"Give it three years"

If the players are giving more, or at least as much, effort at the end of the season as the beginning, that would be a HUGE improvement over lunacy of ccg.

Personally, I expect to hear some Heisman talk about JN his senior year if he stays healthy. I don't think he'll win it; but I could see him being discussed due to this style offense.

Calvin Johnson arguably was the best player in college football in 2006, and he was drafted No. 2 in the NFL because of that.

However, receivers almost never win the Heisman Trophy, and Calvin did not have the gaudy stats needed for the award due to the offense that GT ran under Gailey.

If Paul Johnson's offense works in a BCS conference, then I could easily see one of GT's backs having the statistical rushing numbers that are needed to win the Heisman Trophy.

Give it 3 years? I can answer that in a number of ways.

1. What choice do we have?
2. I'm ok with 3 unless there is someone who can do it in two. But if there is, why didn't we hire them instead?
3. There is no way I'll ever believe that we can't take the talent we have on offense and learn to run a completely different system in 12 to 18 games. Football is still football. And its not like our players were so in love with Gailey's offense that they are not willing to try to learn and execute CPJs system. It might be uncomfortable at first but they will eventually come to understand how to run it.

Lastly, I still don't get it. Our offense was non-existent under Gailey. It cannot possibly be less productive under Johnson. So, barring a defensive implosion, we should come close to holding serve with where we were under Gailey. And there is nowhere to go but up.

I think there has been a misinterpretation of what Johnson meant. I don't think he meant - give me three years to get things back to where they were under Gailey. I think he meant - starting with where Gailey left off, it might take three years before I look up and down the schedule and not see a team we can't or shouldn't beat.

This year will be up and down - jaw-dropping wins and jaw-dropping losses. But with one more recruiting class to get our roster filled back out and a year of running the new system - we should be pretty decent next year.

But this year - hiccups notwithstanding, every team we play will be terrified of us. Scared to death that we will "put it all together" against them. I actually think we will score some upsets early on just off the psychological ploys that Johnson will use to catch defenses either playing it safe or overplaying our tendencies.

I'll say this much: by December 1, I predict there will be something approaching a consensus among our fan base that a) Johnson is one hell of a football coach and b) he will do one hell of a lot more with our program than his predecessor did.

"Lastly, I still don't get it. Our offense was non-existent under Gailey. It cannot possibly be less productive under Johnson. So, barring a defensive implosion, we should come close to holding serve with where we were under Gailey. And there is nowhere to go but up"

I am no FOC. However, it could actually be worse if we average three turnovers a game.

"Lastly, I still don't get it. Our offense was non-existent under Gailey. It cannot possibly be less productive under Johnson. So, barring a defensive implosion, we should come close to holding serve with where we were under Gailey. And there is nowhere to go but up"

I am no FOC. However, it could actually be worse if we average three turnovers a game.

are you a FOP?

To tell you the truth I'm not buying it. I don't think CPJ believes it will take 3 years to win, although he may think it will take 3 years before everything is really clicking. I'm expecting 7 at minimum.

People on here are so used to mediocrity and expecting mediocrity!!
I agree NcJacket.

He meant, 3 years before he makes a serious run at the MNC....PJ thinks he will win championships here and came here after looking at other opportunities ONLY because he thought he could make GT a major power..I mean MAJOR power....

7 wins would be a dissapointment in any given year under PJ...Even this year with this Defense...
I for one will be dissapointed in anything less than 9 wins this year and in 3 years 10 wins a year minimum..

A little sidenote...People will be shocked at how our walkon program will eventually be one of the best in the country... I have it on good information that it is already being built..we have a running back already, coming in, that could have earned a full scholly at other D1 schools but chose GT as a walkon...A kid from Woodward Academy...

Within 2 to 3 years we will be loaded and no one will be able to shut us down on offense...I'm cautiously optomistic that Wommack will have us as good as and even better on defense...

