Film review: why we got stomped

It's called coaching and we lack that right now. I like Collins and his attitude. I love his will to win and how he loves his players, but at some point, he's going to have to make a decision about Pnod and Thatcher. These guys are not getting it done, plain and simple. We should never lose by that amount, especially at home. I'm willing to give Collins another year but he needs to make a change or he has to go.
You don’t understand how depleted our roster was when PJ left. Over half the team didn’t belong in any FBS conference, and certainly not a P5 conference. Give Collins time to get his own guys, let them grow older, and coach them up.

I'm so tired of this excuse
You’re tired of it because you probably don’t understand football.

Todd Stansbury actually played college football. That’s why he gave Collins an unprecedented contract term—-to give him time to recruit and make the corrections in personnel.

you don’t take many 18 or 19 year old 4 star recruits who are Freshmen or R-Fresh and expect them to compete against 21-22 year olds with 4-5 years of college football olaykng

You’re tired of it because you probably don’t understand football.

Todd Stansbury actually played college football. That’s why he gave Collins an unprecedented contract term—-to give him time to recruit and make the corrections in personnel.

you don’t take many 18 or 19 year old 4 star recruits who are Freshmen or R-Fresh and expect them to compete against 21-22 year olds with 4-5 years of college football olaykng
Here’s our starting defense yesterday. Point to the 18 and 19 year olds or the ones below P5 talent.

2B326CFE-6A42-4913-B7F2-40F705C97884.jpeg

We have freshmen and sophomores all across our DL. CPJ was blessed to take over a DL left with damn studs. Add in better LB's than CPJ ever recruited (sorry former CPJ players, but Chan's defenders were superior). Chan had superior corners and safeties. We haven't recruited a Landry or Scott or Wheeler or Guyton or Walker or Burnett or Wors-Daniels or Morgan......keep going.....since Chan left. If Collins had taken over for Chan with Walker, Guyton, Wheeler, Morgan, and Burnett on the squad, he'd have no excuse. We literally were a laughingstock defense when CPJ left. Our only defense was running clock. We have a couple of big guys up front that are young and we have a few more on the hook that I hope come here. Assholes like you certainly won't help the cause of getting them here.

Here’s our starting defense yesterday. Point to the 18 and 19 year olds or the ones below P5 talent.
Aside from Brooks, the next oldest player on the defensive line is a redshirt sophomore. The main 3 LBs are all juniors and have probably been the bright spot on defense this year.
The secondary is very experienced and have rarely shown flashes above mediocre. I've been constantly hearing how talented they are and how we should expect great things from them but I have seen very little on the field evidence as to Why. Maybe you'd call them P5 talent but I'm not so sure.

2B326CFE-6A42-4913-B7F2-40F705C97884.jpeg
Screenshot_20211003-160601~2.png

Here is what I see and why I remain positive. I realize some fonts expect us to be Alabama this season, but we are building.

If someone told you something was going to take 5 years to fix, then duh that answer isn't going to be any different in year 3 regardless of how tired of it you are. That's not to say 5 years is a particular number of importance, it's just an example.

The both lines needed to basically be rebuilt from scratch (the defensive line has been mediocre at best for like a decade and the offensive line wasn't great either even before any transition stuff is discussed) and that is not a fast process.
I had kinda hoped the offensive line would either be further along or younger at this point. Can maybe say one more year would make sense for rebuilding that, have non-transfer juniors maybe (or would that only be for linemen picked up in the ass end of the 2019 class?), but the current state is indeed weaker and will be in full on prove it mode soon.

Aside from Brooks, the next oldest player on the defensive line is a redshirt sophomore. The main 3 LBs are all juniors and have probably been the bright spot on defense this year.
The secondary is very experienced and have rarely shown flashes above mediocre. I've been constantly hearing how talented they are and how we should expect great things from them but I have seen very little on the field evidence as to Why. Maybe you'd call them P5 talent but I'm not so sure.
How can the secondary be great when we have nobody that remotely resembles a shut down corner?

Something has got to give with this line of thought.

We have experienced, older transfers in the secondary from blue blood programs. We have highly recruited and talented kids that have been with us over a year now.

