Has the CPJ era ‘Jumped The Shark?’

How fast can we install a retractable roof over BDS? Preferably not one that looks like Mega Trons anus like MBS
Put supports outside the stadium and just build a retractable canopy. Plus, put in a huge adjustable magnifying surface to raise the visitors sideline 20+ degrees on hot days.

I have to admit when I see the big QB's running option, like Clemson, I get a tad envious. The throws seem easy. The QB hard to tackle.
then you will dearly love watching Josh Jackson running with the football. Big, fast, tough. And can pass.

I can't. That play hurt me bad. Real bad. On a scale from 1-10 it is between Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein.
That's how I am about the dropped ball on 4th down against UGA in 2009.

That's how I am about the dropped ball on 4th down against UGA in 2009.
That and Steven Hill could have been a hero had he somehow caught it at the goal line a play before

I'm still not over Adrian Rucker fumbling in the 4th qtr in athens in 1976. It'll be years before I get to the '09 game.

We have to score on every position to mitigate our defensive ineptitude.

That was certainly true during the Tevin Washington years. I don't think that's true this year. Our defense has really done well in about half the other team's possessions in each of our losses. D held UVA to 6 points on offense in the first half yo.

In the UVA game...

the D got a pick 6
our ST gave up a KR for a touchdown
the O got a safety

That's 9 points on the UVA scoreboard that the D didn't give up, and another 7 that the D earned themselves. Wipe those 9 off the scoreboard, and give the D credit for their 7, and there's a 16 point deficit in your argument. The problem vs UVA was clearly, clearly, the offense.

That was certainly true during the Tevin Washington years. I don't think that's true this year. Our defense has really done well in about half the other team's possessions in each of our losses. D held UVA to 6 points on offense in the first half yo.

In the UVA game...

the D got a pick 6
our ST gave up a KR for a touchdown
the O got a safety

That's 9 points on the UVA scoreboard that the D didn't give up, and another 7 that the D earned themselves. Wipe those 9 off the scoreboard, and give the D credit for their 7, and there's a 16 point deficit in your argument. The problem vs UVA was clearly, clearly, the offense.
And specials.

In fact, it's like all three phases took turns playing like ass.

If we can't take advantage of the defenses crowding the line, we're ööööed. Even Nesbitt, who was inaccurate, and Tevin, who had a noodle for an arm, could throw to a damn A-back streaking down the middle of the field. Marshall apparently cannot.

If we can't take advantage of the defenses crowding the line, we're ööööed. Even Nesbitt, who was inaccurate, and Tevin, who had a noodle for an arm, could throw to a damn A-back streaking down the middle of the field. Marshall apparently cannot.

Nor can he spot a wide open guy in the endzone from the 10.*

* UVa game.

Our O is 40th in nation in scoring and 42nd in total yards. To me, that's "not working". Those stats are nothing to be proud of and I'd bet CPJ is not. The scheme is supposed to provide us an advantage - an equalizer of sorts - and it's clearly not doing that as the results and stats this year show.
Total offense and scoring is a terrible indicator for us, as our style of play limits possessions on both sides of the ball. Here are the efficiency rankings for our units under CPJ. Here's a link if you want to check our their methodology: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

Offense:
2008 - 24 (new QB)
2009 - 2
2010 - 64 (new QB)
2011 - 16
2012 - 11
2013 - 39 (new QB)
2014 - 3 (new QB)
2015 - 88
2016 - 21
2017 - 19 (new QB)

Average: 28.7

Defense:
2008 - 71
2009 - 100
2010 - 84
2011 - 85
2012 - 74
2013 - 77
2014 - 70
2015 - 62
2016 - 94
2017 - 44

Average: 76.1

Here are Rivals recruiting rankings, for comparison.

Recruiting:
2008 - 49
2009 - 49
2010 - 43
2011 - 41
2012 - 56
2013 - 84
2014 - 47
2015 - 39
2016 - 67
2017 - 41 (so far)

Average: 51.6

I don't know how else you could interpret this. Our recruiting has been mediocre at best. With an average coach, you'd expect to perform roughly as well as your recruiting rankings, especially over a 10 year period. Our defense has been MUCH worse than that, and our offense has been MUCH better. Outside of 2015, which was disastrous from an injury standpoint, and 2010, when our 4 best players jumped to the NFL and then our QB broke his arm, our offense has been unbelievably consistent. Our defense has been absolutely pathetic, although it appears to have improved somewhat under Roof.

Our offense is not perfect, but I would argue that the majority of our offensive woes are talent-related (can't block a good DL, QB can't pass, WR's can't separate, etc.) and not scheme-related. That doesn't mean the scheme or playcalling is without fault (this weekend was not very good, IMO), but it just seems so obvious to me that it is the last "problem" we should be focusing on. If I was a CPJ hater, I would be railing on his inability to field a competent defense or recruit elite talent, not his offense that has been top 3 in the ACC almost every single year.

His playcalling Saturday was "tremendous"

Glad I’m not in a film room or on a practice field this week ...:scared:

His playcalling Saturday was "tremendous"
Obvs sarcasm.

Dang he was testy.

I do like having a coach who hates losing. I don’t like having a coach who doesn’t know how to fix it.

Last edited:
Back