GT v. FSU in Ireland 2024

Can anyone send me the actual pricing of various Ireland travel package options? A DM is fine if you don't want to post on here.

We are on the fence about going and I want to better understand cost before we pay a deposit. There is a chance we bring inlaws and some others, so need an idea where the total will land before parting with any of my finances.

Do you even $80k, bro?

Do you even $80k, bro?
You’d better if you want one of their packages. They do not include airfare. The packages start at $2500 with a game only package (tickets and hotel in Dublin). They increase from there based on quality of lodging. The 4* three city package of Kerry, Dublin, Galway is over $4k per person not including side excursions you’ll want to take.

You’d better if you want one of their packages. They do not include airfare. The packages start at $2500 with a game only package (tickets and hotel in Dublin). They increase from there based on quality of lodging. The 4* three city package of Kerry, Dublin, Galway is over $4k per person not including side excursions you’ll want to take.
I was very put off by the "give us a deposit now and we'll give you the final price later" thing. I booked my own hotel on Booking.com and will likely get my tickets from stubhub or somewhere (assuming the game is not cancelled pending the outcome of the showdown between F$U and the ACC). I traded a few emails with them but got "index-card" answers so moving on to option B.

I do not understand how these package prices are justified. Cheapest Dublin Only package is $2,600 per person with double occupancy of the hotel room. So, if you and your spouse get this package you will be spending $5,200 for 2 game tickets, 3 nights at a hotel, GT Welcome party, and a bus pass. WTF.

I guess it's for people who just don't any hassle of travel planning but...sheesh. I plan on going to the game but can't imagine getting one of those packages

I do not understand how these package prices are justified. Cheapest Dublin Only package is $2,600 per person with double occupancy of the hotel room. So, if you and your spouse get this package you will be spending $5,200 for 2 game tickets, 3 nights at a hotel, GT Welcome party, and a bus pass. WTF.

I guess it's for people who just don't any hassle of travel planning but...sheesh. I plan on going to the game but can't imagine getting one of those packages
The cheapest package is by far the biggest rip off. Even though they are more expensive, the more expensive packages “cost less” in terms of price per room night and all the other stuff added in (mainly transportation to things and a few attraction admissions).

Just get a room down on the south end of the island and drive up to the game. It only takes like 30 minutes to drive from one end to the other.

Just get a room down on the south end of the island and drive up to the game. It only takes like 30 minutes to drive from one end to the other.
Certainly an option for some... but driving a vehicle on gameday in Ireland is gonna be a no for me

The driving on the wrong side of the road sitting on the wrong side of the car with the stick shift in your left hand will get you before the alcohol makes it to your liver.
Holy crap - didn't even think about that. Only other country I rented a car in was Mexico. but recall it was an American car and the roads were the same. Except that one road that only headed west that I used to head east which led to an encounter with the Federales followed by me saying "Si Seńor" about 437 times while nodding my head a lot. Not sure what he was so pissed off about - its not like it was his vegatable stand.

But I did want to ask - are the clutch and brake pedals also reversed? Has dyslexia ever been cited as a cause of death?

Holy crap - didn't even think about that. Only other country I rented a car in was Mexico. but recall it was an American car and the roads were the same. Except that one road that only headed west that I used to head east which led to an encounter with the Federales followed by me saying "Si Seńor" about 437 times while nodding my head a lot. Not sure what he was so pissed off about - its not like it was his vegatable stand.

But I did want to ask - are the clutch and brake pedals also reversed? Has dyslexia ever been cited as a cause of death?

I didn't have a problem adjusting to the stick shift on the left or driving on the other side, but thankfully the gas, brake and clutch were unchanged, that would've been an issue I think.

Per previous post, pedals are the same. Oh, and did I mention the 1 1/2 lane roads with rock walls on one side and tour busses barreling around curves at you head-on like former F1 drivers are behind the wheel?

Per previous post, pedals are the same. Oh, and did I mention the 1 1/2 lane roads with rock walls on one side and tour busses barreling around curves at you head-on like former F1 drivers are behind the wheel?

That is very accurate. This was the most exciting part for me (but only in retrospect), we drove to the West Coast from Dublin and once we hit those small roads like that it was definitely an adrenaline rush. The best way I can describe it is it after we were done I looked back on it like "that was fun", but it was some pretty intense focus while driving. The passengers were terrified of course.

We rented an automatic - I can drive a stick in a pinch but it’s not preferred. Driving on the left is kind of a non-issue - you’re either in an urban area where you can follow the car in front of you, or you’re in a rural area where the roads are barely over one lane anyway.

The one lane thing just kind of works itself out. People give or take the initiative based on whether there’s room to pull off, and I had to fold my mirror in once or twice, but it was never death-defying.

JRjr

I drove in Ireland once (last time we played over there). Would have actually like to get a manual, but my wife was also an occasional designated driver, so we went with an auto. The initial drive out of the parking garage was probably the weirdest part. Just took a few minutes to adjust to having so much car on the left side of me. Other adjustments:
- Getting used to which lanes cars would be coming from at smaller intersections (like, country road, T intersections).
- Figuring out what lanes go where in larger intersections. Usually you can just follow the car in front of you. In general, traffic circles were easy, intersections with lights, less so.
- Checking your rearview mirror. The first day I was driving I had this kind of nagging feeling that I didn't have as much situational awareness as usual. What I realized was that I was looking up and and to the right for subconscious rearview mirror checks instead of to the left.
- Turn signal/windshield wiper stalks. I honestly don't remember if they were flipped or if my brain tried to make them flipped, but I frequently used the wrong one.

Overall it was a good, fun, uneventful driving experience. I only got honked at once (no clue why, it was on mostly empty roads at night in Belfast), my wife tagged a curb at some point, a few tight squeezes on small roads, but no really scary moments or near-misses.

That is very accurate. This was the most exciting part for me (but only in retrospect), we drove to the West Coast from Dublin and once we hit those small roads like that it was definitely an adrenaline rush. The best way I can describe it is it after we were done I looked back on it like "that was fun", but it was some pretty intense focus while driving. The passengers were terrified of course.
We did the same. When we got close to our destination on the ring of Kerry, I got excited drove too fast......causing my 3 year old to get car sick about a mile from our hotel. In the Virgin Islands we drive on the left hand side, so it was no big deal....other than I kept getting into the car on the passenger side....because the steering wheel was on the right.

We did the same. When we got close to our destination on the ring of Kerry, I got excited drove too fast......causing my 3 year old to get car sick about a mile from our hotel. In the Virgin Islands we drive on the left hand side, so it was no big deal....other than I kept getting into the car on the passenger side....because the steering wheel was on the right.

Hey, Look At That - Caddyshack GIF - Caddyshack Chevy Chase Hey Look At  That - Discover & Share GIFs

Yeah, the turn signal/windshield wiper thing has gotten me every time I’ve been to a drive-on-the-left country.

JRjr

One week from today, college football kicks off from Dublin with Navy vs ND at 2:30 on NBC. It reminds me of a comment CPJ made about the football knowledge of the Irish press when Tech played BC. He had been the coach at Navy when they played ND in Dublin, and one of the reporters asked him if it was unfair that a little private school like ND had to play against the whole US Navy.

Back