Film review: why we got stomped

I don't like this excuse, but thanks for the Info, W Michigan found a way to beat them, W Michigan found a way to get them Blocked and go up & down the Field and on Defense they didn't give up 59 (they called off the O on that last kneel down)

In modern day CFB with all the Camps and specialized instruction and year round workouts at the HS Level, the Players get to college more prepared and ready to produce in their first 2 years.

In recent years at Bama- OhioSt-Clemson-UGA T-Fr Interior Linemen on both sides of the ball have made huge impacts early in their careers -- our Recruits should be doing similar things after 12 to 24 Months in our S&C Program.

It shouldn't take 3 yrs for our Recruits to make an impact at any position, our Recruits should be making a serious impact after 12 months of doing it our way, under our supervision and coaching.

I thought of one idea on this that is a 'possible' alternative. Is just speculation on my part, not sure it can really be proven. I wondered if Collins' idea to increase our talent was to focus on guys with great measurables who need a Lot more development on their technique/knowledge than the average recruit (and thus not as attractive to the bluest of bloods).

It is a possible explanation of events. That or we suck at developing players. We'll probably know in at most a year.

A couple thoughts:
1. They really kept in a lot of blockers. Hard to get much pressure when it's our 3 or 4 guys vs their 6 to 8 guys. There were some holding non calls, yeah, but we rarely fooled their protection schemes and most of the time had our guys double teamed all day. The few times they didn't keep the extra blockers in, we did get some pressure. They just banked on getting open eventually with all day to throw and they were right.
2. I hate when people say "our players didn't quit". BS. There was a lot of piss poor effort in the second and third quarters from what I saw.
3. Ugh those turnovers on the re-watch. Both plays were open and I can see an argument that Sims needs better pocket awareness, but pathetic OL play cost us 14 pts the other way right out of the gates. Just can't have free defenders at or behind the LOS. Get your damn heads up and hit somebody ffs.
4. Maybe I need to sober up to understand wtf is wrong with our run blocking and how it can possibly be THAT bad. I can't even figure out what we're TRYING to do. We seem completely incapable of executing plays with pulling linemen and don't sustain double teams in zone long enough to get leverage then miss the second level guy anyways. Just insanely frustrating to watch.

But we have maybe the best OL coach in the entire nation. Supposedly.

Hmm?

At the end of his Tenure as our HC, we lost a Gm vs Duke, where they stopped us on 4( or 5) 4th down and 1yd plays at various places on the Field, they weren't on the GL, but somehow lowly Duke had figured out how to stop us on 4th & short.

Profanity aside, at least be accurate when you retell the legend of our former, venerable HC

But how do you like CGC's press man coverage?

But we have maybe the best OL coach in the entire nation. Supposedly.

If you're thin on depth, you need time to rebuild. I've pushed back hard on the "cupboard is bare" excuse, but the ol and DL are both places we lacked depth and had only a couple studs (Braun, Adams come to mind)

*Edited to add Adams

I believed it, I still believe it, CGC never mentioned anything during the Week about 2 OLinemen being injured, and 2 new Guys playing, had he done that I would've been less optimistic.

I thought we were at full health other than the 2 Sr DEs.

Losing two linemen can be a huge difference maker and that should be taken into account for the Pitt game. Tech got manhandled on both lines of scrimmage though. I'm still not sure what the situation with UNC was but it's starting to look like they wet the bed in a big way against Tech. Not even halfway through the year yet so there is plenty of time to right the ship. I just lack faith in the staff until they show it.

If you're thin on depth, you need time to rebuild. I've pushed back hard on the "cupboard is bare" excuse, but the ol and DL are both places we lacked depth and had only a couple studs (Braun comes to mind)

True. Tech has always been thin in depth however. That is something recruiting can help fix. And that aspect of CGC still gives plenty hope for a better future. The inconsistent execution on the field gives lots of reason for increasing doubts also.

True. Tech has always been thin in depth however. That is something recruiting can help fix. And that aspect of CGC still gives plenty hope for a better future. The inconsistent execution on the field gives lots of reason for increasing doubts also.

I'm waiting for CGC to beat the worst record of the prior coach before saying I see hope that he averages better than the last coach. There are plenty of things we do well, but we seem oddly loathe to capitalize on them.

Sims seems to be a baller as an option QB and has a better than average arm for most of that build, but we don't seem to call much that much option. It seems like a large chunk of his rushes are scrambles. Yates seems more like your typical dual threat with better reads and accuracy than sims, but when the defense loads the box to force us into the air, we aren't playing Yates.

Wrs have generally been good, but I noticed several 3rd down plays where they ran routes short of the first. I don't know if that's an awareness issue or a play call issue.

