"Give it three years"

I will be worried if we have losing seasons for two years in 2008 and 2009.

A 5 - 7 record or worse would be disappointing in 2008, but that is no reason to give up.

PJ will have some time to get things installed and operating.

I will be very happy if we remain about the same as we were under Gailey or a game worse (at 7 - 5 or 6 - 6) for the next two years. Then I hope we kick it up a notch to 9 or more wins beginning in the third year.

If we stay about where we were under Gailey during the transition period of one to two years followed by an upswing, then the change will have been a tremendous success.

If we stay about where we were under Gailey during the transition period of one to two years followed by an upswing, then the change will have been a tremendous success.

Given the comments by AT Barnes, I'd argue that the change already appears to be a tremendous success.

I get the sense that some (not you) of our alums would be happy with 1-11 as long as the one is UGA.
I'm going to be perfectly and completely honest. That would not bother me in the slightest. Granted, I'd like more wins, but I would never call a 1-11 year, with that one being UGA, a failure. In fact, it may be great for comedic effect alone.

Webbed-Toe Dawg: Durr, you nerds suck so badly that you couldn't beat no one this year but one team. Go Dawgs!
Enlightened and handsome Tech fan: Yes, and what does that say about the quality of the one team we did beat?
Webbed-Toe Dawg: ...I harbor sadness in my heart because sister caught me lovin' the family sheep and she said I need to stay failthful in my marriage to her.

That was the Bill O'Brian offense, not the Freidgen offense, and there was a small bit of Chan Gailey mixed in for Chan's first year.

The funniest thing about that offense - our best game Chan's first year was vs Virginia, and RUMOR was neither Bill nor Chan called the plays that game - Suggs did from the huddle, and he called plays that he and the players liked and felt they ran well.

I hope you don't really believe that Suggs called all the plays.

Call it what you want. Is Navy's 2008 offense the Paul Johnson offense? I'd say it is, even tho they have another guy running it. And, I bet it won't be as good a few years down the road.

I believe firing Gailey was a big time mistake. That does not mean I will not support Georgia Tech football. I have been a fan for a very long time. If we still had Gailey we would be talking 7-10 wins imo. With a new regime and with a dramatic new offense and a new defensive coach, I am worried plenty about this year. I believe PJ will be a good coach for us, but wonder how long it will take to get back where we already were under CHan, much less improve.

I believe firing Gailey was a big time mistake. That does not mean I will not support Georgia Tech football. I have been a fan for a very long time. If we still had Gailey we would be talking 7-10 wins imo. With a new regime and with a dramatic new offense and a new defensive coach, I am worried plenty about this year. I believe PJ will be a good coach for us, but wonder how long it will take to get back where we already were under CHan, much less improve.

Funny that you mentioned this.I am an accounting student, and I'm taking several classes on quantitative analysis. Because of this, I have taken several classes on forecasting and budgeting (merely financial forecasting).

NOTHING about Gailey could be put into ANY forecasting model to show that he would win 10 games,

Wouldn't have happened.

NOTHING about Gailey could be put into ANY forecasting model to show that he would win 10 games,.

at the same time, you would have to admit that nothing could be entered that didnt get us 7 wins. since he did that EVERY YEAR despite whatever circumstance threatened that like:

- losing a bunch of players to academic problems
- having no leadership at the QB position (cant really be taught, IMO)
- increasing the academic entrance requirements

so, why would such a horrible coach (according to some) be able to win 7 when our new coach cant?

i dont get it, i think we should win seven again.

at the same time, you would have to admit that nothing could be entered that didnt get us 7 wins. since he did that EVERY YEAR despite whatever circumstance threatened that like:

- losing a bunch of players to academic problems
- having no leadership at the QB position (cant really be taught, IMO)
- increasing the academic entrance requirements

so, why would such a horrible coach (according to some) be able to win 7 when our new coach cant?

i dont get it, i think we should win seven again.

I do not want to get into the debate over Gailey. What is done, is done and is a sunk cost.

As the situation now exists, we have a transition period with a shortage of 10 to 12 players under the 85 scholarship limit. Plus the offensive players were recruited for an entirely different system, especially when PJ's option seems to be somewhat unique in college football.

If PJ can keep us level for the next 2 years (within +/- 1 game of Gailey's usual 7 - 5 or 7 - 6 record) followed by significant improvement in year 3, then the change will have been more than acceptable in my opinion.

I would trade one or two years of one less win than we had under Gailey for an upside potential of more victories in the future and particularly a victory over UGA.

If we still had Gailey we would be talking 7-10 wins imo. With a new regime and with a dramatic new offense and a new defensive coach, I am worried plenty about this year. I believe PJ will be a good coach for us, but wonder how long it will take to get back where we already were under CHan, much less improve.
:roflmao:

I see where we would still be talking 7 wins under Gailey...maybe a fluke 9 with arguably the best wide receiver to come through CFB...who is our new CJ? Nobody on our current roster, or our current recruits. So assuming that our next CJ will propel us to 9 wins his Junior year, it would be 2013 before we won more than 7 games again. And UGA's streak would be at 13. AWESOME!