Who said anything about running off with the money? Hell in three years he might be demanding and deserving a raise. But he does have a pretty hefty salary from day one--so why three years? Or why not take $200,000 per for two years and then jump to the big bucks when the wins start rollin' on in? I am the one POSITIVE voice that has been saying all along that the expectations need to be calmed down a bit and that our football program is about to go into a complete and much needed overhaul that will take more than a year or two. Now the Coach himself is saying exactly what I have been saying. I'm the one who has been saying we can beat Georgia this year, and we can beat Georgia this year because of Paul Johnson, what he knows and how he coaches. And in six years he'll have nine million in the bank.
Well then maybe it's just me imagining you playing devil's advocate in any thread involving GT winning a football game.

Nobody said anything about our upcoming rebuild period.

Nobody said anything about whether or not we can beat UGA.

I made a point about the mental conditioning that 6 years of CG put us in, and how (hopefully) PJ has a different view of "success."

So you come in and complain about him being overpaid while he's building us a new, hopefully championship worthy, team?

And it goes without saying that the argument for PJ being underpaid can be made. See: Notre Dame, Iowa, SMU, UNC, Baylor, Purdue, Maryland.....

Do you think our fans can tolerate three years?

Three years is reasonable. That's about what it took Bobby Ross to make his system work. Johnson has more to work with than Ross did, so I wouldn't expect us to drop off quite the way we did in 87 & 88. But 5-7 wouldn't surprise me. Like the Ross transition, Johnson's playing style is a significant change from his predecessor's and could take some time to gel. But we should have a pretty good idea of how GT football is going to perform under Johnson's leadership by the time the 2010 season's over.

Three years is reasonable. That's about what it took Bobby Ross to make his system work. Johnson has more to work with than Ross did, so I wouldn't expect us to drop off quite the way we did in 87 & 88.

And we see how THAT turned out :biggthumpup:

CPJ is sand-bagging. If he says "I think we'll compete for an ACC championship this year" then anything less will be a disappointment. By saying "Give it 3 years" he sets expectations low for '08, but is giving the notion that we will eventually be contenders.

IMO I think CPJ is confident and will set our team goal this year to win the Coastal. I think its a stretch that we will accomplish that, but that will be CPJ's mindset I promise ya.

Who said anything about running off with the money? I am the one POSITIVE voice that has been saying all along that the expectations need to be calmed down a bit and that our football program is about to go into a complete and much needed overhaul that will take more than a year or two. Now the Coach himself is saying exactly what I have been saying. I'm the one who has been saying we can beat Georgia this year, and we can beat Georgia this year because of Paul Johnson, what he knows and how he coaches. And in six years he'll have nine million in the bank.
Just where have you been saying any of that Yukon? What I've seen you posting has been insulting and negative.

Well then maybe it's just me imagining you playing devil's advocate in any thread involving GT winning a football game.

Nobody said anything about our upcoming rebuild period.

Nobody said anything about whether or not we can beat UGA.

I made a point about the mental conditioning that 6 years of CG put us in, and how (hopefully) PJ has a different view of "success."

So you come in and complain about him being overpaid while he's building us a new, hopefully championship worthy, team?

And it goes without saying that the argument for PJ being underpaid can be made. See: Notre Dame, Iowa, SMU, UNC, Baylor, Purdue, Maryland.....

Who are you, Edgar Cayce? Reading my thoughts---alledgedly----I have not complained that he is overpaid---it was a smart ass remark about football coaches getting paid upfront without having performed one iota. Gailey was the overpaid guy in this equation, but we have ordained Paul Johnson to be worth TWICE as much. The facts are the facts: Johnson is going to bank twelve million dollars no matter what. Good for him, but possibly (possibly) bad for us. Possibly great for us--EXCEPT, what if he really is a world beater? Wins 33 or 34 of his first forty games, Three BCS appearances, three ACC crowns. Can we afford him? Unless and until we as an athletic association can come up with huge $$$$$ support we are in a lose-lose situation. The money we make from football success, bowls, etc helps but with the conference splits, the winning teams help keep Duke funded. Ticket sales and contributions are the key and I don't think the buying public is in the mood to wait three more years on top of the past six. But that's just me.