Recruiting has definitely paid off. Our WR group is stacked. We have talent upon talent and they are all young. Unfortunately I expect several to portal out due to lack of playing time. Our RB group is stacked. We are so deep that Griffin can’t find the field and he is a beast. DLine is getting good and is night and day better than what we’ve seen since the days of Morgan. I hated to lose Curtis Ryans (while we kept Clayton and Harris). LB group is fine. Nothing special overall but way better than we’ve had. I know we’ve had some good games from guys like Thomas but they disappear way to often. DB’s have been subpar and I hope we see the young guys on the field like we did on offense last year. OLine is still a work in progress which is why I’ve been critical of Patenaude and his play calls. Since it appears he isn’t going to change his offensive philosophy I expect to see every team do what we all knew Pitt was going to do and make Sims beat them thru the air. UVA, VT, ND, BC, and UGA could all be repeats of Pitt if Patenaude doesn’t change his philosophy. When the OLine is ready then I’m all about what he wants to do but right now we just look foolish trying to run the ball.

It's called lesser Athletes on our OLine that don't have the balance, flexible hips and short area quickness for us to run some of those plays , we have some guys on the OL that needs to drop 15 + lbs of bad weight to improve quickness, IMO the quicker you are off the ball and the quicker you get into your man you have a much better chance to complete that Block successfully

- I'm not talking 6-3 285lbs, I'm talking 6-5 to 6-6 305lbs instead of 345 or 350lbs, a lot our guys' weights are listed too light, these guys play sluggish and overweight. I see too many plays where #54, #77,#70 get beat out of their stances by the DLs across from them

Later this week, check out YouTube and look at a condensed version of the Bama vs Miss Game, their OLine looked like an "Organized Ballet Troup of Grizzly Bears" , each OL showing perfect footwork, speed, pace, balance, and technique in carrying out their assignments.

It was amazing to watch, TBH I'd rather have those 5 than the the Guys the Falcons are putting out there right now.

Too many people are defaulting to the trite catch-all ambiguous concept of "coaching".

Look at it this way, imagine you are pitching coach, and the Mgr comes to you and says, " I gotta fire you, you aren't getting it done" and you reply " what am I not doing" & the Mgr says, "you aren't Coaching up my pitching staff into hitting 98 on the Radar Gun while painting the corners" --- this how all you guys sound when you say it's "coaching" , there are no magic words or practice drills to make our OL play better

In combat sports it is almost always the Raw Talent of the Players or the ceiling of those Players.

The coacing also has the recruiting and decisions on who to play.Its a package deal. Just ger-err-done!

Recruiting has definitely paid off. Our WR group is stacked. We have talent upon talent and they are all young. Unfortunately I expect several to portal out due to lack of playing time. Our RB group is stacked. We are so deep that Griffin can’t find the field and he is a beast. DLine is getting good and is night and day better than what we’ve seen since the days of Morgan. I hated to lose Curtis Ryans (while we kept Clayton and Harris). LB group is fine. Nothing special overall but way better than we’ve had. I know we’ve had some good games from guys like Thomas but they disappear way to often. DB’s have been subpar and I hope we see the young guys on the field like we did on offense last year. OLine is still a work in progress which is why I’ve been critical of Patenaude and his play calls. Since it appears he isn’t going to change his offensive philosophy I expect to see every team do what we all knew Pitt was going to do and make Sims beat them thru the air. UVA, VT, ND, BC, and UGA could all be repeats of Pitt if Patenaude doesn’t change his philosophy. When the OLine is ready then I’m all about what he wants to do but right now we just look foolish trying to run the ball.
Row 3, Column 1

2019 7th round ranged from $75k to $111k. I’m not sure there’s that much inflation yet, so it probably hasn;t changed much. Yeah if he makes 3rd round, his extra year pays off.

1) Your number skills need some improvement
2) Repost

A couple of years old, but here's the rough breakdown by round.

Don't give Pitt or Pickett too much credit. They were 6-5 both of the last two regular season, barely making bowls. They did enough to shoot themselves in the foot this game too. We just took no advantage whatsoever. And Pickett's 19/1 ratio has come against the likes of UMass, Tenn, Western MI, New Hampshire and GT.
Most of his accuracy I chock up to having a pretty good OL. Playing behind our OL, he would likely be terrible. If Sims had the protection Saturday that Pickett had, he'd look better than Pickett. Some of those Pickett scrambles are TD's with Sims

1) Your number skills need some improvement
2) Repost
My finger hit the damn reply when the dog jump in my lap. I corrected it because I was replying to 7th then 3rd round, but it sounded funny

Back