So,either Thomas, Carpenter, and Swilling (who I assume you’re saying in code) aren’t the scrubs you want to label them or our recruiting and eye for talent isn’t up to par, as you think it is.

How can the secondary be great when we have nobody that remotely resembles a shut down corner?
I mean, that's my point. It's just whenever someone says the defense wasn't all that good or talented when all this started, the counter had been to point to the secondary, which never made sense to me.

Something has got to give with this line of thought.

We have experienced, older transfers in the secondary from blue blood programs. We have highly recruited and talented kids that have been with us over a year now.

So,either Thomas, Carpenter, and Swilling (who I assume you’re saying in code) aren’t the scrubs you want to label them or our recruiting and eye for talent isn’t up to par, as you think it is.

I'll answer those in order:
Who are the experienced, older transfers in the secondary? All I see as transfers there are Derrik Allen from ND (listed as redshirt freshman) and Miles Sims from Miami (listed as redshirt sophomore).
Wow, over a Year?! That's so much experience right?
Maybe relying on these older players Is a sign that the younger players recruited behind them aren't so great, but it's too soon to be sure. Even if the younger players are more talented it takes time to be ready to perform on the field. I don't think the recruiting has been That great that you can expect instant performance.
My opinion of the secondary is probably not entirely fair, there is probably more contribution to it from the front seven and that area has been discussed.

Pickett has 19 TD's and 1 pick this season. He is balling out. It is a combination of a guy playing his 5th year at QB and a damn good OL

I'll answer those in order:
Who are the experienced, older transfers in the secondary? All I see as transfers there are Derrik Allen from ND (listed as redshirt freshman) and Miles Sims from Miami (listed as redshirt sophomore).
Wow, over a Year?! That's so much experience right?
Maybe relying on these older players Is a sign that the younger players recruited behind them aren't so great, but it's too soon to be sure. Even if the younger players are more talented it takes time to be ready to perform on the field. I don't think the recruiting has been That great that you can expect instant performance.
My opinion of the secondary is probably not entirely fair, there is probably more contribution to it from the front seven and that area has been discussed.
Ignoring the fact that freshman and sophomores are finding more playing time than ever before in today’s game, even at blue bloods and even along OL and DL.

The secondary, much like the skill positions on offense, has continued to always be easy for youngsters to contribute right away.

We have more younger talent in that position group (the lauded Rivals 5.7 3 star and even 4 stars mind you) than any other.

Yet, even at such a position group as the secondary, they can’t unseat our trash older players - those which are less than qualified to even be on a P5 roster to begin with.

That’s your and others position, and it makes no sense.

Ignoring the fact that freshman and sophomores are finding more playing time than ever before in today’s game, even at blue bloods and even along OL and DL.

The secondary, much like the skill positions on offense, has continued to always be easy for youngsters to contribute right away.

We have more younger talent in that position group (the lauded Rivals 5.7 3 star and even 4 stars mind you) than any other.

Yet, even at such a position group as the secondary, they can’t unseat our trash older players - those which are less than qualified to even be on a P5 roster to begin with.

That’s your and others position, and it makes no sense.

Maybe the recruiting sites are wrong and maybe mediocrity is the ceiling for the whole group. Can only say I haven't been impressed with the older secondary players and the younger ones can only be judged by inference, not as much direct evidence. The inference isn't meaningless, it may bode poorly for the future, but is not very conclusive.

Screenshot_20211003-160601~2.png

Here is what I see and why I remain positive. I realize some fonts expect us to be Alabama this season, but we are building.
OK. Now add one year to all of those. Because that’s who/what they actually are and there will be massive transfers as they get older and don’t get PT.

You don’t understand how depleted our roster was when PJ left. Over half the team didn’t belong in any FBS conference, and certainly not a P5 conference. Give Collins time to get his own guys, let them grow older, and coach them up.
So why are they still playing key roles?

On secondary - I think Swilling is pretty good. All cornrerbacks get beat some but all-in-all he does a decent job and he definitely is not targeted. The others not good - #2 particularly stands out to me to be a weak link and I don't mind calling him out a bit. Last year he was hurt - this year he just gets beat.

Back