GT Used to Matter in the CFB World: What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when we beat 3 sec teams in 2016 and joked about being sec east champs? That is when we were irrelevant to the football world? Ok...

That take seems about as accurate as the ajc writers saying Geoff Collins was making gt relevant again.

You know how many people remember that outside of GT fans?

Winning games isn’t all it takes to be relevant. Regularly being in the top 25 is a good starting point.

It actually shocked me the unranked stretch with Johnson. We likely deserved to be ranked at least one other time.

I forgot how many ranked acc teams there were in 16. 11 we probably would've if we'd won the bowl game.

I was a freshman in 1988 when the football team went winless in the ACC. My friends and I still went to every home game and cheered for the team.

We won the National Championship and went unbeaten 2 years later.

Fact is we have good years and bad years. IIWII

I was a freshman in 1988 when the football team went winless in the ACC. My friends and I still went to every home game and cheered for the team.

We won the National Championship and went unbeaten 2 years later.

Fact is we have good years and bad years. IIWII

I think you're the same as @coit. You know what that means right?

lol you hated 2014

The mutt victory was great and the bowl was fun to watch but the entire season wasn't as awesome and memorable as the PJ fanboys want to try to believe. We started slowly and almost lost a 30+ pt lead at home to loser Southern before losing consecutive games to Duke and UNC. A solid finish but unable to win the ACC-CG. It led to no discernible uptick in recruiting and we were forgotten again 2 years later when we had 9 wins and still ended up unranked.

Poo it all you want but We became irrelevant under PJ.

The mutt victory was great and the bowl was fun to watch but the entire season wasn't as awesome and memorable as the PJ fanboys want to try to believe. We started slowly and almost lost a 30+ pt lead at home to loser Southern before losing consecutive games to Duke and UNC. A solid finish but unable to win the ACC-CG. It led to no discernible uptick in recruiting and we were forgotten again 2 years later when we had 9 wins and still ended up unranked.

Poo it all you want but We became irrelevant under PJ.
:lol2: We lost 3 games by a combined 15 points.

Remember when we beat 3 sec teams in 2016 and joked about being sec east champs? That is when we were irrelevant to the football world? Ok...

That take seems about as accurate as the ajc writers saying Geoff Collins was making gt relevant again.

We did everything you said in 2016 and were STILL unranked at the end of the season.

That's pretty-much the college-football-definition of Irrelevancy. No matter what we did, no one cared nor remembered.

Stopped reading at "...We lost 3 games". If a 3-loss season is what I'm supposed to worship, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Give me a three LOSS season any day rather than having to endure all these three WIN seasons. As far as relevance, I seemed to recall being just as relevant under CPJ as we were under GOL.

Last edited:
It was a nice season. But it did nothing for GT Football Relevance, which is the topic here.
I don't even know what you're saying let alone the OP. I skipped it cause it was just a wall of text. I've come to learn it's a linked article. I might check out the link.

Regardless, outside of Clemson, FSU, and Miami, there's not a single ACC school that wouldn't trade the past 30 years of football with GT.

Give me a three LOSS season any day rather than having to endure all these three WIN seasons. As far as relevance, I seemed to recall being just as relevant under CPJ as we were under GOL.

We weren't though. No one wants the Clown Show any longer so that's a strawman. Last ESPN Gameday at The Flats was under Gailey in 2006 vs Notre Dame. GOL had one in '98. Neither Gailey nor GOL won a single Gameday game, road or home.

PJ didn't have a single Gameday appearance, home or road, in his entire time here. That's irrelevance.

Last edited:
pretending that our irrelevance started with Clown Coach is disingenuous. We went from being seen as a cute, service-academy gimmick to a being seen as a ööööshow....but we'd been irrelevant since at least 2015. As fun as 2014 was for us locally, it didn't change the national perception that we were running an antiquated service academy offense that occasionally caught lightning in a bottle. The only times we were being mentioned on the national stage was how many points we were getting as underdogs to Clemson and uga.
I was wondering when I’d read the dumbest ööööing thing on the internet this week. Congratulations .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back