Here’s the Thing

The comparisons to previous coaches don't really hold much water in my mind given the drastic differences in culture hyperbolized by the social media juggernaut that has arisen over CPJ's tenure and the impacts it has on the attitudes of today's student athletes.

Selling life after football, while a strategy GT should hammer, won't necessarily work on the best players as the believe they deserve to play at the highest level and the word deserve is used far too often anymore.

Additionally, our current offense allows us to thrive to some extent on tweeners that would just be ATH in other programs. We get a jump for these guys in showing them a clear path to the field. Without this niche offense, it's a helluva grind against all the nearby factories for talent.

All in all, it's a much trickier landscape to navigate now than it was for any previous coach at GT IMO and there is no easy solution that doesn't involve an equally powerful compromise at the institutional level.

IIWII
Disband the program
Kill myself

Last edited:
The comparisons to previous coaches don't really hold much water in my mind given the drastic differences in culture hyperbolized by the social media juggernaut that has arisen over CPJ's tenure and the impacts it has on the attitudes of today's student athletes.

Selling life after football, while a strategy GT should hammer, won't necessarily work on the best players as the believe they deserve to play at the highest level and the word deserve is used far too often anymore.

All in all, it's a much trickier landscape to navigate now than it was for any previous coach at GT IMO and there is no easy solution that doesn't involve an equally powerful compromise at the institutional level.

IIWII
Disband the program
Kill myself
Don’t forget that last part

I'm just going to go on record. If GT ever legitimately fires Paul Johnson, the most successful coach we've had since Bobby Dodd, I'm done watching GT football.

And you guys will be too about 3 years later, once the wheels come completely off the bus.

I'm just going to go on record. If GT ever legitimately fires Paul Johnson, the most successful coach we've had since Bobby Dodd, I'm done watching GT football.

And you guys will be too about 3 years later, once the wheels come completely off the bus.
How’s your garden coming?

So no matter what our record is going forward, CPJ must stay? We are about to have 20 losses over the last 3 years. It would be 21 if we had played Central Florida. Seven losses per year on average. How long does he get to stay with those numbers?

So no matter what our record is going forward, CPJ must stay? We are about to have 20 losses over the last 3 years. It would be 21 if we had played Central Florida. Seven losses per year on average. How long does he get to stay with those numbers?
Dude, let's wait for us to lose the games before you treat them as losses. I'm guessing last year when we were sitting at 3-3 you weren't predicting we'd end up 9-4.

I just going to throw this out there: Paul Johnson's win % at Tech is .590, and Chan Gailey's (who is almost universally disliked by Tech fans) was .580.

It seems to me that a lot of Tech fans have bought into the mindset that if we don't run a unique system, we can't compete at the highest levels. Another poster pointed out that the football landscape has changed over the years, and that is true. Even back to the Dodd days, one of the biggest recruiting problems was getting the rural kids with an academic background that could handle Tech's academics. However, today there is a huge pool of athletes in the metro Atlanta area who do have the academic background to handle the rigors, and they frankly don't consider Tech because of the system he runs and his personality.

Maybe Tech will never do better than Johnson, who knows? And I am not advocating firing him. But it does sadden me to see a number of people just settle for mediocrity.

I just going to throw this out there: Paul Johnson's win % at Tech is .590, and Chan Gailey's (who is almost universally disliked by Tech fans) was .580.

It seems to me that a lot of Tech fans have bought into the mindset that if we don't run a unique system, we can't compete at the highest levels. Another poster pointed out that the football landscape has changed over the years, and that is true. Even back to the Dodd days, one of the biggest recruiting problems was getting the rural kids with an academic background that could handle Tech's academics. However, today there is a huge pool of athletes in the metro Atlanta area who do have the academic background to handle the rigors, and they frankly don't consider Tech because of the system he runs and his personality.

Maybe Tech will never do better than Johnson, who knows? And I am not advocating firing him. But it does sadden me to see a number of people just settle for mediocrity.

That 1% gap is a lot bigger in the minds of most because Johnson has beat georgia.

Chan should have beat georgia at least twice during his time here but it was always screwed up somehow.

I used to refuse to settle for mediocrity. I was going to do my part. I'd go into each year saying we are going to be national champions. The first loss of each year was a long fall off a tall mountain. I don't know if I now settle for mediocrity, but I have accepted reality: We don't have the budget, the leadership or the desire to do what is necessary to compete for championships. And I have very little influence to change that.

As for PJ, in our current state of reality, I think he's the best coach we could have asked for. I'm surprised he hasn't got fed up with the folks at GT and left.

So we should keep the guy regardless of how we do? If we have 3 losing seasons in a row, you think we should extend the guy?

The wheels came off completely in 2015 and are hanging on by a lug nut in 2017.

I'm surprised he hasn't got fed up with the folks at GT and left.
The guy is paid $200k+ per month. That’s $7k per day. He (allegedly) had chances to leave in 2009. Nowadays anyplace he’d go would pay much less.

And there’s so much insular navel gazing on this board it’s ridiculous. GT fans are *less* demanding than major programs’ fans. CPJ has a much longer leash here than at a place like Tenn or Nebr. For heavens sake Fla just fired a guy who took Muschamp’s disaster and won two straight East crowns. No way CPJ would’ve survived 2010-2013 anywhere else.

The reality is he’d be crazy to leave — unless he just was sick of coaching at the Div I level and wanted to go into semi-retirement helping out a minor school.

I don't know if I now settle for mediocrity, but I have accepted reality: We don't have the budget, the leadership or the desire to do what is necessary to compete for championships. And I have very little influence to change that.

As for PJ, in our current state of reality, I think he's the best coach we could have asked for. I'm surprised he hasn't got fed up with the folks at GT and left.

I agree. If we want to change our state of reality, it will take more fans, more money, and a good dose of cooperation from the Hill (which has not been forthcoming). Short of that, we have to work within the parameters we have.

Reactions: eg1
The guy is paid $200k+ per month. That’s $7k per day. He (allegedly) had chances to leave in 2009. Nowadays anyplace he’d go would pay much less.

And there’s so much insular navel gazing on this board it’s ridiculous. GT fans are *less* demanding than major programs’ fans. CPJ has a much longer leash here than at a place like Tenn or Nebr. For heavens sake Fla just fired a guy who took Muschamp’s disaster and won two straight East crowns. No way CPJ would’ve survived 2010-2013 anywhere else.

The reality is he’d be crazy to leave — unless he just was sick of coaching at the Div I level and wanted to go into semi-retirement helping out a minor school.

I don't know why he hasn't gotten sick of the stupid stuff. Maybe the $7k per day. Haha. But I doubt he needs the money now.

Back