GT Used to Matter in the CFB World: What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Unpacking my Georgia Tech football angst, and looking to what could be. By Robert Binion @robert_binion

After a mysterious coaching search, up to the microphone stepped Geoff Collins. He talked about the glory days of GT football, although he never seemed to mention the 2 Orange Bowls and 3 UGA victories that his immediate predecessor had engineered. He made lofty promises about restored glory and owning the city that had once belonged to Dodd’s teams until the 1960s.

Now, it’s been 3 years. I’m 34, not 3 anymore. And last Saturday, I sat in my living room, watching the red-clad Bulldog Nation overrun Boddy Dodd Stadium. I saw some 10,000 GT fans endure a humiliating beatdown under the leadership of a coach who has not yet given any indication that he knows what he’s doing.

From the announcers, there was pity. For the GT fanbase, there was embarrassment. For the team, there was heartbreak and frustration. All we could see was the remnants of a football program that doesn’t seem to matter anymore. It makes me sad, and I wonder, will we ever matter again?

Two prominent Georgia Tech boosters went public to Ken Suguira with similar thoughts for a piece that has set off another round of uproar in the GT fanbase. Reading my mind, Steve Zelnak offered this: “We’ve gone from being relevant to who cares? And that’s sad. It’s sad for the players. It’s sad for the fans.”

It gets complicated. Zelnak was the head of the search committee that hired Mike Bobinkski. And Bobinkski was the leader most directly responsible for not giving Paul Johnson the resources he had earned and thought he needed to maintain the gains he had secured. That slowly drove Johnson towards his North Carolina cabin, even as Todd Stansbury entered the picture with a more clear direction on how to properly resource the program.

Now, Stansbury has staked himself to Geoff Collins. Clearly, from Suguira’s reporting, the pair has one more year at most to show significant progress. But if resourced supporters like Zelnak feel this way, things can change. There are almost certainly more wilderness days coming, but the fans who didn’t show up on the Saturday after Thanksgiving are still out there. Scores of people - from former players to coachers to alumni to boosters - who helped make this program what it was still care deeply. A leader is needed to mobilize us. A visionary is needed to capitalize on what GT still is. And then we just might matter again.

Link

pretending that our irrelevance started with Clown Coach is disingenuous. We went from being seen as a cute, service-academy gimmick to a being seen as a ööööshow....but we'd been irrelevant since at least 2015. As fun as 2014 was for us locally, it didn't change the national perception that we were running an antiquated service academy offense that occasionally caught lightning in a bottle. The only times we were being mentioned on the national stage was how many points we were getting as underdogs to Clemson and uga.

I'd say national irrelevance began around 2011 or so. Chan sucked but we were beating (at that point, top-ranked teams) USC & Auburn and the entire country watched Calvin Johnson crush Tiger hopes & dreams that Saturday pm and Kerry Watkins do the same back a few years prior.

Pining for the TO to return is wasted energy. Not surprised the president of the PJ Fan Club posted this tired tripe.

Unpacking my Georgia Tech football angst, and looking to what could be. By Robert Binion @robert_binion

After a mysterious coaching search, up to the microphone stepped Geoff Collins. He talked about the glory days of GT football, although he never seemed to mention the 2 Orange Bowls and 3 UGA victories that his immediate predecessor had engineered. He made lofty promises about restored glory and owning the city that had once belonged to Dodd’s teams until the 1960s.

Now, it’s been 3 years. I’m 34, not 3 anymore. And last Saturday, I sat in my living room, watching the red-clad Bulldog Nation overrun Boddy Dodd Stadium. I saw some 10,000 GT fans endure a humiliating beatdown under the leadership of a coach who has not yet given any indication that he knows what he’s doing.

From the announcers, there was pity. For the GT fanbase, there was embarrassment. For the team, there was heartbreak and frustration. All we could see was the remnants of a football program that doesn’t seem to matter anymore. It makes me sad, and I wonder, will we ever matter again?

