"Give it three years"

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
At a recent celebrity golf tournament to raise money for a non-profit, a friend of mine asked Paul Johnson about his opportunity at GT. He said he needed to find a QB who could run his offense and sounded luke warm on the offensive talent he had at GT. "Give it three years", Paul Johnson said. He said Paul Johnson sounded confident that he could make our program a power.

Do you think our fans can tolerate three years? After Gailey was fired there was a lot of Fans of Chan who will not tolerate anything less than instant improvement. Will we be divided as a fan base again?

1) We don't have the money to have a quick trigger, unless things get Bill Lewis bad.
2) CPJ will get cut some slack the first year IF he shows improvement throughout the year. That is something Gailey never showed. Our team got noticeably worse throughout the year. I don't think we would have made the ACC CG if we faced VT late instead of early.

This year is expected to be a struggle. I can live with that. However, I fully expect us to give 110% in every game and continue to get better over time. That in itself would be a 180 from the old regime. Remember it took Ross and O'Leary 2-3 years to really get things clicking.

like the other guys said, Tech fans tend to be a relatively patient bunch as long as you give us something to feed off of. If our guys are busting their butts on the field and in the games, taking responsibility for their own screw ups and not point fingers, improving each week, etc, then I have no doubt most Tech fans will be satisfied.

Having said that, given the pitiful state of the ACC, I don't see a reason why would should ever slip below .500 in conference play, outside of maybe this year due to growing pains.

Having said that, given the pitiful state of the ACC, I don't see a reason why would should ever slip below .500 in conference play, outside of maybe this year due to growing pains.

I would be disappointed with a sub-.500 ACC record. Our conference schedule seems front loaded this year with BC and VT. I'm not to sure what to think of BC's defensive coordinator. He has seen the scheme before, but considering the talent disparity, he didn't do to well against it.

I expect the kinks to be worked out of the offense by FSU and Miami.

Uh, how about I give him three games to have us in the top 15 or FUPJ.org is going live.

Will we be divided as a fan base again?
Yes.

Along exactly the same lines as before.

The reason why doesn't have to do with our program, it has to do with a certain bunch of douchebags who enjoy being divisive.

The "Fire Chan Gailey" crowd was fully formed after Gailey's second loss.

Last edited:
BOR, you have asked a great question. The truth is, I think every coach should be given about 5-6 years before you judge them. It will be then that you see what kind of program you have with their own recruits who have been in the program for five years.(I believe in this so strongly I did not even think Bill Lewis should have been fired.)

Unfortunately, few fan bases give coaches that kind of time. And, coaches are paid huge sums of money at the time of their signing, so they are at least well compensated even if a school does not give them sufficient time to win.

I will not call for Coach Johnson's firing unless he has coached for five seasons and it is clear he is not successful. But, few others among us will wait that long.

As I looked at Gailey's 5th and 6th seasons I was satisfied enough that I would have kept him. But, I was in a minority. My only hope is that if we fall into losing seasons at the onset of this transition and then in seasons three and four we get back to a winning sseason and a minor bowl we won't hear the typical rhetoric of how low the program was when we got here and how we have successfully turned things around. In making this change we sent a clear message that winning records, minor bowls, one division title, and no wins over UGA was unacceptable over a six year period. To judge the change to Coach Johnson a success, there should be an ACC title and a couple of wins over the Dawgs by year 5 or 6.

As long as he beats UGA, I don't think it will matter. 7-5 with a minor bowl blowout is alot worse then 7-5 with minor bowl blowout when one of those 7 wins is against Georgia.

Seems like this is the exact same conversation as usual. However, it would be interesting what the context of the question was or the look/mannerisms CPJ used. Maybe he meant give it three years till I have you all eating out of my hand when I bust out back to back ACC championships. I'm totally on the CPJ fan train...not b/c of his "gimmicky" offense or high point totals but because his style represents well what the school does....hard work. Theres more hard workers at tech than there are "smart" people and thats what I hope our football team reflects. I'd rather have a team full of heart like Kelly Rhino.

3yrs is about right. You know what direction you are headed in terms of coachs tactical ability and recruiting

CPJ is a good football coach, period. I don't care about the offense or what. I think he's just a heck of a coach. You see 90 out of the 117 teams out there running traditional offenses. Very few of them are good teams. Well, it obviously has NOTHING to do with the style of offense, it has more to do with the coaches that run the program.

Now, CPJ does run a unique offense, and if other coaches tried to run it, they probably wouldn't do near as well because CPJ knows it so well.

We all saw Bill O'Brien try to run Freidgen's offense, and fail. Why? Because he's not as good a coach as Freidgen. Same with CPJ. CPJ knows his offense, knows football, and knows how to motivate.

I'm prepared to give CPJ a few years if needed, but I think we'll do fine early on. not like 10 wins fine, but bowl streak alive. then I do think we'll become a VERY good football team.

Even though I was a Gailey fan, I'm a bigger CPJ fan.

A better team at the end of the year than at the begining and bowl streak alive would keep my pretty happy for the next 3 years.
If we lose the bowl streak its not a huge deal, but I would hope we have some big wins if thats the case.

As long as he beats UGA, I don't think it will matter. 7-5 with a minor bowl blowout is alot worse then 7-5 with minor bowl blowout when one of those 7 wins is against Georgia.

I get the sense that some (not you) of our alums would be happy with 1-11 as long as the one is UGA.

We all saw Bill O'Brien try to run Freidgen's offense, and fail.
That was the Bill O'Brian offense, not the Freidgen offense, and there was a small bit of Chan Gailey mixed in for Chan's first year.

The funniest thing about that offense - our best game Chan's first year was vs Virginia, and RUMOR was neither Bill nor Chan called the plays that game - Suggs did from the huddle, and he called plays that he and the players liked and felt they ran well.

I get the sense that some (not you) of our alums would be happy with 1-11 as long as the one is UGA.

I don't want to be that extreme, but in general we're all pretty happy when we win the state. Makes a so so season a good season and a good season a great season.

Reality is that 1-11 probably would never happen because if we're good enough to beat the mutts then chances are we're good enough to beat half or more of the other teams on our schedule.

I have to say though us at 1-11 and them at 11-1 would make me chuckle for quite some time.

The truth is, I think every coach should be given about 5-6 years before you judge them. It will be then that you see what kind of program you have with their own recruits who have been in the program for five years.(I believe in this so strongly I did not even think Bill Lewis should have been fired.)

When you lose the team like Lewis did, you don't deserve anymore time whatsoever. No one liked or respected Lewis at all. When he threw the kids under the bus at FSU in 1992 it was the beginning of the end for Lewis.

I think every coach deserves 5 years minimum (except Bill Lewis). It takes 5 years for a coach to field a team entirely of players that he recruited for his system.

I don't see why not. If we see a team that plays hard all the way thru, doesn't lay down and quit, a team that can learn how to line up on the ball without being penalized so much, and a team that shows some sort of consistent improvement, then CPJ can have all the time he needs as far as I'm concerned.
I was a definite fan of CCG, but I'll be the first to note a lack of improvement over the season. I had confidence is CCG and wished the best for him. It just never came around during his stint here tho. Some his fault, some the "hill" but nevertheless, not a big improvement.

Knowing what I know about PJ, and knowing what I know about our fans(especially on this board)...what he said and what we heard are 2 different things.

What he said: Give it 3 years (until we're competing for championships)

What we heard: Give it 3 years (until we are better than Gailey's teams)

Just a thought....

Back