"Give it three years"

"Lastly, I still don't get it. Our offense was non-existent under Gailey. It cannot possibly be less productive under Johnson. So, barring a defensive implosion, we should come close to holding serve with where we were under Gailey. And there is nowhere to go but up"

I am no FOC. However, it could actually be worse if we average three turnovers a game.

Our offense was 3rd in the ACC in ypg last year, behind only BC and Clemson. We would have been 6th in the SEC last year, finishing behind UT and ahead of UGAG.

Say what you wish about our offensive fits and starts, but it wasn't as bad as many like to remember. Our top runner missed the better part of two key games - BC and VT - and played hurt most of the year, our young WR's showed their youth, and our QB showed why he had to wait 3 years to start.

What hurt us more than anything was stupid mistakes on offense at the worst possible times (lack of focus) and occasional sorry play at DB. I attribute both to marginal coaching.

Who are you, Edgar Cayce? Reading my thoughts---alledgedly----I have not complained that he is overpaid---it was a smart ass remark about football coaches getting paid upfront without having performed one iota. Gailey was the overpaid guy in this equation, but we have ordained Paul Johnson to be worth TWICE as much. The facts are the facts: Johnson is going to bank twelve million dollars no matter what. Good for him, but possibly (possibly) bad for us. Possibly great for us--EXCEPT, what if he really is a world beater? Wins 33 or 34 of his first forty games, Three BCS appearances, three ACC crowns. Can we afford him? Unless and until we as an athletic association can come up with huge $$$$$ support we are in a lose-lose situation. The money we make from football success, bowls, etc helps but with the conference splits, the winning teams help keep Duke funded. Ticket sales and contributions are the key and I don't think the buying public is in the mood to wait three more years on top of the past six. But that's just me.
I guess I'm still waiting for some of this positive talk you keep claiming...

I made a positive comment about our new coach, you came back with "smart ass remark" about how much he's being paid...and expect it to be interpreted as positive.

Que?

Gailey wasn't overpaid. We got about as much from Gailey as his salary demanded, in comparison to other coaching salaries.

Now Nick Saban, THAT guy is overpaid.

At a recent celebrity golf tournament to raise money for a non-profit, a friend of mine asked Paul Johnson about his opportunity at GT. He said he needed to find a QB who could run his offense and sounded luke warm on the offensive talent he had at GT. "Give it three years", Paul Johnson said. He said Paul Johnson sounded confident that he could make our program a power.

Do you think our fans can tolerate three years? After Gailey was fired there was a lot of Fans of Chan who will not tolerate anything less than instant improvement. Will we be divided as a fan base again?

With consistency and progression, sure we'll be patient. I'm very bullish on PJ but I'm afraid we'll have to endure only 3 or 4 wins this season. But PJ will get us there.

I don't think anyone should expect to be a national power in less than three years. However, improvement - defined as winning the games you should win, and surprising one or two teams you're not expecting to compete with - should come earlier.

You're speaking of Jamal Paige. I met him and his father during Spring Practice. He tells me he ran the triple-option offense in HS and is ready to come in and play. He was the first person Coach Bo spoke to after practice ended. It will be interesting to see how he does. Smart kid.
I would think that our walk-on program should be pretty decent for kids in GA anyways, with the ability to receive the HOPE scholarship until a possible scholly offer.

To tell you the truth I'm not buying it. I don't think CPJ believes it will take 3 years to win, although he may think it will take 3 years before everything is really clicking. I'm expecting 7 at minimum.
Name your seven wins.

Try doing a little reading gtl. There are articles all over the AJC site, RamblinWreck, etc., where playsrs talk about the new staff and CPJ. The mood is upbeat and positive among the players.
Leave the condescending to me---I am better at it. :laugher:

With consistency and progression, sure we'll be patient. I'm very bullish on PJ but I'm afraid we'll have to endure only 3 or 4 wins this season. But PJ will get us there.

Watch out , bro, predictions like that will be labelled negative and insulting. Believe me, I know.:hsugh:

Name your seven wins.

