For those who think a new coach is the answer...

Very thoughtful response with a great memory — I couldn’t remember the nuances just that we needed to win and several other things had to play out for us to maybe be considered.

My buddy and I went to the acccg that year and we didn’t even mention the cfp. It wasn’t on our radar. That was a fun weekend nonetheless.
I dont have much of a memory of that weekend in Charlotte, but I distinctly remember that CFP considerations were not on our radar. I was expecting us to get beat pretty bad, so we had a great time just keeping the game close, and were able to party after because it felt like a win.

Do you really think we can put a worse product on the field? I certainly have my reservations about who we’ll bring in next, but PJ will not be here next year. It’s time man. No reason to defend, just accept what’s about to happen.
PJ will be here next year!

If cpj is here next year, I think the D will improve. Who knows about the qb? It will be a crapshoot. I am convinced the TM and VL will be the only cpj starting qb’s to never play an acccg. I don’t expect 2019 to be a lights out campaign either. We will have new abacks, and 2015 showed us that will be rough.

The only thing redeeming about this year is cpj is finally calling out the ol since 2010. They have played some seriously ööööty ball. It was bad enough to avoid the clemson DL last year, but blocking the wrong guys all game long against duke is a joke. Sewak never fails to disappoint.

Losing to USF is not that bad. They are ranked 21 or 18, and ahead of Mississippi State.

And we did beat the eventual Natty last year, UCF who is now #10. There is something to be said for that.

If cpj is here next year, I think the D will improve. Who knows about the qb? It will be a crapshoot. I am convinced the TM and VL will be the only cpj starting qb’s to never play an acccg. I don’t expect 2019 to be a lights out campaign either. We will have new abacks, and 2015 showed us that will be rough.

The only thing redeeming about this year is cpj is finally calling out the ol since 2010. They have played some seriously ööööty ball. It was bad enough to avoid the clemson DL last year, but blocking the wrong guys all game long against duke is a joke. Sewak never fails to disappoint.
I'm not so sure about the A-backs being a problem for us next year. Cottrell will be back, Omahri Jarrett has some experience and has looked good when he was in, and I bet they move Mason to A-back next year. No way they can leave Benson, Mason, and Howard all at the same position, and I'm pretty sure Mason cross trained as an AB last year. And that doesn't even include some of the young guys we haven't seen yet.

Agree about the OL play and coaching or lack of same. At the least, if our AD keeps CPJ I want to see him be forced to get rid of Sewak and maybe some others but that guy is the one constant that I feel affects our generally shi**y OL play. At least it’s consistent but not in a good way.

So you agree with me now, eh?
On this issue, pretty much always have.

Go back and look our W/L record and recruiting since BL and it's pretty much consistent. If things are to improve, something needs to change besides the coach.

Could it be we have talent issues on the OL much like other positions? They look great playing teams that haven't faced us before or are simply inferior. Not many blown assignments, not many miscommunications, etc. Could it be that good OL talent doesn't want to run block 90%? Our scheme does have them diving and crawling at ankles a significant portion of the time. I don't remember the constant weekly issues when great talent like Shaq Mason were being coached. I'm certainly not defending Sewak, but I believe recruiting as effected all position groups.

I'm not so sure about the A-backs being a problem for us next year. Cottrell will be back, Omahri Jarrett has some experience and has looked good when he was in, and I bet they move Mason to A-back next year. No way they can leave Benson, Mason, and Howard all at the same position, and I'm pretty sure Mason cross trained as an AB last year. And that doesn't even include some of the young guys we haven't seen yet.
I agree on the A-backs, we have Cottrell, and the guys behind him won't be true/RS freshmen thrown into the fire. Also, on the QBs, it's important to remember that this is only TM's 3rd year in the system as a QB. I've been wondering for a while if he didn't suffer by practicing at ABack for a year before moving to QB. Next year, we will have someone who has been practicing at QB for his whole time and Tech. LJ will be in his 4th year at QB, TO will be in his 3rd year at QB, and JG will be in his 2nd.

It's only his 3rd year? lol

We talking about college football correct? If it takes 5th year senior experience to feel confident at QB, we're in trouble. Some will make up any excuses to justify bad play. Maybe just maybe it's QB talent and not experience.

Could it be we have talent issues on the OL much like other positions?
I think we have depth issues on the OL. Which boils done to talent issues I guess.
Could it be that good OL talent doesn't want to run block 90%?
Maybe, but it's more likely good OL talent doesn't want to study calculus or wants to major in recreational studies.
Our scheme does have them diving and crawling at ankles a significant portion of the time.
Well, this is simply not true.

I think we have depth issues on the OL. Which boils done to talent issues I guess.

Maybe, but it's more likely good OL talent doesn't want to study calculus or wants to major in recreational studies.

Well, this is simply not true.

We cut a significant amount at the LOS. When we do we often look like we're diving and crawling at ankles. Can you provide another offensive scheme that has their OL cutting at the LOS as much as our option based 90% run oriented team does? When is the last time you watched a football game and the announcers literally highlighted offensive linemen crawling? I can't recall the game, maybe South Florida, but it happened this year. Wish I had the clip...

I never played OL, so I can't personally speak for it but I do wonder if that's attractive to OL prospects. You can get plenty help with school, but PJ isn't going to change what he does.

Could it be we have talent issues on the OL much like other positions? They look great playing teams that haven't faced us before or are simply inferior. Not many blown assignments, not many miscommunications, etc. Could it be that good OL talent doesn't want to run block 90%? Our scheme does have them diving and crawling at ankles a significant portion of the time. I don't remember the constant weekly issues when great talent like Shaq Mason were being coached. I'm certainly not defending Sewak, but I believe recruiting as effected all position groups.

OL recruiting is supposed to be a feature of this offense. Everyone wants the big guys with fast feet. Nobody but us really want shorter guys who are explosive. I don’t think our linemen have looked incapable of blocking (except last year when we played a true freshman against one of Clemson’s beasts).

Our line just looks confused half the time. The worst part after the game, cpj talks about how we practiced against what we saw in the game. That is bad coaching. And we all know it’s name.

OL recruiting is supposed to be a feature of this offense. Everyone wants the big guys with fast feet. Nobody but us really want shorter guys who are explosive. I don’t think our linemen have looked incapable of blocking (except last year when we played a true freshman against one of Clemson’s beasts).

Our line just looks confused half the time. The worst part after the game, cpj talks about how we practiced against what we saw in the game. That is bad coaching. And we all know it’s name.

That was my biggest gripe. We look poorly coached and unprepared.

Agree with all of that. Also, OLs like run blocking, so it shouldn't be that difficult for us to to find good players.

And it kills me to hear Johnson say that. It tells me that we're not getting outcoached with X's and O's, we're getting outcoached in how we teach our players. It looks we may be making some actual progress on defense, and it took a coaching change. If we don't do the same on offense, CPJ is gonna have to fall on the sword.

Back