GT to Big 12 or BiG?

Your view of the ACC is inflated. It is 5th out of 6 BCS conferences, and the first 4 conferences are becoming the Big 4. The sec will expand to 16 teams by adding NC State and VPI. FSU will take Miami or Clemson with them to the Big12. The Big10 will add ND, Maryland, Virginia, and (hopefully) Tech. Face it, the ACC is done, unless Swofford can pull off the miracle of all miracles and grab ND and PSU.

You lost me when you suggest NC State will bolt the ACC. You 'ignant if you think that. You double fail by suggesting the same of VT. It was their wet dream to be in the ACC.

I didn't say only champs from Big 4 will be taken. It won't even be champs, it would likely be top 4 ranked teams. In that format, ACC would not place many teams.

In any format, the ACC would not (will not) place many teams. Like now.

This tangent started with thwg and seemingly you disagreeing with me that the ACC will still get paid under the playoff system. We will. Just like we get paid for sucking in the current BCS system.

Your view of the ACC is inflated. It is 5th out of 6 BCS conferences, and the first 4 conferences are becoming the Big 4. The sec will expand to 16 teams by adding NC State and VPI. FSU will take Miami or Clemson with them to the Big12. The Big10 will add ND, Maryland, Virginia, and (hopefully) Tech. Face it, the ACC is done, unless Swofford can pull off the miracle of all miracles and grab ND and PSU.

Why would Penn State leave the BIG TEN now? Swofford needs to call up ND and sweet talk them into joining the ACC in 2014. Its sad that we are depending on ND to save the conference.

In any format, the ACC would not (will not) place many teams. Like now.

This tangent started with thwg and seemingly you disagreeing with me that the ACC will still get paid under the playoff system. We will. Just like we get paid for sucking in the current BCS system.
and that article has zero information on payment, so what's your point in posting it?

Why would Penn State leave the BIG TEN now? Swofford needs to call up ND and sweet talk them into joining the ACC in 2014. Its sad that we are depending on ND to save the conference.
if they join a conference, it won't be ACC. ACC doesn't pay as much as others.

No, your view of the Big 12 is inflated. They've lost four members to other conferences in the last couple of years. You also don't seem to understand geography.

The ACC is 5th now, perfectly positioned when the PAC 10 expands to 16 teams, destroying the Big 12. The Big 10 also has to add 4 teams and might poach the ACC, but the votes required still leaves us standing. As someone else suggested, winning solves the problem for us.

and that article has zero information on payment, so what's your point in posting it?

if they join a conference, it won't be ACC. ACC doesn't pay as much as others.
Doesn't pay as much ....now.

The point that everyone is ignoring is when will the Senate realize what is going on and decide to step in.

Because thwg's (and I later assumed your) hand waving freakoutery centered on the ACC being left in the dust money wise with the playoff system. The article cements what I was saying earlier. As long as the playoff isn't Big 4 conference champ only, the payouts will have to be split amongst the Big 6 (and non-Big 6 + Independent when they qualify).

Last edited:
Doesn't pay as much ....now.

The point that everyone is ignoring is when will the Senate realize what is going on and decide to step in.
I expect the new playoff to pay each Div 1 conference equally and then pay 5-10 times that amount to the conferences that placed teams in the playoff (among top 4 ranked.)

I don't see how senate or lawsuit can argue with that. It's equal access. Place teams in top 4, get paid.

You lost me when you suggest NC State will bolt the ACC. You 'ignant if you think that. You double fail by suggesting the same of VT. It was their wet dream to be in the ACC.

NC State would have the best of both worlds if they defected to the sec. They would get more money, and they could still play their arch-rival every year. And, it's attractive to the sec, because they would have a brand new market.

VPI wanted the ACC because they were in the BE. They would answer the call from the sec for the same reasons as State would. They would make more money and still be able to play their rival.

Don't underestimate the power the sec has in wooing these schools.

Penn State is not going to be a member, and Big 12 is around and about to get a sweet contract.

This. At this point we have zero shot at getting penn state or ND. If the Big 12's TV contract is as good as rumored then you can forget about that.

It's interesting to watch the big 12, who a year ago was on the brink of collapse, has totally turned its fortunes around and has positioned itself as one of the top power conferences.

