GT to Big 12 or BiG?

well that didn't take long

I assume your wife told you what to do. It sucks to be dumb and a puss. I'm fine letting you off the hook but I bet big and I like to win so if you're going to talk big at least make sure you have the balls to keep the bet for more than 8 hours.:cool:

You didn't agree to my terms of the bet. You keep coming up $0.99 short. If this is the sort of integrity you display on this side of the bet, you clearly should not be trusted to pay. Bet is off the table son. :wink:

I wonder if I understand this correctly - some Tech fans are depending on ncsu & unc to save the ACC?
With swofford as the commish?:rotfl::bowrofl::lol::eek4wtf:

Did nobody see what was happening by adding Pitt & Cuse?

Doesn't anyone realize we are in the state of Georgia? Pretty sure that is why we are called Georgia Tech.

Doesn't anybody understand this is about freaking FOOTBALL? Especially in the South (see Georgia reference)

I can only hope that DRad has the assets and ability to get thru to the idiocy that we know as the "Tech Men."

Since the ACC officially died a few hours ago, where should we go? I think the faculty will prefer the BiG and i think they would prefer the Atlanta market. so, I say we're in the BiG for football in 2013 or 2014 but make the annoucement by this August.

In the end, GT is going to be in a lot better position financially and we'll get to see better football with full stadiums.

Can we start one more motherf-----g thread about this. Jesus. Let anybody write two sentences on the internet about this and somebody starts a new thread.

Can we start one more motherf-----g thread about this. Jesus. Let anybody write two sentences on the internet about this and somebody starts a new thread.
What we need is a game changing poster.

I wonder if I understand this correctly - some Tech fans are depending on ncsu & unc to save the ACC?
With swofford as the commish?:rotfl::bowrofl::lol::eek4wtf:

Did nobody see what was happening by adding Pitt & Cuse?

Doesn't anyone realize we are in the state of Georgia? Pretty sure that is why we are called Georgia Tech.

Doesn't anybody understand this is about freaking FOOTBALL? Especially in the South (see Georgia reference)

I can only hope that DRad has the assets and ability to get thru to the idiocy that we know as the "Tech Men."
So are you going to raise the $25M to get out of the ACC?

It's $20 million

hell, we just spent $30 million on a ---- basketball arena renovation.

The Big 12 paid 1/2 of the WVU fee. If Drad could get the BiG to pay even $5 million and borrow the rest over 10 years, it would be fine.

Thankfully, there are enough big GT boosters who will give $1 million a year for a few years to keep GT in one of the big-boy football conferences. Right now the BiG TV payouts are $12-$13 million PER YEAR more than the ACC. We're pretty good at math. If we can make $12 million more per year, then we'll find a way to come up with the $20 million.

So are you going to raise the $25M to get out of the ACC?

Re: It's $20 million

hell, we just spent $30 million on a ---- basketball arena renovation.

The Big 12 paid 1/2 of the WVU fee. If Drad could get the BiG to pay even $5 million and borrow the rest over 10 years, it would be fine.

Thankfully, there are enough big GT boosters who will give $1 million a year for a few years to keep GT in one of the big-boy football conferences. Right now the BiG TV payouts are $12-$13 million PER YEAR more than the ACC. We're pretty good at math. If we can make $12 million more per year, then we'll find a way to come up with the $20 million.

Where did you come up with $12 million per year?

Re: The BiG paid out $24.6 million per school

I thought the ACC was in the $13 million range. Am I off? I hope so.

And just like every other conference it escalates over time. The ACC average is $17.5 million per year over the life of the contract. They report averages per team over a period of time, not real dollars for the current year.

Noooooooo

I'm NOT talking AVERAGES. The BiG wrote a check a few days ago for $24.6 million for THIS year. Yes, it will go up but I'm talking May 2012.

Please at least get a grasp on the math if you're going to argue. Now, how much did the ACC write us a check for THIS year? Maybe it was $15 million. i thought it was $13 million. I' can't find it online. It's a lot less than Purdue and Northwestern got from the BiG.

After looking further and not finding links, I found a quote from the Syracuse president that the schools from the ACC get $19 million per year from the conference. I have no idea if this is true or comparing apples to apples but if so, the discrepancy between the BiG and ACC is $5.6 million this year.

And just like every other conference it escalates over time. The ACC average is $17.5 million per year over the life of the contract. They report averages per team over a period of time, not real dollars for the current year.

Re: Noooooooo

I'm NOT talking AVERAGES. The BiG wrote a check a few days ago for $24.6 million for THIS year. Yes, it will go up but I'm talking May 2012.

Please at least get a grasp on the math if you're going to argue. Now, how much did the ACC write us a check for THIS year? Maybe it was $15 million. i thought it was $13 million. I' can't find it online. It's a lot less than Purdue and Northwestern got from the BiG.

Read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/49654/college-tv-rights-deals-undergo-makeovers

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/10/03/2011-television-revenue-by-conference/

They might make more because of the Big Ten Network. The $13 million was the average based upon the old contract that was recently renegotiated. To be honest, the big payouts that come down the road will never be paid. Isn't the real issue Big 12 teams though, not Big Ten?

Looks like GT1992 has a clean sweep in the expansion threads. Somebody come up with something, I need to pass the time till nascar comes on tonight.

Quit talking about TV contracts

I'm talking about payouts in real dollars. The Big 12 is irrelevant to me because I don't think GT will go there so I don't care about their numbers. I do hope and pray we end up in the BiG.

I've read hundreds of articles about TV contracts the last fee weeks. I don't care to read more.

How much did the ACC write a check to GT for this year? $19 million?
Read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/49654/college-tv-rights-deals-undergo-makeovers

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/10/03/2011-television-revenue-by-conference/

They might make more because of the Big Ten Network. The $13 million was the average based upon the old contract that was recently renegotiated. To be honest, the big payouts that come down the road will never be paid. Isn't the real issue Big 12 teams though, not Big Ten?

Re: Quit talking about TV contracts

I'm talking about payouts in real dollars. The Big 12 is irrelevant to me because I don't think GT will go there so I don't care about their numbers. I do hope and pray we end up in the BiG.

I've read hundreds of articles about TV contracts the last fee weeks. I don't care to read more.

How much did the ACC write a check to GT for this year? $19 million?

It was $12 or so. However, looking forward, you have to compare the newly renegotiated number. The Big Ten undertook risk and created a network. What the second link I gave shows you is that the new average amount is a couple of million less than the Big Ten's annual average from ESPN.

You're trying to compare spilt milk (the previous contract) with the facts going forward. Yes, the ACC doesn't have a great deal thanks to on the field performance. The real question here though is whether we should jump at a Big 12 invite or not. I say no because there are risks and a better opportunity (SEC or Big 10) may arise.

I agree with that

I am hopeful of a BiG invite though. They paid out $22.8 last year and $24.6 this year so the math would easily work and it would be very good fit for GT in almost every way besides baseball.

Yes, the ACC doesn't have a great deal thanks to on the field performance. The real question here though is whether we should jump at a Big 12 invite or not. I say no because there are risks and a better opportunity (SEC or Big 10) may arise.

The offseason will make people do some stupid ----. CFB is ----ed up beyond belief. At the rate it's going, we're all just going to merge into one conference with 6 divisions, and we'll be back at square 1 again. But hey, maybe that super-mega-walmart conference can actually have an 8 team playoff to determine the conference champion. Somehow CFB would find a way to screw that up. They would have some kind of BCS championship after the conference championship where the conference champion plays the 4th ranked team or something. Then they could have all the bowl games because it's important reward the 35th best team with a [sponsor name] bowl trophy. You know ... tradition.

Back