General Coaching Search News Thread

Well being a sourpuss will not make you friends especially when the past three years have been rough.

It's easy to blame that on recruiting, which is probably fair, but we signed guys like Jay Jones, Lucas Johnson, Christian Campbell, Jaylend Ratliffe - all relatively highly touted prospects for us that should have been experienced enough to play in 2017 and 2018. How the hell were NONE of them able to contribute a single meaningful minute? I know the individual reasons for each, but why does it always seem like that öööö like that happened to us pretty consistently over the last 10 years?
Jay Jones - wasn't going to be as good as Lucas. Recognized it and got out
Lucas Johnson - probably would have taken starting job this season if it hadn't been for a freak injury
Christian Campbell - We need him as Safety. I hope he can make the NFL at that position. He has the size. He could be a good one
Jaylend Ratliffe - 4 wheelers are dangerous. I have known 2 people personally who got killed on 4 wheelers and my sister's stepdaughter got hurt badly on a 3 wheeler as a teen. 3 wheelers are off the market, but 4 wheelers are just barely more safe. Luckily, Ratliffe escaped with his life. Pretty much out of our control what happened to him.

So the question is....was CPJ a legend relative to GT?

30% success rate vs arch-rival, 1-2 in ACC C-G, no nattys, couple of losing seasons, bowl streak ended while he was HC, last 2 mutt games were blowout losses, never beat the mutts in BDS, lost last 4 of 5 vs Duke.

Nope. Not legendary.

30% success rate vs arch-rival, 1-2 in ACC C-G, no nattys, couple of losing seasons, bowl streak ended while he was HC, last 2 mutt games were blowouts, never beat the mutts in BDS.

Nope. Not legendary.
I never though of him as legendary. We had some good plays to beat UGAg. I still think we would have beaten them in 2008 if CCG had stayed. CCG seemed to get the worst bounces against UGAg. That, and the David Greene teams were some of the best teams UGAg had ever fielded - including the past two. Those UGAg teams were stacked. 2008-2009 we should have absolutely won going away with either coach, IMO.

Well being a sourpuss will not make you friends especially when the past three years have been rough.
And the thing is, it would have helped CPJ enjoy these past four years more too. Friends are friendly.

I would be a horrible front-of-house man. I just don’t like the public enough. That’s an important aspect of coaching these days.

I never though of him as legendary. We had some good plays to beat UGAg. I still think we would have beaten them in 2008 if CCG had stayed. CCG seemed to get the worst bounces against UGAg. That, and the David Greene teams were some of the best teams UGAg had ever fielded - including the past two. Those UGAg teams were stacked. 2008-2009 we should have absolutely won going away with either coach, IMO.

Sad thing is, CPJ could've had established Legendary Mutt Killer status if you think about it:
2008 - W
2009 - Should've been a W.
2010 - Could've been a W.
2013 - @#$@$#$ W
2014 - W
2015 - Should've been a W
2016 - W

With literally a few things differently here, CPJ could've had a 7-4 record vs those öööööööööööös. In which case, we could've built a bronze statue of him with a plaque on it: "Paul Johnson: DWAG Killer".

Paul Johnson certainly qualifies for legend status at Georgia Southern and I would argue Navy too for bringing them back to relevance. For us, he was a very good and long tenured coach.

There are a lot of what ifs. Sure, what if he were a better salesman and recruiter? What if he didn't have blindspots when it came to defense and ST? And yes, what if he got more support from the department?

Sad thing is, CPJ could've had established Legendary Mutt Killer status if you think about it:
2008 - W
2013 - @#$@$#$ W
2014 - W
2016 - W

With literally a few things differently here, CPJ could've had a 7-4 record vs those öööööööööööös. In which case, we could've built a bronze statue of him with a plaque on it: "Paul Johnson: DWAG Killer".

Yea his first 9 years were about as bad as we can ever expect UGA to be for an extended period. 09 and 10 especially. The world
May look a lot different if he wins those 2 games

I will always be grateful for the fact that he beat UGA 3 times. However, all three of those games could have easily gone the other way.

Johnson could have been the pinnacle. He had a ho-hum view of recruiting that was based in his outlook that scheme controlled all and he could plug whoever he got and beat people with his playcalling. Also in line with recruiting, his dour demeanor did not sell things. For example, when the locker room was complete, I heard him say in an interview that it was more or less like what everyone else has. It would have been too easy to just say something like it’s awesome, our donors knocked it out of the park, etc.
He had less staff than Ga State. Hard to blame him for recruiting

2008 - W
2013 - @#$@$#$ W
2014 - W
2016 - W

I feel the same way after 1990. We had the opportunity to right the ship against UGAg in 1990 and onward. They were mediocre. We answered their mediocracy with becoming horrible with Bill Lewis. Dammit, had we put GOL in charge when Ross left, spent some money on facilities sooner, things would have been so different. Instead, we do the most GT thing ever and öööö it up

I will always be grateful for the fact that he beat UGA 3 times. However, all three of those games could have easily gone the other way.
Same with several of Chan's games against arguably the best UGAg teams in years

Your freaking crazy, Gailey wouldn’t beat ugay even if he had a team of NFL all-stars

You understand, based on the eye test, Tech should have not won those three games. But that is why we play the game, right?

Your freaking crazy, Gailey wouldn’t beat ugay even if he had a team of NFL all-stars
We were a few bounces away from beating them a few times. Just as we were a few bounces from losing to them during the games we won under CPJ. We haven't had a clear dominant victory over UGAg since 2000. Before that, you have to go back to 1990 for a win that wasn't a squeaker.

You guys are crazy if you think that 2008 UGA team wasn't won of the better UGA teams that GT has ever beaten. Preseason nbr 1 and only lost to undefeated Alabama and National Champion Florida. The team also had the nbr 1 overall draft pick in Stafford, seriously wtf. I agree about 2009 and 2010, easily coulda/shoulda won those games but 2008 and was an epic win for GT in the series.

You guys are crazy if you think that 2008 UGA team wasn't won of the better UGA teams that GT has ever beaten. Preseason nbr 1 and only lost to undefeated Alabama and National Champion Florida. The team also had the nbr 1 overall draft pick in Stafford, seriously wtf. I agree about 2009 and 2010, easily coulda/shoulda won those games but 2008 and was an epic win for GT in the series.
God yes. Look at that 2008 Georgia team. Stafford, Knowshon, Justin Houston, Geno Atkins, Massaqoui, AJ Green, their O-Line. We had no business winning that game. And we had no business winning it in 2009 either... And if Bebe catches that pass...

I swear I thought he had it too.

Back