We're all worried about this year, but open your eyes and realize that no matter if you thought CG was good or bad, PJ is multitudes better.

Knowing what I know about PJ, and knowing what I know about our fans(especially on this board)...what he said and what we heard are 2 different things.

What he said: Give it 3 years (until we're competing for championships)

What we heard: Give it 3 years (until we are better than Gailey's teams)

Just a thought....

Or he could have been saying :"give it 3 years and I will have $4.5 million in the bank, regardless of our record." Just a thought.

The only thing that bothered me about CPJ's
statement was, he doesn't appear to have
confidence in the current offensive players,
especially our QB. This may very well be insight
into what CPJ's longterm plans for JN are. Can you
say safety?

I think with his track record, no one will argue that
the second JN starts putting the ball on the
ground, he will be riding the pines. TOs dictate
who wins & loses & Coach Johnson will not stand for
it.

I do not want to get into the debate over Gailey. What is done, is done and is a sunk cost.

As the situation now exists, we have a transition period with a shortage of 10 to 12 players under the 85 scholarship limit. Plus the offensive players were recruited for an entirely different system, especially when PJ's option seems to be somewhat unique in college football.

If PJ can keep us level for the next 2 years (within +/- 1 game of Gailey's usual 7 - 5 or 7 - 6 record) followed by significant improvement in year 3, then the change will have been more than acceptable in my opinion.

I would trade one or two years of one less win than we had under Gailey for an upside potential of more victories in the future and particularly a victory over UGA.

i would fine with that also, i will not be happy with a 3 or 4 win season. but i agree with you on the other points

I will be worried if we have losing seasons for two years in 2008 and 2009.

Me too. Two consecutive losing seasons for the flexbone will mean very, very bad recruiting in 2010.

I am an accounting student, and I'm taking several classes on quantitative analysis. Because of this, I have taken several classes on forecasting and budgeting (merely financial forecasting).

NOTHING about Gailey could be put into ANY forecasting model to show that he would win 10 games,

Huh?

The year we won 9 we were about 3 errant ball bounces from a top ten finish.

It helps to watch the games.

The only thing that bothered me about CPJ's
statement was, he doesn't appear to have
confidence in the current offensive players,
especially our QB. This may very well be insight
into what CPJ's longterm plans for JN are. Can you
say safety?

I think with his track record, no one will argue that
the second JN starts putting the ball on the
ground, he will be riding the pines. TOs dictate
who wins & loses & Coach Johnson will not stand for
it.

I can see where the 11 current starters on offense may not be exactly what CPJ envisions for the future; but it is probably better talent that he has ever had before. Personally, I expect to hear some Heisman talk about JN his senior year if he stays healthy. I don't think he'll win it; but I could see him being discussed due to this style offense. Maybe JN gets moved to another offensive position; but I don't see safety in his future.

I'll be disappointed if CPJ doesn't get this team to a bowl every year. I mean heck fire, look how many stinking bowl games there are.

I didn't originally like the move to fire Gailey. I didn't think he was that bad. I still don't. But after all the things that have come out about how soft the offense was and the bickering between the O and the D, how can you not be happy about Coach Johnson coming in. Chan is a good coach, but I'm not certain he's a good head coach. Plus, I don't ever think he truly grasped the importance of beating Georgia.

Or he could have been saying :"give it 3 years and I will have $4.5 million in the bank, regardless of our record." Just a thought.
That's quite a retirement plan...work your butt off from the ground up, competing and winning everywhere you go, then once you get your big break run off with the money.

Wouldn't mutual funds have been easier?

Yukon I DARE you to say one positive thing about GT football.

Knowing what I know about PJ, and knowing what I know about our fans(especially on this board)...what he said and what we heard are 2 different things.

What he said: Give it 3 years (until we're competing for championships)

What we heard: Give it 3 years (until we are better than Gailey's teams)

Just a thought....
I would say the first one, but just for fun have someone ask him...

That's quite a retirement plan...work your butt off from the ground up, competing and winning everywhere you go, then once you get your big break run off with the money.

Wouldn't mutual funds have been easier?

Yukon I DARE you to say one positive thing about GT football.
Who said anything about running off with the money? Hell in three years he might be demanding and deserving a raise. But he does have a pretty hefty salary from day one--so why three years? Or why not take $200,000 per for two years and then jump to the big bucks when the wins start rollin' on in? I am the one POSITIVE voice that has been saying all along that the expectations need to be calmed down a bit and that our football program is about to go into a complete and much needed overhaul that will take more than a year or two. Now the Coach himself is saying exactly what I have been saying. I'm the one who has been saying we can beat Georgia this year, and we can beat Georgia this year because of Paul Johnson, what he knows and how he coaches. And in six years he'll have nine million in the bank.

To tell you the truth I'm not buying it. I don't think CPJ believes it will take 3 years to win, although he may think it will take 3 years before everything is really clicking. I'm expecting 7 at minimum.

Huh?

The year we won 9 we were about 3 errant ball bounces from a top ten finish.

It helps to watch the games.

Call it what you want. You certainly shouldn't "question my fanhood" by assuming I don't watch the games though.

Back