Film review: why we got stomped

How about I put you on ignore and you put me on ignore.

I thought this was a forum where people could talk about about GT FB with a reasonably high level of insight and inside information?

Instead, we get such "gems" like - "it was the coaching", " it was the QB", "he should've called a better play" - the kind of things you'd hear from a HS band member instead of grown Men that have watched GT FB for upwards of 20 years.

The funniest thing in all this, is guys like you on occasion ask why GT doesn't pick up more sidewalk fans like other Colleges.

Maybe take a look at how you guys act to what is "normal FB talk" everywhere else on the Internet.

Later, I won't be wasting anymore time around here.
For what it is worth, I don't know why the öööö people are acting the way they are towards you, aside from the standard reasons a large percentage of the board can't stop being cunts anymore. I won't recommend you stay if you'd rather not because it's not worth subjecting yourself to if you're not enjoying it or if it's detracting from your experience cheering for Tech. But I will say that if you're going to stay, I recommend outright ignoring anyone who is trolling or posting something inflammatory. The discussions you're looking for do exist here and so do the people who care about discussing football rather than how unacceptable everything will always be until they're finally put in charge. But those discussions and most of the people who have them will almost never be on the day of a loss, because they too have seen what the place devolves into.

If you're a troll, congratulations, you fooled me I guess. If not, don't let them run you off just because they're drunk and pissed off.

For what it is worth, I don't know why the öööö people are acting the way they are towards you, aside from the standard reasons a large percentage of the board can't stop being cunts anymore. I won't recommend you stay if you'd rather not because it's not worth subjecting yourself to if you're not enjoying it or if it's detracting from your experience cheering for Tech. But I will say that if you're going to stay, I recommend outright ignoring anyone who is trolling or posting something inflammatory. The discussions you're looking for do exist here and so do the people who care about discussing football rather than how unacceptable everything will always be until they're finally put in charge. But those discussions and most of the people who have them will almost never be on the day of a loss, because they too have seen what the place devolves into.

If you're a troll, congratulations, you fooled me I guess. If not, don't let them run you off just because they're drunk and pissed off.
They don't like the information he's presenting. They aren't sure they can say he's wrong and because of this they attack him instead.

They don't like the information he's presenting. They aren't sure they can say he's wrong and because of this they attack him instead.
He's said a few things that have pissed me off, sure. But he's never said anything that, after a day or to to think about it, that I honestly disagree with. He's right.

Bullshit. CPJ knows how to score on a 1st and goal at the one with short fat guys. Patnerd does not.
Asshole dip öööö ignorant Johnson lover!

Guess you forgot first & goal from the 4 at VIPPYSUE in 2010. Really, Johnson passing from the 4 cost us that game. We had just run the length of the field. Paul Johnson play calling sucked. Don’t brings laurels here for him, asshole.

The OL played like dogshit but at least we got to read several articles about how they bonded during the offseason.
Watching the replay and 1st INT Vaipulu missed his read and left the guy he was supposed to block untouched, 2nd INT Johnson blocked the turf trying to cut block and looked like Vaipulu could not get all the all over to the edge to block when he tripped due to the interior line collapsing. Not sure who making the OL calls, but something is off. Some of our transfers need to ride the pine during run plays. They look like fish outta water.

A couple thoughts:
1. They really kept in a lot of blockers. Hard to get much pressure when it's our 3 or 4 guys vs their 6 to 8 guys. There were some holding non calls, yeah, but we rarely fooled their protection schemes and most of the time had our guys double teamed all day. The few times they didn't keep the extra blockers in, we did get some pressure. They just banked on getting open eventually with all day to throw and they were right.
2. I hate when people say "our players didn't quit". BS. There was a lot of piss poor effort in the second and third quarters from what I saw.
3. Ugh those turnovers on the re-watch. Both plays were open and I can see an argument that Sims needs better pocket awareness, but pathetic OL play cost us 14 pts the other way right out of the gates. Just can't have free defenders at or behind the LOS. Get your damn heads up and hit somebody ffs.
4. Maybe I need to sober up to understand wtf is wrong with our run blocking and how it can possibly be THAT bad. I can't even figure out what we're TRYING to do. We seem completely incapable of executing plays with pulling linemen and don't sustain double teams in zone long enough to get leverage then miss the second level guy anyways. Just insanely frustrating to watch.
Pretty simple explanation, they whipped our ass on both sides of the ball. They are well coached

Our secondary also sucked. At least the two guys they picked on with passes sucked.

I was trying to be political with the first bullet point, but it's sticking in my craw, so here goes:

We were dropping 8 against 3 or 4 routes and they were still getting wide the öööö open. That's absolutely ööööing pathetic. How the hell you let anyone get over the top of you in that scenario is incredible. I said it after last game and got negative rated, but we still struggle when passing receivers between zones and just have way too much miscommunication on the back side.

Our secondary also sucked. At least the two guys they picked on with passes sucked.
The long TD throw the WR was allowed to run down the field like Usain Bolt out of the starter blocks with no defensive player bothering to get in his way.
Also, they would have had a TD one play earlier had the Pitt QB seen #7 open in the same damn place (Pitt threw to the left short and incomplete, iirc). I am supposing #7 communicated how open he was on the prior play and, like good coaches do, Pitt's OC sent a speedy WR that way on the next play for a TD. Me and the guy next to me had just discussed how we were lucky Pitt didn't throw that pass and BAM, they do it on the next play. Wide ass open. No safety, corner, LB altered his path in any way.

