Fitz on lower attendance

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyptomcat, Jul 21, 2019.

1. coit

coit Miss me?

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    That’s covered in the 10 million credits episode of Black Mirror. People watching have Avatars of themselves in the audience.

2. gtGreg768b

gtGreg768b Elemenopee

Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    But you would have missed the whole Vanessa Carlton fiasco if you hadn't been in the stands for UVA last year

• Like Like x 3
  3. ScionOfSouthland

ScionOfSouthland Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Empire City of the South
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I was there for this as well. 10 rows up when the Austin twins ran it into the end zone. TV has become a replacement for casual viewing, but we still have a ways to go to replace the big games.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gobees

Gobees Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Alpharetta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Preach on, brother. 6 times a year ain't enough. 40 years and counting, good and bad years alike, and it will never get old.

• Like Like x 5
  5. jts1207

jts1207 Making Stingtalk Great Again

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets

Flip to another game

6. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Fitzgerald’s comments are valid. I do believe that to keep people coming to games TV has to make some concessions. Let game times be set before the season begins so that alums and fans can plan travel. Let each conference have only one 12 PM slotted game each week. We are scheduling too many games in the noon Eastern time slot. One reason is that networks want game goers back home watching 3:30 and 7:30 games. But, fans, especially students, don’t like the noon, or in CDT/CST zone 11 AM starts.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GT flunkout

GT flunkout your mom

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    GEORGIA TECH
    I think he's right about phones and the whole deal with it all of a sudden being a better experience to sit at home and watch it on TV is really overblown.

No one was going to games because the replay angles on TV weren't very good. It's not like we just got climate control and beer in your fridge at home in the last 10 years.

It's not even really phones by themselves. It's the fact that they have irreparably altered our attention spans to the point people have to have multiple modes of stimuli at all times.

At the same time, if your event is cool enough, people will come. Even if it's just to check in on social media to say that they were there.

Edit - and to the previous posters point 12:00 kickoffs are really not cool

• Like Like x 3
  8. JacketForLife

JacketForLife No more small ball, thanks

Loc:
    Your Head
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    Well yeah. But commercial timeouts suck when you’re at the game. Sometimes they’re great when you’re playing, but mostly not, at least imo.

9. jts1207

jts1207 Making Stingtalk Great Again

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets
    We need a RedZone channel for each conference and Top 25. Thanks

10. Ceiling Cat

Ceiling Cat Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    SLC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Serving beer would help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Skydog

Skydog Eat a Peach

Loc:
    Canton, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This. HDTV. I've missed two GT home games in 20 years but I also have my cave set up with 3 TVs. I love going to the GT games but home is a much better experience for everything else. Take F1 for example. I'd love to go to an F1 race someday. Bucket list kind of thing. But I'm pretty dang sure Sky Sports coverage, in HD, is far more entertaining.

12. RamblinWreck09

RamblinWreck09 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    GT
    Agreed, but the guy from the TV crew with the red hat standing out on the field sucks even more.

• Like Like x 3
  13. JJacket

JJacket 1st to pass for 2500 and rush for 1000

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I enjoy going to games with my dad and daughter, so we have 3 generations at every home game.

I was lucky enough to be at victories over UGAg, the goal line stand against Maryland, the Miracle on North Avenue against FSU, the Kick-Six against FSU. I was also lucky enough to be at FSU for our 2009 victory - which was a long day of nasty people, making that victory so sweet. Dwyer carrying Duke players. Reggie vs. Auburn. Even the Georgia Southern victory where we woke back up for a final drive

Heartbreaks: BS yellow flag, I hate Bobo. Up 20 against the mutts with a BS PI call in that one near half giving them momentum. Up on Miami in the 4th only to lose. VT handing us our ass 51-7. Wake Forest running 90+ plays in 2002 to death March us all game. And, of course, NC State 2005.

As for being at home, I can tailgate better there, especially with the new griddle. Made smash burgers last night. I may never use a traditional grill again.

14. GBurdell

GBurdell Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Rock Ridge
    Team:
    ga tech
    that never gets old! What a Time to be Alive!

• Like Like x 1
  15. 81BME

81BME Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    With F1 on TV, you have the advantage of seeing the entire course, but you lose the perception of speed, acceleration and sound. All three are pretty mind-boggling in person.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Yukonwreck

Yukonwreck Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tampa, Florida
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Will our living room vibrate when we run back a blocked field goal?

17. JJacket

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Not with the new engines, I suppose. Need to bring back V-12's, V-10's, or V-8's. Sounds like a bunch of Corollas nowadays

18. JJacket

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    No öööö. I hope the designers of the parking deck on Spring didn't design the upper north. Of course, I have watched a bunch of Bugs Bunny in my life. I know that when something is collapsing down, you just wait until the last second and step off of it.

19. BigGTMike

BigGTMike Flats Noob

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    GT
    It's not the in stadium experience. It's everything else: short planning time due to tv, parking, traffic, morons, loading stuff, unloading stuff...

20. Skydog

Skydog Eat a Peach

Loc:
    Canton, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Like I said I want to see an F1 race in person .. for sure.