Film review: why we got stomped

Funny how groups of fans in different section of the stadium had the same idea. We were discussing the luck in not giving up an easy TD, guy next to me said a smart coach runs the same play & wham another TD. You could see it coming.
Glad we weren't the only ones who saw it.

I bet y'all also said "I don't even know why Pitt would attempt to run the ball. I'd pass every down." #7 would have had 25 catches, all for first downs, if I coached Pitt.

No bumping. Their WRs were allowed to run unfettered. Plus, are we not used to playing on this surface yet? Is Adidas just designing the top of the shoes? How many times do our corners and safeties fall down on a route. Perhaps the cleats made from Teflon weren't the best idea. They do stay clean tho
Surely you’d think one of the greatest technological Institutes in the world can figure out a turf and cleat combo that doesn’t suck. Hey Geoff, go over to that place with all the fat books and ask one of those dorky looking kids at the desk looking things with all the weird formulas & fancy charts and graphs. One of them has to know how materials perform under different conditions.

I don’t want to pick on any specific player too much, but we have a corner who is somewhat new to the position. He repeatedly gets burned or gives so much of a cushion that he’s basically there for the first tackle attempt after conceding the pass. I’m talking he’s 10-15 yards off his man on the routes and it’s consistent.

Then the safeties on those long TD passes.HTF are the safeties allowing a guy on a corner route to get 10 yards behind them?

If they aren’t calling timeouts or yelling to get him in position it’s on the coaches or BY DESIGN. Doesn’t Geoff coach the Db’s?

Glad we weren't the only ones who saw it.

I bet y'all also said "I don't even know why Pitt would attempt to run the ball. I'd pass every down." #7 would have had 25 catches, all for first downs, if I coached Pitt.
That in fact did get discussed, but I reminded them that Pitt gashed us for over 300 yds rushing last year. Damn Pickett was making ham sammiches in the pocket for his OL on virtually every play. Did anyone ever lay a hand on him outside of a designed running play?

That in fact did get discussed, but I reminded them that Pitt gashed us for over 300 yds rushing last year. Damn Pickett was making ham sammiches in the pocket for his OL on virtually every play. Did anyone ever lay a hand on him outside of a designed running play?
I actually saw him turn and ask one of the Pitt cheerleaders if she could go get him a couple of chili cheese dogs and an FO, while he was in the pocket. When she got back with the order, he was still in the pocket going through his progressions, again. It was bad

So I am curious how the max protect that Pitt was in also created guys running free in our secondary at the same time? These seem like mutually exclusive concepts because if you have more pass blockers then you have less receivers... I dun get it.

So I am curious how the max protect that Pitt was in also created guys running free in our secondary at the same time? These seem like mutually exclusive concepts because if you have more pass blockers then you have less receivers... I dun get it.
Well…it goes like this: good coaches see what we are doing and say to themselves, “Wow. They are really bad at this. Let’s exploit it by doing this.” Then we come out and do the bad thing over and over again for the rest of the season.

Cause this experienced secondary has never been as good as people have made them out to be.

Cause this experienced secondary has never been as good as people have made them out to be.
This is the right answer. Going back to CPJ days when we talked about a deep and experienced secondary, they were never as good on field as they were on paper. Same is true now. We have a damned option qb playing one of the CB positions. He may be a great athlete, but he isn’t a CB.

This is the right answer. Going back to CPJ days when we talked about a deep and experienced secondary, they were never as good on field as they were on paper. Same is true now. We have a damned option qb playing one of the CB positions. He may be a great athlete, but he isn’t a CB.
Yea, they seemed to target him, especially early. Similar to Matt Ryan targeting Pat Clark, who converted from WR.

Watching the replay and 1st INT Vaipulu missed his read and left the guy he was supposed to block untouched, 2nd INT Johnson blocked the turf trying to cut block and looked like Vaipulu could not get all the all over to the edge to block when he tripped due to the interior line collapsing. Not sure who making the OL calls, but something is off. Some of our transfers need to ride the pine during run plays. They look like fish outta water.
Why was a 6-6 320lbs+ guy that is also a 6th yr senior trying to cut block on a pass play involving a deeper route?

I can understand cutting a DE on a bubble screen or a quick out to get his hands down.

A 6th yr Senior that has good basic logic as evidenced by his academics off the field should have the "FB savvy" to know that you don't use a cut block in that situation.

These are the things that drives coaches crazy, I can promise anyone that CBK didn't coach that technique for that pass play, this a case where the Player went "rogue", when that happens we need to instill discipline by benching that Player for the rest of that Qtr, maybe Half.

Something has to be done to make us more disciplined in Games.

Why was a 6-6 320lbs+ guy that is also a 6th yr senior trying to cut block on a pass play involving a deeper route?

I can understand cutting a DE on a bubble screen or a quick out to get his hands down.

A 6th yr Senior that has good basic logic as evidenced by his academics off the field should have the "FB savvy" to know that you don't use a cut block in that situation.

These are the things that drives coaches crazy, I can promise anyone that CBK didn't coach that technique for that pass play, this a case where the Player went "rogue", when that happens we need to instill discipline by benching that Player for the rest of that Qtr, maybe Half.

Something has to be done to make us more disciplined in Games.
You’d cut depending on the entire route combination of the play, and you’d have to start by knowing which of those was the primary to entirely judge whether cutting was rogue.

You’d cut depending on the entire route combination of the play, and you’d have to start by knowing which of those was the primary to entirely judge whether cutting was rogue.
Sims was looking at at a deep crossing route (he said so in a Post Gm presser), does that give you enough Info to know more about what our OT did?

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because he landed on his belly across the LOS and didn’t touch anyone. There were a lot of plays where Johnson seemed to either whiff or took himself out of the play. Frankly, his run blocking is generally suboptimal and is a consistent weak area for him.

Again I’m assuming it was an RPO play, you know Run Pass Option where you block like a running play and have the option to Run or Pass. It was not the only play where the OL appeared to be on different blocking schemes on the same play. The first INT Vaipulu looked like he was blocking the wrong guy, but he and Cochran ran into each other so who knows. Either way 2 guys blocked 1 guy and left another a free path to QB.

Sims was looking at at a deep crossing route (he said so in a Post Gm presser), does that give you enough Info to know more about what our OT did?
No. You still don’t know what his progression was. We only know where he was going with it. We don’t know the route combination as well as the pre- and post-snap reads dictating the decision.

You won’t ever have the full picture to make the conclusion you made.

If you are taking about the second pick, the deep route WR was wide open. If Sims doesn't get hit and delivers it clean, huge gain/TD

It's OK if you rush just 3 but those 3 have to *eventually* get some pressure or you'll get picked apart by an accurate passer. Just not realistic to have every guy on your secondary lock down every receiver

Thacker said something in the weekly presser about how the lay fan is always yelling about sending more guys at a good QB, and how that was naive. He's wrong and the lay fan is right

Back