Geoff Collins is a Joke

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
I think he may have picked up his rating pretty late. Listed as a 2 star on rivals. Unkown is maybe too strong but he was an under the radar, diamond in the rough type is what I am saying. High upside.
Sometimes these type of players need a year or two to develop, get stronger, learn the game, etc.

doyojob

Varsity Lurker
These 'number of posts' people crack me up as well. When, if you were to do an in-depth look at their thousands of posts, a good third or more was simply, "your mom" type replies. But somehow that makes them soooooo much smarter than someone with a lot less.
[/QUOTE]

I'm referring to the idiots who joined to simply rip CGC
[/QUOTE]
You are making a lot of assumptions about people you don't know.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
I mean I already said every coach deserves 3 years to install. We should be able to see the vision by year 3. So far we’ve only seen the vision off-the-field. We’re gonna have a Top 30 roster next year. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect on-field results when there will be only 4 teams on your schedule with more talent (Clemson, uga, Miami, uNC) and 5 teams with significantly worse talent (Duke, BC, UVA, KSU, NIU).
Our problem is on the DL and OL. Our OL is actually doing an okay job protecting the QB and we show signs of moving the ball. They are improving but to say we have TOP 5 talent in the ACC is unfair. OL and DL take four years to develop fully, maybe five for us.

We've already seen an OT come in and be a fixture on the OL. But that is a rarity. But if we can get two more next year and two more the following year....in four or five years we will be very good. The same goes for DL. We are GT.. We have to grow them up cause we are not getting the four and five start DT. That takes time.

Our present need is to focus on developing OL skills with the players we have right now and that is clearly happening. Our present need is to grow up DL and that is happening but you will not see results for two more years. We got screwed by injuries this year on the DL.

Otherwise, we need some LBers and TE to grow up and arrive. And in the immediate, we need to learn to cut down on turnovers and penalties.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Our problem is on the DL and OL. Our OL is actually doing an okay job protecting the QB and we show signs of moving the ball. They are improving but to say we have TOP 5 talent in the ACC is unfair. OL and DL take four years to develop fully, maybe five for us.

We've already seen an OT come in and be a fixture on the OL. But that is a rarity. But if we can get two more next year and two more the following year....in four or five years we will be very good. The same goes for DL. We are GT.. We have to grow them up cause we are not getting the four and five start DT. That takes time.

Our present need is to focus on developing OL skills with the players we have right now and that is clearly happening. Our present need is to grow up DL and that is happening but you will not see results for two more years. We got screwed by injuries this year on the DL.

Otherwise, we need some LBers and TE to grow up and arrive. And in the immediate, we need to learn to cut down on turnovers and penalties.
Saying we’ll be #5 talent in the ACC isn’t an objective assessment on my part that can be judged fair or not. It is a fact based on compilation of recruiting rankings. If we have deficiencies at certain positions then it’s CGCs job to hit the transfer market.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Bear Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n - Bum Phillips.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Absolutely true 60 years ago.
Well, Bryant's been dead for nearly 33 years, so . . . :)

Meanwhile, I seem to recall that there was this fella, back in 2008 took over a team and - with the previous fella's players - had a better record in each of his first two years than the previous fella had in any of his six years . . . I've been led to believe that isn't possible . . . every new fella needs to get 3 or 4 years or more of his own players before he can be expected to win anything . . . Then again, I would love to hear someone try to tell me that they honestly believe that this Tech team with these players wouldn't be any better if it was coached by Nick Saban.

Course I also recall this other fella . . . took over a team in 2017 that had won ten games each of the previous two seasons . . . and promptly won 7 and then 8 with the previous fella's players . . . the previous fella now being a head coach in the NFL.

But yeah. Actual coaching was a pretty decisive factor 60 years ago.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy

Meanwhile, I seem to recall that there was this fella, back in 2008 took over a team and - with the previous fella's players - had a better record in each of his first two years than the previous fella had in any of his six years . . . I've been led to believe that isn't possible . . . every new fella needs to get 3 or 4 years or more of his own players before he can be expected to win anything . . . Then again, I would love to hear someone try to tell me that they honestly believe that this Tech team with these players wouldn't be any better if it was coached by Nick Saban.

Course I also recall this other fella . . . took over a team in 2017 that had won ten games each of the previous two seasons . . . and promptly won 7 and then 8 with the previous fella's players . . . the previous fella now being a head coach in the NFL.

Yeah man, the situations are exactly the same? :lol2:

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader

Are you calling for CGC's firing? If not, why post stuff like this over and over and over?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like

I recall that fella from 2008 also taking us to a 3-9 season and a 5-6 season at the end of his tenure. So by your own logic, he sucked as a coach. Nice try.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I recall that fella from 2008 also taking us to a 3-9 season and a 5-6 season at the end of his tenure. So by your own logic, he sucked as a coach. Nice try.
Well, I’ve only been a Tech fan since 1992. So, the Ross years aren’t there for me.

I will take CPJ 2008-2010 or 2014-2016 over any three year run for Gailey (probably 2005-2007 were his best). But GOL run from 1998-2000 was the best.

