General Coaching Search News Thread

If true, attendance next year will suuuuuuuuuck. The fan base is united against this hire it seems.

So far the rumors about KW have been true... he was instantly pegged as our top target, and is the only coach with whom we’ve had confirmed contact. No reason to believe otherwise at this point.
Would also fit what others have been saying that this was a done deal after Clemson game. Interview was a formality. If so, I’m surprised that we didn’t interview a minority for appearances.
Todd is a racist

Would also fit what others have been saying that this was a done deal after Clemson game. Interview was a formality. If so, I’m surprised that we didn’t interview a minority for appearances.
Todd is a racist

TS keeps talking about the need to get an innovator for GT. Only thing I see tied to Whiz being an innovator is this Wikipedia note:

Whisenhunt took over the role of offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh for the 2004 season after Mike Mularkey became the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Although his predecessor Mularkey was known for creating flashy trick plays, Whisenhunt showed great success as more of a cautious innovator, whose well-timed trick plays contrasted the conservative Steelers run game.

One of Whisenhunt's most famous moments as a Steeler is the trick play he called in Super Bowl XL. With Pittsburgh leading 14-10 over the Seattle Seahawks, Whisenhunt called a wide receiver reverse pass (Antwaan Randle El to Hines Ward, the only TD pass thrown by a WR in Super Bowl history) that allowed Pittsburgh to extend the lead over the Seahawks

So that's it? 2004, he called 1 reverse pass? That's going to be our great innovator?

I got to know Monken when he was slotbacks coach at Southern and later when he was head coach.
Dude is aces. I hope TStan just gives him an interview out of courtesy, because Monken will blow the doors off the interview.
The bigger question is ... has anyone sought out Jack Reale in all this?

We are at a point where we need to hire , not only an innovator, but a dynamic hire.

KW isn't that. This hire would be like hiring the borefest of carson / Fulcher/ curry / Lewis/ gailey and merging their DNA into one coach that is not to old, but to old for who we need now.

We need someone younger that is a proven recruiter, that will make kids WANT to play for him. Trying to sell the value of a degree is not near enough.

Whiz, or either of CPJ former assistant coaches ( due to perception of the O by better recruits) is a disaster of epic proportions waiting to happen. In w/l, ticket sales, donations.

Heaven forbid we hire someone so good they are gone in 4/5 years! That only means they were successful here - but who wants that.

I have a more optimistic outlook on a potential KW hire than the majority of this board, but even so, IF we hire a "Tech man" without even interviewing other coaches then Stansbury is in way over his head.
All this that KW is his only man is nuts . Others will be interviewed. I realize we're getting limited info, which I'm good with a coaching search . Maybe I've missed it talked about but KW makes around 5.5 million a year . He gets more time off as NFL coach than being a college HC. He'd have to really want the job for personal reasons . Maybe he does . I don't think we can pay him. Might be wrong if right support is there . I like Ken, but being a Tech Man isn't the only criteria . Others will get interviewed .

680 the Fan (our “flagship”) reported around 6:05 that Ken Dubs has been offered the job and has 48 hours to respond. Reported live on air.

Was a very unofficial, “friend of a friend” text to the radio host. But...

:shtstir:
FWIW rumor I heard was that big money alums will ante up serious money to address our other issues, staff, facilities, etc but requires that we hire KW. No idea if there’s anything to it. But might be worth it.

Back