Three years is reasonable. That's about what it took Bobby Ross to make his system work. Johnson has more to work with than Ross did, so I wouldn't expect us to drop off quite the way we did in 87 & 88.

The players that were left after Curry took off did not like Ross at all, and we know the results of the his first two seasons. It took three years to get the new ones in and the ones that were left to buy into Ross' schemes.

Anyone know how the players are taking to PJ? I know there's been some transfers, but hopefully that's the exception, and not the rule. If they don't buy in early, it will be a long year.

A little sidenote...People will be shocked at how our walkon program will eventually be one of the best in the country... I have it on good information that it is already being built..we have a running back already, coming in, that could have earned a full scholly at other D1 schools but chose GT as a walkon...A kid from Woodward Academy...
You're speaking of Jamal Paige. I met him and his father during Spring Practice. He tells me he ran the triple-option offense in HS and is ready to come in and play. He was the first person Coach Bo spoke to after practice ended. It will be interesting to see how he does. Smart kid.

The players that were left after Curry took off did not like Ross at all, and we know the results of the his first two seasons. It took three years to get the new ones in and the ones that were left to buy into Ross' schemes.

Anyone know how the players are taking to PJ? I know there's been some transfers, but hopefully that's the exception, and not the rule. If they don't buy in early, it will be a long year.

We need some early successes so that the players can have their confidence in the new systems reinforced. It would have to be frustrating for the players to work extra hard in implementing the new systems and then not see a payoff fairly soon.

I am sure that we will have some games where things do not go very well. Hopefully, the bright spots will be frequent enough to offer the encouragement needed by the players to continue working intensely throughout the season on execution efficiency with the offense.

To make the transition to a demanding coach (such as Bobby Ross or PJ) go smoothly, the players have to believe that the effort in meeting the new demands will be rewarded with on-the-field successes.

Knowing what I know about PJ, and knowing what I know about our fans(especially on this board)...what he said and what we heard are 2 different things.

What he said: Give it 3 years (until we're competing for championships)

What we heard: Give it 3 years (until we are better than Gailey's teams)

Just a thought....

dead on. We will be as good as gailey's teams in his first and second, Paul is talking about champs folks not 7 wins.

Also, to note, 3 years to replenish a team under the 85 ship limit and get them experience.....it makes sense.

We need some early successes so that the players can have their confidence in the new systems reinforced. It would have to be frustrating for the players to work extra hard in implementing the new systems and then not see a payoff fairly soon.

I am sure that we will have some games where things do not go very well. Hopefully, the bright spots will be frequent enough to offer the encouragement needed by the players to continue working intensely throughout the season on execution efficiency with the offense.

The real pressure this year may be on the DC. The past several years the defense has been greatly heralded, if we see some defensive lapses this season it probably won't sit well with those guys at all.

Offensively, if they consistently produce 2-3 touchdowns per game, those guys will feel like they have arrived and will probably take on a new swagger; even if the scheme/execution isn't 100% yet. (Note: I'm not talking about running up a score on JAX to average 2-3 touchdowns/game. I'm taking about getting at least 2-3 touchdowns against BC, VT, FSU, UNC, UGA, or whomever.)

I worry less about offensive production than I do offensive counterproduction.

Try doing a little reading gtl. There are articles all over the AJC site, RamblinWreck, etc., where playsrs talk about the new staff and CPJ. The mood is upbeat and positive among the players.

Try doing a little reading gtl. There are articles all over the AJC site, RamblinWreck, etc., where playsrs talk about the new staff and CPJ. The mood is upbeat and positive among the players.

After what the situation apparently was with Gailey/Tenuta, that doesn't surprise me. When you have CPJ bringing a lot of his staff from Navy, you know they are going to be in sync and on the same page, and the players have to love that.

Back