I do think the Bobinski years sucked the life out of Johnson. He is still a great coach, but he seemed to be sick of the job. I wish he would go to Vanderbilt. Then I could casually watch.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Are you calling for CGC's firing? If not, why post stuff like this over and over and over?
I don't post stuff like that "over and over." Chill out - I've never called for CGC's firing. Even if it was financially feaible (and it isn't) I wouldn't call for it at this point. If you looked through my posts you'd see I've said that before, and been critical of those who have been calling for that.

I'm just a bit tired of folks like you telling us that we can't start to evaulate CGC as a coach yet, and that we need to wait until 2022 or 2023 when he has all his own recruits before we're allowed to do that.

ACTUAL coaching matters. Not just recruiting. Coaching. It not only made a huge difference "60 years ago" - it makes a huge difference today. If you're seeing the product of some good coaching out there, you're seeing something I'm not seeing. It doesn't take 5 star recruits to avoid 10 penalties a game (many/most of them foolish). It doesn't take 5 star recruits to avoid many of the turnovers I'm seeing out there. I see a lack of preparation, a lack of organization, and a lack of execution.

On the plus side, I do think he generates enthusiasm . . . how long that will last without results to match, I do not know.

I've said this before, too . . . I'm always going to root for Tech, so I'm rooting for CGC to succeed. I'll always root for him to succeed as long as he is Tech's coach. I believe he can succeed at Tech. But IMO the early returns are not promising, so I'm hoping he is able to flip a switch at some point.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
I think he burned out. A lot of great coaches hit the wall. Tom Landry sure did. Don Shula, too. Steve Spurrier did, and he walked away mid season. Seems to me Bobby Bowden and Bob Stoops hit the wall, too.

Does that mean all these guys "sucked as a coach?" Your "logic" is . . . feeble. People change. Especially as they age. I can barely run around the block now (mostly just jog), but that doesn't mean I didn't used to run a sub 4:30 mile.

At the end, by 2018, yes, IMO Johnson did suck as a coach. And I was glad to see him step down.

But that has not one D@MN thing to do with my point - that actual coaching (not just recruiting) matters a whole lot.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
I think he burned out. A lot of great coaches hit the wall. Tom Landry sure did. Don Shula, too. Steve Spurrier did, and he walked away mid season. Seems to me Bobby Bowden and Bob Stoops hit the wall, too.

Does that mean all these guys "sucked as a coach?" Your "logic" is . . . feeble. People change. Especially as they age. I can barely run around the block now (mostly just jog), but that doesn't mean I didn't used to run a sub 4:30 mile.

At the end, by 2018, yes, IMO Johnson did suck as a coach. And I was glad to see him step down.

But that has not one D@MN thing to do with my point - that actual coaching (not just recruiting) matters a whole lot.
Your point was that because CPJ took the previous coach’s recruits and put together a successful team, all coaches should be able to do that, and that is an absolutely ridiculous claim. CPJ took over a roster with NFL-level talent at the skill positions. To compare that roster with what CGC took over is idiotic at best. Sure coaching is a very important aspect of college football, but recruiting is not just as important but that much more important. CPJ didn’t just burn out. He stopped recruiting, and THAT is why the product on the field became what it did. Even he couldn’t coach that roster to wins.

Also, guess who recruited a portion of the roster that CPJ took over...

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Your point was that because CPJ took the previous coach’s recruits and put together a successful team, all coaches should be able to do that, and that is an absolutely ridiculous claim. CPJ took over a roster with NFL-level talent at the skill positions. To compare that roster with what CGC took over is idiotic at best. Sure coaching is a very important aspect of college football, but recruiting is not just as important but that much more important. CPJ didn’t just burn out. He stopped recruiting, and THAT is why the product on the field became what it did. Even he couldn’t coach that roster to wins.

Also, guess who recruited a portion of the roster that CPJ took over...
That was not my point. At all. Color me unsurprised that you couldn't understand. But ask yourself this and MAYBE you'll get the point: why did Chan Gailey produce so much WORSE results on the field year after year than CPJ did when CPJ took over Chan Gailey's "roster with NFL-level talent at the skill positions?" And that, despite CPJ running a totally different offensive scheme than the one that those players were recruited into? Comprende yet?

I did not compare rosters either, but figuring out that I did not do that requires no thought - just basic reading comprehension. I did not even MENTION the roster that CGC inherited at Tech - I just referenced what he did at Temple with what he inherited there . . . and it was not great.

Finally . . . "stopped recruiting" is part of "burned out."

Honestly . . .

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
[/QUOTE]
You are making a lot of assumptions about people you don't know.
[/QUOTE]
Not really. You just showed up on a message board that has been around for two decades.

So maybe you can earn some credibility by contributing some original information or insight or you can shut the öööö up until you have earned some stripes. Don’t just come strutting in here like Borat and demand a seat at the table. Who the hell do you think you are?

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Meanwhile, I seem to recall that there was this fella, back in 2008 took over a team and - with the previous fella's players - had a better record in each of his first two years than the previous fella had in any of his six years . . .
So... Paul Johnson could take your’n and beat his’n but couldn’t take his’n and beat your’n. Especially if your’n played for MTSU.