Football Scoop: New RB coach

Giving gourmet ingredients to a fry cook doesn't mean you're going to get a 5 star meal.
Giving crap ingredients to a 3 star Michelin chef means you still aren't going to get a 3-star meal either.
Everyone loves to quote that old adage "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" but they ignore the flip side of that truth: "If talent does work hard, talent will usually win out over time."

Surely you're not advocating that we shouldn't be excited about having more talented players on the roster?

I didn't say this wasn't going to work or that it was a bad hire, I just said the odds of this randomness coming together is a long shot and if you're denying that fact...continue on with with your rub and tug.
You didn't SAY it but you damn well intimated that, at the very least, it wasn't going to work. And if I need a rub and tug, I'll go visit your mom.

Giving crap ingredients to a 3 star Michelin chef means you still aren't going to get a 3-star meal either.
Everyone loves to quote that old adage "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" but they ignore the flip side of that truth: "If talent does work hard, talent will usually win out over time."

Surely you're not advocating that we shouldn't be excited about having more talented players on the roster?
No, I’m excited about the talent level but I have no faith in this staff maximizing their potential

All I'm saying is, there is absolutely no reason not to fish for kids from Cincinnati and DC Catholic schools who might actually value high-end academics and being in a city, rather than simply being able to overlook it and scrape by like the country kids from the south do. Cincinnati, Michigan State, and Kentucky have built legitimate programs by feasting on all the high-3* and low-4* players that Ohio State doesn't want, and we could totally get some.

GT is at its best as a national recruiter, almost all of our big name players were from outside of Dixie.
Nomar: California
Varitek: Michigan
Teixeira: Maryland
Marbury/Anderson: NYC
Mark Price: Oklahoma
Shumpert: Chicago
Bosh: Texas

GT should overall recruit more like Duke or Notre Dame than Clemson.
We should definitely recruit high level private schools nationally. They have significant talent and the recruits are more likely to be interested in the long term advantages we can offer. The recruits are also going to be better prepared academically.
If we can recruit locally and recruit nationally, we have a chance to improve our talent level. The wildcard will be the long term effect of NIL's.

The wildcard will be the long term effect of NIL's.
Agree, NIL is key.
CGC recruiting and marketing 'juice' plan for GT/ATL was a good set up for great NIL opportunities for recruits... we just needed to win some damn football games.

You didn't SAY it but you damn well intimated that, at the very least, it wasn't going to work. And if I need a rub and tug, I'll go visit your mom.

Well I guess we'll revisit in 12 months to know for sure. Why go see my mom? Guess @JJacket isn't sufficient enough to complete the circle for you?

No, I’m excited about the talent level but I have no faith in this staff maximizing their potential
How about them getting the players to play near their talent level. If they maximized anything we’d stroke out from excitement.

Good sign, he seems to have caught on already. He’s looking at G*C* wondering “wtf is that MF doing”?

Agree, NIL is key.
CGC recruiting and marketing 'juice' plan for GT/ATL was a good set up for great NIL opportunities for recruits... we just needed to win some damn football games.

Yep, not much NIL juice for players on the Bally Sports network.

How about them getting the players to play near their talent level. If they maximized anything we’d stroke out from excitement.

Good sign, he seems to have caught on already. He’s looking at G*C* wondering “wtf is that MF doing”?

Yeah…that’s what he’s doing…..

A6F906E3-9DB1-4086-BD50-28211DD584D0.gif

We have just spent 768 posts patiently and optimistically evaluating a bunch of @CiraldoForever's thoughts. The undeniable result is proof that he is not competent at posting 'quality opinions". The time for giving him the benefit of the doubt on football opinions is over. The time for telling him to STFU is here.
I’m trying to take the more positive, optimistic approach, but damn. It’s hard for me to criticize anyone who hasn’t got there yet. Our coach has won 9 games in 3 years. I’d argue @CiraldoForever is actually the more reasoned one.

That being said, I think this is a good hire. I’m really hopeful we win 8-9 games next year, because we should win the Coastal.

I’m trying to take the more positive, optimistic approach, but damn. It’s hard for me to criticize anyone who hasn’t got there yet. Our coach has won 9 games in 3 years. I’d argue @CiraldoForever is actually the more reasoned one.

That being said, I think this is a good hire. I’m really hopeful we win 8-9 games next year, because we should win the Coastal.
Bah. It's easy to be the negative Nancy.

Don't get me wrong. Myself and everyone else on this board completely understands the frustration because we feel it as well as you and others do. But there is a time for bitching and then there's a time for just STFU'ing and letting the team and the coaches get on with trying to put together a winning formula for this upcoming year. It's not an apples-to-oranges comparison because Ross brought with him to GT a history of having won conference titles at Maryland, but these discussions feel incredibly similar to the discussions where a significant percentage of the fan base was calling for Bobby Ross to be fired at the beginning of the 1989 season. And even after showing some success at the end of the season to reel off some victories, there will still a (significantly less albeit) group of vocal GT fans who were saying what he was doing wouldn't work at GT because..."we're different". 1990 made all of them not only shut up but act like they'd never said what they said.

