology, though.

Here is the official definition of a "series" from Wikipedia:

series
A sequence of downs, beginning with a first down and including all subsequent downs until a new first down, score, or change of possession. A typical drive consists of multiple series.

Not to beat a dead horse over terminology, but a series is just the set of downs until the chains are moved. If on the first play of the series (1st and 10), the offense makes a first down, the chains move and the next series begins. If the offense scores on the next play (1st and 10), that is 2 plays and 2 series. I don't know if rw.com used the wrong terminology, though.

Here is the official definition of a "series" from Wikipedia:

series
A sequence of downs, beginning with a first down and including all subsequent downs until a new first down, score, or change of possession. A typical drive consists of multiple series.
Not that I'm a believer in definitions anyhow, but the "official" definition (ie, from the NCAA CFB Rulebook) is
NCAA Rulebook said:
A series comprises up to four consecutive downs that each begins with a snap.
I wonder how the other use of series (ie, possession) came to be the primary usage? For example, here's what hudl has to say about how they use the word...
hudl.com said:
We tag series to define the plays for one team’s attempt at scoring, starting when they gain possession of the ball. A series ends when the other team gains possession of the ball.
Come to think of it, I can't think of any time I've heard anyone in the media (or on this board, or wherever) talk about "series" meaning just the snaps between first downs.

Not that I'm a believer in definitions anyhow, but the "official" definition (ie, from the NCAA CFB Rulebook) is

I wonder how the other use of series (ie, possession) came to be the primary usage? For example, here's what hudl has to say about how they use the word...

Come to think of it, I can't think of any time I've heard anyone in the media (or on this board, or wherever) talk about "series" meaning just the snaps between first downs.

I frequently hear announcers refer to a player coming in for one series, meaning one set of downs, as opposed to the entire possession. What would be another term for the set of downs between moving of the chains?

I frequently hear announcers refer to a player coming in for one series, meaning one set of downs, as opposed to the entire possession. What would be another term for the set of downs between moving of the chains?
If I've heard that before, I assumed they meant for the possession. I will have to listen more attentively in the future.

As for another term for a series, I'm not sure I can think of a particular reason why we would need to make reference frequently to a set of downs, but if we did, we could just call it "a set of downs." Are there any interesting statistical measurements or strategic considerations that revolve around the set of downs (rather than a particular down)? Not that I can think of.

CPJ said in post practice presser that EVERYONE plays in the first scrimmage, so that includes true frosh and walk-ons. Defense always kills second team offense, so by throwing in freshman and walk-ons the defense will rule.

Article on Curry's injury recovery. Nothing terribly interesting... he is just back at practice. What I did find interesting, and this is the 2nd or 3rd article I've seen on this, is that the players are loving the new defensive scheme. It seems to be much more aggressive, lots of running. Woody is building out a 3 deep on defense with plenty of rotation.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...curry-competing-start/bR491dWusFXHbq6qowii3K/

Article on Curry's injury recovery. Nothing terribly interesting... he is just back at practice. What I did find interesting, and this is the 2nd or 3rd article I've seen on this, is that the players are loving the new defensive scheme. It seems to be much more aggressive, lots of running. Woody is building out a 3 deep on defense with plenty of rotation.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...curry-competing-start/bR491dWusFXHbq6qowii3K/

Um, is a 3 deep even legal? I've never heard of such a thing.

Still waiting for a cfb article where players rant about how much they hate the new system.

Back