Two prominent Georgia Tech boosters went public to Ken Suguira with similar thoughts for a piece that has set off another round of uproar in the GT fanbase. Reading my mind, Steve Zelnak offered this: “We’ve gone from being relevant to who cares? And that’s sad. It’s sad for the players. It’s sad for the fans.”

It gets complicated. Zelnak was the head of the search committee that hired Mike Bobinkski. And Bobinkski was the leader most directly responsible for not giving Paul Johnson the resources he had earned and thought he needed to maintain the gains he had secured. That slowly drove Johnson towards his North Carolina cabin, even as Todd Stansbury entered the picture with a more clear direction on how to properly resource the program.

Now, Stansbury has staked himself to Geoff Collins. Clearly, from Suguira’s reporting, the pair has one more year at most to show significant progress. But if resourced supporters like Zelnak feel this way, things can change. There are almost certainly more wilderness days coming, but the fans who didn’t show up on the Saturday after Thanksgiving are still out there. Scores of people - from former players to coachers to alumni to boosters - who helped make this program what it was still care deeply. A leader is needed to mobilize us. A visionary is needed to capitalize on what GT still is. And then we just might matter again.

Link
ööööing Bob Benson.... of course. Mr. Excrete the waste himself.

Last edited:
pretending that our irrelevance started with Clown Coach is disingenuous. We went from being seen as a cute, service-academy gimmick to a being seen as a ööööshow....but we'd been irrelevant since at least 2015. As fun as 2014 was for us locally, it didn't change the national perception that we were running an antiquated service academy offense that occasionally caught lightning in a bottle. The only times we were being mentioned on the national stage was how many points we were getting as underdogs to Clemson and uga.

I'd say national irrelevance began around 2011 or so. Chan sucked but we were beating (at that point, top-ranked teams) USC & Auburn and the entire country watched Calvin Johnson crush Tiger hopes & dreams that Saturday pm and Kerry Watkins do the same back a few years prior.

Pining for the TO to return is wasted energy. Not surprised the president of the PJ Fan Club posted this tired tripe.
If people don't see that GT2014 = WF2021 in terms of national perception, well that's a Homer view.

Yeah, it started with Gailey: boring offense, boring, mediocre results for 6 years; out of the top 25 for 6 years.

Johnson could not capitalize on his early success and many disliked the offense, even Tech fans. Tech fans are the best at accentuating the negative of any situation.

One top 25 finish in 9 seasons. Top HS players do not even know Tech plays football.

Except for a couple of kickers, no NFL drafted players in 3-4 seasons. I think we have the fewest NFL players at anytime in our history.

Remember when we beat 3 sec teams in 2016 and joked about being sec east champs? That is when we were irrelevant to the football world? Ok...

That take seems about as accurate as the ajc writers saying Geoff Collins was making gt relevant again.

Yeah, it started with Gailey: boring offense, boring, mediocre results for 6 years; out of the top 25 for 6 years.

Johnson could not capitalize on his early success and many disliked the offense, even Tech fans. Tech fans are the best at accentuating the negative of any situation.

One top 25 finish in 9 seasons. Top HS players do not even know Tech plays football.

Except for a couple of kickers, no NFL drafted players in 3-4 seasons. I think we have the fewest NFL players at anytime in our history.

Gailey never finished ranked, never won the conference, only won the division once.

Cpj was ranked thrice (once top 10), won the conference once, the division 4 times.

Both won their share of ranked games though

Link
Thank you for posting this. Ignore the haters. When things are bad, everyone's in a bad mood all the time.

1638902284962.jpeg

Gailey never finished ranked, never won the conference, only won the division once.

Cpj was ranked thrice (once top 10), won the conference once, the division 4 times.

Both won their share of ranked games though

It actually shocked me the unranked stretch with Johnson. We likely deserved to be ranked at least one other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back