Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Give him at least two years #iStandWithCoit

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Fire his ass tomorrow

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I love Ted Roof #MyNameIsCoit

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters
"Promote" Roof to co-head coach, give him a pay cut, bring in a new DC.

Have Roof focus soley on recruiting/motivation, have him go out on fundraisers, hell let him do the coaches shows and radio shows let him be the face of the program.

Duke scored on 5 of 12 meaningful drives, one of which started at the 10 yard line and lasted one play.
How on earth is it possible that this Stat is true, AND we almost lost with the best QB performance in the entire nation?

How on earth is it possible that this Stat is true, AND we almost lost with the best QB performance in the entire nation?

We punted 3 times, fumbled twice, and turned it over on downs once. So 6 of our 12 meaningful drives ended in no points.

Marshall had 1 carry for 50 yards, and 12 carries for 19 yards. We got 50 yards or so out of the ABs.

It was a one-man offensive performance for the most part.

Did I miss something? Hasn't that been the very premise of your defense of the Roof led defense?

Beestorms Moms basement

Yes, you are missing something. No one has said this defense is great, the question is whether it is Ted's fault or if the fault lies elsewhere. On the other hand, people are pointing out that this defense isn't as horrible as some want to believe (it is roughly average), and Ted isn't as highly paid as some others want to believe (he's paid roughly average).

Yes, you are missing something. No one has said this defense is great, the question is whether it is Ted's fault or if the fault lies elsewhere. On the other hand, people are pointing out that this defense isn't as horrible as some want to believe (it is roughly average), and Ted isn't as highly paid as some others want to believe (he's paid roughly average).
Great and fine have different meanings.

The fault is not singular here.

Beestorms Moms basement

Saban has two coaches/staff to every player.
This. We all know Roof has the knowledge to be a very good D-coor but, I'm starting to believe he and the whole staff are stretched too thin. The whole coaching staff seems overwhelmed.

Beestorms Moms basement

Ask coit about fine.

Seriously, why is everyone putting words in my mouth?

I wish our Defense was better. I wish we had Bama's defense. Aside from that, I don't really see any other defenses that are just dominating other teams each and every week.

In terms of getting stops and having drives that end in no points, the defense has achieved that in the 2nd half of every game except the past two. The Duke game, I think it is understandable, since our offense and special teams were a dumpster fire in the 2nd half for the most part. The Pitt game was quite baffling.

But we did hold Clemson to 3 points in the 2nd half, if you will remember. And also did well against Miami. But as the season goes on, teams are able to watch tape and review our style of defense and find ways to exploit it. That will be at issue again this week against UNC who's had the off week to prepare for us, offensively and defensively.

The only point I would make is that Roof isn't the problem at the current time. The problem is a lack of maturity and depth. The Dwag Nation doesn't have any problem understanding that, I hear it all the time from their fans. Coach needs time to rebuild. Roof has been starting numerous true freshmen since he got here. That is never going to be a recipe for success. I think the time to judge him is the 2018 season.

Others have questioned scheme, but I really don't think he can do anything about that with the guys he has. And I defer to him and his staff to know better than the rest of you guys. People have compared the situation to Groh, but it isn't the same at all. Groh wanted to run a 3-4 defense. That was idiotic, as we didn't have the personnel, and were never going to get the personnel to run that.

So, getting rid of Roof and bringing someone else in isn't going to help the situation. You make a switch, you may lose some kids that you have coming in. You may have personality clashes with existing players, etc. It happens. After Roof has 5 classes of kids under his wing, we will be able to see what he can do. Then changes can be made if needed.

I wish our Defense was better. I wish we had Bama's defense. Aside from that, I don't really see any other defenses that are just dominating other teams each and every week.

In terms of getting stops and having drives that end in no points, the defense has achieved that in the 2nd half of every game except the past two. The Duke game, I think it is understandable, since our offense and special teams were a dumpster fire in the 2nd half for the most part. The Pitt game was quite baffling.

But we did hold Clemson to 3 points in the 2nd half, if you will remember. And also did well against Miami. But as the season goes on, teams are able to watch tape and review our style of defense and find ways to exploit it. That will be at issue again this week against UNC who's had the off week to prepare for us, offensively and defensively.

The only point I would make is that Roof isn't the problem at the current time. The problem is a lack of maturity and depth. The Dwag Nation doesn't have any problem understanding that, I hear it all the time from their fans. Coach needs time to rebuild. Roof has been starting numerous true freshmen since he got here. That is never going to be a recipe for success. I think the time to judge him is the 2018 season.

Others have questioned scheme, but I really don't think he can do anything about that with the guys he has. And I defer to him and his staff to know better than the rest of you guys. People have compared the situation to Groh, but it isn't the same at all. Groh wanted to run a 3-4 defense. That was idiotic, as we didn't have the personnel, and were never going to get the personnel to run that.

So, getting rid of Roof and bringing someone else in isn't going to help the situation. You make a switch, you may lose some kids that you have coming in. You may have personality clashes with existing players, etc. It happens. After Roof has 5 classes of kids under his wing, we will be able to see what he can do. Then changes can be made if needed.
I agree. ;)

Beestorms Moms basement

[/thread]

image.jpeg

Back