First they came for the fight song...

The Jacket

The Coat
No, I think it's fine and this is dumb. And I'm usually on the "just change it" side of these issues.

I don't worry too much about them changing the word. They can change it but it can always be changed back. I watched the Gordonairs' Ramblin' Wreck from the 50's or whenever the other day, and they said "heck" instead of "hell". Seems silly now and no one says "heck". I imagine years down the line this whole join vs. cheer controversy will seem silly too.
I'm not an alumnus so obviously I'm a bit out of my depth here. But I think to be a sidewalk fan of this nightmarish rollercoaster, you have to identify in some way, shape, or form with at least the sports program, if not the institute itself and some sort of ideal you imagine it represents. In that capacity, or whatever, even if this does get changed and then fixed back down the road, I'd like to see the school/program on the right side of the issue while it's at hand. To the extent that it's part of a larger social issue in which I believe rational and critical thinking are being effectively attacked and demonized, I don't think this is unimportant. It matters whether Tech and the people it produces and represents take a stand against this intellectual virus when it comes knocking on the flats.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I'm not an alumnus so obviously I'm a bit out of my depth here. But I think to be a sidewalk fan of this nightmarish rollercoaster, you have to identify in some way, shape, or form with at least the sports program, if not the institute itself and some sort of ideal you imagine it represents. In that capacity, or whatever, even if this does get changed and then fixed back down the road, I'd like to see the school/program on the right side of the issue while it's at hand. To the extent that it's part of a larger social issue in which I believe rational and critical thinking are being effectively attacked and demonized, I don't think this is unimportant. It matters whether Tech and the people it produces and represents take a stand against this intellectual virus when it comes knocking on the flats.
Ultimately, there will only be 7 words in the English language we will be allowed to use that won't be considered offensive. George Carlin gave them to us.

The Jacket

The Coat
Ultimately, there will only be 7 words in the English language we will be allowed to use that won't be considered offensive. George Carlin gave them to us.
The ööööing singularity approaches. öööö.

The Jacket

The Coat
So is it safe to assume that the reference to Georgia as a "her" we're going to beat, and the "jolly good fellows" will be among the targets in this "broader" review, as they misogynistically call it?

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
No, I think it's fine and this is dumb. And I'm usually on the "just change it" side of these issues.

I don't worry too much about them changing the word. They can change it but it can always be changed back. I watched the Gordonairs' Ramblin' Wreck from the 50's or whenever the other day, and they said "heck" instead of "hell". Seems silly now and no one says "heck". I imagine years down the line this whole join vs. cheer controversy will seem silly too.
Can you provide any examples of "it" being changed back?

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Soon the attack will simply be on "YELLOW" Jackets.

This game going on is simply about proving one's Liberal Ithood.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
If I were going to change the song, I’d change “like his daddy used to do” to “like his daddy taught him to.”

I have sons, and I still yell THWG.

But the last thing I’d want to do is set a precedent for changing the song in today’s climate.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
But the last thing I’d want to do is set a precedent for changing the song in today’s climate.
Never give in unless you just want to continue giving in.

If anything about the song was truly "offensive" then people frowning and being silent when the song is sung would be a regular occurrence. The only people who do that are merely rooting for the other team, they are not torn up about something in the song.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Never give in unless you just want to continue giving in.

If anything about the song was truly "offensive" then people frowning and being silent when the song is sung would be a regular occurrence. The only people who do that are merely rooting for the other team, they are not torn up about something in the song.
I will never sing lyrics other than the ones my dad taught me when I was 3.

CorpusJacket

Varsity Lurker
Coit, wasn't there a time we played "Dixie" 3rd quarter?
Not Coit here, but the answer is yes. It had a distinct drumline intro, so we all knew what was coming. Truth is, it was a great pep song.

And believe it or not, we had a good bull session one night about whether we should keep playing it. This was in the 1970s! My argument was yes, for two reasons. 1) The author was a Yankee, so no intent to secede or endorsement of slavery was involved in composing the song. 2) The night after Richmond fell, a band played on the White House lawn, and the people came to celebrate. When the band struck up Dixie, someone asked Lincoln if they should be stopped. The President said no, he liked the tune. If it's good enough for the signer of the Emancipation Proclamation, it's good enough for me.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Maybe players will take a knee this year whenever the fight song is played.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Not Coit here, but the answer is yes. It had a distinct drumline intro, so we all knew what was coming. Truth is, it was a great pep song.

And believe it or not, we had a good bull session one night about whether we should keep playing it. This was in the 1970s! My argument was yes, for two reasons. 1) The author was a Yankee, so no intent to secede or endorsement of slavery was involved in composing the song. 2) The night after Richmond fell, a band played on the White House lawn, and the people came to celebrate. When the band struck up Dixie, someone asked Lincoln if they should be stopped. The President said no, he liked the tune. If it's good enough for the signer of the Emancipation Proclamation, it's good enough for me.
You know Lincoln was a racist bigot and the cancel culture hate him right??

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
If I were going to change the song, I’d change “like his daddy used to do” to “like his daddy taught him to.”

I have sons, and I still yell THWG.

I’m surprised they don’t want to change daddy to parent. The change they’re suggesting doesn’t even make sense.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan

You’re a gentleman and a scholar sir.