Did they suck or is it just really hard to cover guys for 10 full seconds? Their 8th year senior QB had an absolute eternity on 90% of the snaps.

They might still suck, but covering that long is a hard ask.
It shouldn't be when you have the numbers advantage we did.

I was trying to be political with the first bullet point, but it's sticking in my craw, so here goes:

We were dropping 8 against 3 or 4 routes and they were still getting wide the öööö open. That's absolutely ööööing pathetic. How the hell you let anyone get over the top of you in that scenario is incredible. I said it after last game and got negative rated, but we still struggle when pushing receivers between zones and just have way too much miscommunication on the back side.
I don’t want to pick on any specific player too much, but we have a corner who is somewhat new to the position. He repeatedly gets burned or gives so much of a cushion that he’s basically there for the first tackle attempt after conceding the pass. I’m talking he’s 10-15 yards off his man on the routes and it’s consistent.

Then the safeties on those long TD passes.HTF are the safeties allowing a guy on a corner route to get 10 yards behind them?

I don’t want to pick on any specific player too much, but we have a corner who is somewhat new to the position. He repeatedly gets burned or gives so much of a cushion that he’s basically there for the first tackle attempt after conceding the pass. I’m talking he’s 10-15 yards off his man on the routes and it’s consistent.

Then the safeties on those long TD passes.HTF are the safeties allowing a guy on a corner route to get 10 yards behind them?
No bumping. Their WRs were allowed to run unfettered. Plus, are we not used to playing on this surface yet? Is Adidas just designing the top of the shoes? How many times do our corners and safeties fall down on a route. Perhaps the cleats made from Teflon weren't the best idea. They do stay clean tho

The only way I could explain this performance would involve our players sneaking out the night before and involving hookers and blow.

No bumping. Their WRs were allowed to run unfettered. Plus, are we not used to playing on this surface yet? Is Adidas just designing the top of the shoes? How many times do our corners and safeties fall down on a route. Perhaps the cleats made from Teflon weren't the best idea. They do stay clean tho
It’s not just no bumping. Not to get political, but our corner back play looks like that graph of election night vote totals.
15EBCAE8-2D2C-447C-87D8-78C6BA0DD575.jpeg

Is that CB #8?

The long TD throw the WR was allowed to run down the field like Usain Bolt out of the starter blocks with no defensive player bothering to get in his way.
Also, they would have had a TD one play earlier had the Pitt QB seen #7 open in the same damn place (Pitt threw to the left short and incomplete, iirc). I am supposing #7 communicated how open he was on the prior play and, like good coaches do, Pitt's OC sent a speedy WR that way on the next play for a TD. Me and the guy next to me had just discussed how we were lucky Pitt didn't throw that pass and BAM, they do it on the next play. Wide ass open. No safety, corner, LB altered his path in any way.
Funny how groups of fans in different section of the stadium had the same idea. We were discussing the luck in not giving up an easy TD, guy next to me said a smart coach runs the same play & wham another TD. You could see it coming.

Agree with most everything y'all saw. Other thoughts:
  • OL missing a lot of blocks for sure. I don't know that player x-training is working so well there. However, Sims misses a lot of reads that is also making the OL look even worse. You can tell when 77 chips his guy in, and looks frustrated that Sims gave the ball for a 2-yd loss, instead of pulling it and following him around the edge. Saw a few of those. Not sure if the same was true for the right-side OL
  • Maybe Pitt was playing different D in the 2nd half, but looked like P'node adjusted and was calling some good plays to give our guys chances. We were getting yards. However, in those short-yardage situations, we were running same plays that weren't / haven't been successful. Could be Sims' reads, could be o-line, bit of both, but trying same thing just isn't working
  • Man- looks like to me we got several really crappy spots by the refs. Some on us that were negative and some positive for Pitt (including the fair catch on the punt....sheesh- looks like they gave him 2+ yards from where he actually caught it). Not a game swinger- and maybe I'm totally off- but seems that way to me.
  • Was #3 really down on that punt return? Guess they're calling the forearm down? Either way- should'a let that play run and then review instead of blowing it dead
  • #13 and #2 had tough days on D to me. This is where coaching stands out to me. 13 shot in from deep right from the snap. Why? Didn't even let the play develop. I'm in west stands- as soon as I saw that, was like "uh-oh." Sure 'nuff, Pickett goes over the top for like 30 yard gain.
  • D was gassed (of course). Thought we were high on ourselves for rotating 9 guys or something on the D-line? Didn't look like much rotating. Where is Clayton? Didn't even see him on the sidelines. Mystery.
  • C Thomas was definitely held on their TD. Gotta call that. Probably doesn't really change the game, but still. Other than that- didn't see a lot of egregious holding by Pitt. Mostly wrapped our guys up with a lot of double-teams by keeping guys in since we only had 3. Even when we brought pressure- they had plenty to pick it up with ample protection.
  • Do Smith is an elite back. Been saying since last year he needs many more touches. Let him and Mason hit inside. Use Gibbs outside and wheel-routes, screens, etc where he's so dangerous. Until he got hurt last year- that's what he was doing. O-line should be better this year- but how we're using Gibbs isn't effective.
  • Pitt is a heavy upper-class team with a very good, experienced Q. That's going to be tough for us.
On to Dook. Let's take care of business and get a road win to even us back up to 3-3. Duck Fuke. GO JACKETS!!

Back