The new bowl announcement today was a huge shot across the bow of the ACC. Swofford better have a ---- good plan in place soon or everything is going to go south quickly for him.

I expect the new playoff to pay each Div 1 conference equally and then pay 5-10 times that amount to the conferences that placed teams in the playoff (among top 4 ranked.)

I don't see how senate or lawsuit can argue with that. It's equal access. Place teams in top 4, get paid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=schwarz/110510

Even though the author discusses a case against the BCS, I do wonder how much of it would apply if you do a Find-and-Replace on "BCS" for " hypothetical 4-team playoff." I have no idea.

FSU ain't going anywhere, at least not until the BCS dust settles. There's still a decent chance that Notre Dame will be forced to join a conference, and the ACC is reported to be the leader in those sweepstakes. Adding Notre Dame +1 would result in a huge new contract that would probably rival all except the SEC.

I'm a broke student, so I don't have a lot of money, but I'd bet everything I have that Florida State will remain in the ACC until the new BCS deal is signed. Beyond that, who knows, but I'd still be very surprised if they go anywhere.

Don't underestimate the power the sec has in wooing these schools.

Just don't underestimate how tied to the hip the NC schools are, or how much more they care about basketball than football, or how much footing they'd lose in that area if they left the ACC?

NC State isn't going anywhere.

FSU ain't going anywhere, at least not until the BCS dust settles. There's still a decent chance that Notre Dame will be forced to join a conference, and the ACC is reported to be the leader in those sweepstakes. Adding Notre Dame +1 would result in a huge new contract that would probably rival all except the SEC.

I'm a broke student, so I don't have a lot of money, but I'd bet everything I have that Florida State will remain in the ACC until the new BCS deal is signed. Beyond that, who knows, but I'd still be very surprised if they go anywhere.

What do you mean? They could go join a doomed conference and waste all their extra income transporting lacrosse, softball, and volleyball players around? Where's that argument that Clemson has done a 180 today and is poised to leave so that they can travel 1500 miles every game?

Penn State is not going to be a member, and Big 12 is around and about to get a sweet contract.

Or ND. The fact is that it requires votes and they can't buy out the other 72 teams without expanding to at least 61 schools and they have 48 now, leaving the ACC and Big East at the table. I'll take my chances with the decimated Big East. They don't even have a mid-power team left. The TV contracts can be renegotiated later, but the Big 12 is still in trouble despite any faux bowl contract that they sign with the SEC. In fact, it makes them more susceptible to being poached as it creates rivalries.

Just don't underestimate how tied to the hip the NC schools are, or how much more they care about basketball than football, or how much footing they'd lose in that area if they left the ACC?

NC State isn't going anywhere.

Lose? Kids in NC don't want to play in the sec and stay close to home? I wonder what was said that usc would lose in 1990 when they left the ACC? South Carolina lost nothing and gained everything. The same would be true for State. They would be the envy of tobacco road. Don't forget that the power in these decisions is not in the individual schools; it lies in the marketability and money of the conference who extends the invitation. The sec wants two new markets, and NC and DC are the two best options for their current footprint. In today's climate, money talks, and tradition walks.

What do you mean? They could go join a doomed conference and waste all their extra income transporting lacrosse, softball, and volleyball players around? Where's that argument that Clemson has done a 180 today and is poised to leave so that they can travel 1500 miles every game?

Why do you keep saying the B12 is doomed?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ns-bowl-changes-college-footballs-big-picture

I know it's just a writer, but the arguments are there. The ACC is becoming very, very irrelevant. Better yet, the 64 teams from dominant super conferences could just leave the NCAA altogether and form their own conference.

Why do you keep saying the B12 is doomed?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ns-bowl-changes-college-footballs-big-picture

I know it's just a writer, but the arguments are there. The ACC is becoming very, very irrelevant. Better yet, the 64 teams from dominant super conferences could just leave the NCAA altogether and form their own conference.

The ACC has been irrelevant in football for a while. IF the Big 12 were to survive in a 4 conference scenario, find one that gives the PAC 10, Big 12, SEC, and Big 10 sixteen major teams apiece without GT finding a spot? I think that's more unlikely than the ACC finding a place at the table.

Back