And no...before you or anyone else posts a response to this, I'm not saying Collins is necessarily the guy to take us to another natty. But I AM willing to be objective and evaluate the talent that was left on this team when Johnson resigned as the head coach of GT. And I realize that this might not be the "largest turnaround in the history of college football" or whatever rhetoric CGC uses but it was a damn significant task.

But there is also a reason why most of the football world was saying this was a 4 year turnaround process for this team. Regardless what happens with the eventual status of Geoff Collins, it's fairly inarguable that he and his staff have done a marvelous (and honestly almost miraculous this year) job of recruiting more and better talent onto the team here.

Also, I keep hearing reports that the parents, players and coaching staff all seem to have a degree of confidence that "we are very close". That gives me hope...because, although I didn't hear it at the time since we didn't have the internet back then...we later found out that the players and coaches of the 89 team thought we were a lot better than our record showed and people were giving us credit for being. Here's hoping there is a heck of a similarity next year with the 1990 team! :)

Last edited:
Bah. It's easy to be the negative Nancy.

Don't get me wrong. Myself and everyone else on this board completely understands the frustration because we feel it as well as you and others do. But there is a time for bitching and then there's a time for just STFU'ing and letting the team and the coaches get on with trying to put together a winning formula for this upcoming year. It's not an apples-to-oranges comparison because Ross brought with to GT a history of having won conference titles at Maryland, but these discussions feel incredibly similar to the discussions where a significant percentage of the fan base was calling for Bobby Ross to be fired at the beginning of the 1989 season. And even after showing some success at the end of the season to reel off some victories, there will still a (significantly less albeit) group of vocal GT fans who were saying what he was doing wouldn't work at GT because..."we're different". 1990 made all of them not only shut up but act like they'd never said what they said.

And no...before you or anyone else posts a response to this, I'm not saying Collins is necessarily the guy to take us to another natty. But I AM willing to be objective and evaluate the talent that was left on this team when Johnson resigned as the head coach of GT. And I realize that this might not be the "largest turnaround in the history of college football" or whatever rhetoric CGC uses but it was a damn significant task.

But there is also a reason why most of the football world was saying this was a 4 year turnaround process for this team. Regardless what happens with the eventual status of Geoff Collins, it's fairly inarguable that he and his staff have done a marvelous (and honestly almost miraculous this year) job of recruiting more and better talent onto the team here.

Also, I keep hearing reports that the parents, players and coaching staff all seem to have a degree of confidence that "we are very close". That gives me hope...because, although I didn't hear it at the time since we didn't have the internet back then...we later found out that the players and coaches of the 89 team thought we were a lot better than our record showed and people were giving us credit for being. Here's hoping there is a heck of a similarity next year with the 1990 team! :)
I agree with this. At least I think I do. I just also empathize with anyone who has lost all hope that GC can get the job done. @JJacket and now you have given some logical argument that we can get over the hump next year.

So I decided that, at least for me as a Tech fan whether we win or lose, I’d rather be optimistic and hopeful.

I agree with this. At least I think I do. I just also empathize with anyone who has lost all hope that GC can get the job done. @JJacket and now you have given some logical argument that we can get over the hump next year.

So I decided that, at least for me as a Tech fan whether we win or lose, I’d rather be optimistic and hopeful.
I get it and agree to some extent. I find it frustrating AF that we aren't winning. I have some friends who are posters on this and other sites and they are irate at the "branding" and get all up in arms about how we're "disrepecting our traditions", etc. And I'm talking people who are highly intelligent and for whom I have a high degree of respect. And when I've pointed out that the #404theCulture and #ATL stuff isn't really meant for anyone but the players and recruits, they usually respond with "that's not how we do it around here'.

To which I offer up the following story which I've used several times before in work environments to question why we do things a certain way:

*Quoted from link below...I don't include in quotes because that only shows the first few lines:

Have you ever heard of the 5 monkey’s experiment? It’s based on a research project by G.R. Stephenson performed in the 1960s. The story has been told many times and it goes something like this:

Researchers placed five monkeys in a room with a ladder and some bananas at the top of it. It didn’t take long before one of the monkeys saw the bananas and decided to climb the ladder.

As soon as the monkey reached the banana, all five monkeys were showered with cold water.

This frustrated the monkeys, but shortly after the showering ended a second monkey braved climbing the ladder once again.

Again, all five monkeys were showered with cold water. The monkeys were starting to see a pattern. So, the researchers decided to change the scenario. This time they would take out the water and replace one of the monkeys with a new one.

The new monkey comes into the room and notices the banana sitting safely on the ladder. He sees an easy snack and approaches the ladder.

As soon as he starts to climb the other four monkeys attack him. The new monkey doesn’t understand what he did wrong but no longer approaches the ladder.

The researchers continue the new pattern by replacing another monkey.
This new monkey sees the banana and does the same thing as the last monkey to enter the room. Upon climbing the ladder, the original three monkeys attack once again, as well as the first new monkey.

A third, fourth, and eventually fifth monkey is replaced. By now all the new monkeys are attacking each new monkey that tries to get the banana. They’ve never been sprayed for attempting to get the banana but choose to attack each monkey that tries anyways.

Still, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs, but no one really knows why. All the original monkeys who experienced being sprayed with water have been replaced. What is left is 5 monkeys who know that they can’t touch the banana but don’t really know why… because that’s the way its always been done around here.

Back