I think we win 4-5 of the first 6:
JSU, BC, MSU, Duke and GW (lose to VT)

I think we win at least 2 of the last 6:
at least 2 of UNC, UVA, FSU and Miami (lose to CU and UGAG)

I can see us going anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3. I think we lose to VT, CU and UGAG for sure. All the rest are winnable.

Try doing a little reading gtl. There are articles all over the AJC site, RamblinWreck, etc., where playsrs talk about the new staff and CPJ. The mood is upbeat and positive among the players.

Do you believe what's written in the AJC? Do you think RamblingWreck.com's gonna write up how the players hate PJ (if they do)?

Methinks NCJ is being a condesending intelligent anus. Or maybe I'm overly sensitive. Yah, that's it...I'm just feeling vulnerable right now.

Name your seven wins.

I'm with Stinger78. I was looking at the schedule earlier today, actually, and thinking, "You know, we might be in for a very Chanesque season this year."

See, check this out:

I think we win 4-5 of the first 6:
JSU, BC, MSU, Duke and GW (lose to VT)

I think we win at least 2 of the last 6:
at least 2 of UNC, UVA, FSU and Miami (lose to CU and UGAG)

That's entirely realistic, and would be a prototypical Chan season. Get our hopes up with a 5-1 record before losing to Clemson, probably lose to someone in the last 4 we shouldn't have but pull an upset at the same time, lose to UGA, go to a crap bowl. That's seriously what this coming season looks like to me.

But 2009 looks pretty hawt, if we can land enough phat recruits before the Clemson game.

at the same time, you would have to admit that nothing could be entered that didnt get us 7 wins. since he did that EVERY YEAR despite whatever circumstance threatened that like:

- losing a bunch of players to academic problems
- having no leadership at the QB position (cant really be taught, IMO)
- increasing the academic entrance requirements

so, why would such a horrible coach (according to some) be able to win 7 when our new coach cant?

i dont get it, i think we should win seven again.

I get it. If he wins a National Championship after breaking a few eggs, like Bobby Ross, he's fine by me--even if it means a bad season or two. Of course, I'm sure there are some folks who'd rather have seven win seasons every year than one bad season and one great season.

You don't get rich overnight, but you never get rich putting your money under your mattress either.

I agree with NCJ that CPJ has too many good players not to win now and when his system is in place he should win more.
I also agree with BOR about Bill Lewis, he lost control of the program and had to go, that said I do believe that most every coach should be given 5 years.
I still believe that TECH is the hardest coaching job in Div 1.

Watch out , bro, predictions like that will be labelled negative and insulting. Believe me, I know.:hsugh:

I'm old enough to take it and smart enough to see the writing on the wall.

I'm very bullish on PJ. I hope that's positive enough!!

I'm with Stinger78. I was looking at the schedule earlier today, actually, and thinking, "You know, we might be in for a very Chanesque season this year."

See, check this out:

That's entirely realistic, and would be a prototypical Chan season. Get our hopes up with a 5-1 record before losing to Clemson, probably lose to someone in the last 4 we shouldn't have but pull an upset at the same time, lose to UGA, go to a crap bowl. That's seriously what this coming season looks like to me.

But 2009 looks pretty hawt, if we can land enough phat recruits before the Clemson game.

Our schedule is pretty easy in the beginning sans VT, though, so people will be expecting some wins. With Gailey we usually had a few tough games in the beginning that he pulled out and gave us hope.

With a completely different offensive scheme we should see dramatic improvement from game 1 to game 12. The analogy for this is taking some guy to the gym that has never worked out before. He's going to stronger very quickly while someone who has been working out for years might gain a very minimal amount of strength.

Remember that 3 wins is the absolute minimum with Duke plus the IAA teams. UNC, UVA, MSU, FSU and Miami just aren't good enough to justify an 0-fer prediction against them.

I also don't think CPJ considers success 9 wins and a 2nd-teir bowl game. He's saying it will probably take 3 years to become the national power he envisions. This year he'll do alright relative to the results of the last five years.

Back