Here we go again. Conference expansion

Notre Dame isn’t joining any conference. And it’s not because they want to retain their independence to play their classic rivals—-that’s their bs excuse.

Notre Dame isn’t joining any major conference because they cannot consistently win any P5 conference championship. And they would never make the playoffs. Instead, they will rely on their political power to make the playoffs and then get embarrassed because they shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

They walked through the ACC last year. 9-0

They went 31-10 in the 2010's against the ACC.

Since 2015: 5-1, 2-3, 4-1, 5-0, 5-1, 9-0 (That is 23-2 vs the ACC since 2017)

But yeah... they can't hang in the ACC :bfd:

Notre Dame isn’t joining any conference. And it’s not because they want to retain their independence to play their classic rivals—-that’s their bs excuse.

Notre Dame isn’t joining any major conference because they cannot consistently win any P5 conference championship. And they would never make the playoffs. Instead, they will rely on their political power to make the playoffs and then get embarrassed because they shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

…in conjunction with their NBC deal…these deals are all about money.

I’m starting to wonder if the SEC adding Texas is a short term gain but long term loss. The financial benefits are obvious, but the animosity between A&M and Texas is toxic and the perpetual whining between them is legendary…it was a major contributor to the fall of the BIG12.

Texas is like UGA on steroids….entitled, arrogant and completely devoid of objectivity. Good luck managing it…it will be a full time effort.

…in conjunction with their NBC deal…these deals are all about money.

Everything I've read is that the ND-NBC deal isn't all that lucrative. It is $15 million annually with another $6 million coming from the ACC deal.

For the hell of it, reach out to SC and Stanford to join along with Notre Dame. Then drop with wake or Duke from football membership. 16 teams, go with 4 pods with a nine game conference schedule like the sec media is proposing.

If the Acc can’t stomach dropping anybody, add the three teams above then get to 20 teams:
- Reach out to Penn St
- Add Washington and/or Oregon. Both if Penn st says no. More enticement for west coast schools to join
- Add a Texas school for the tv market
- Add West Virginia to get to 20 if needed

4 five-team pods. 9 game conference schedule. Can still have a championship game based on best record between pod pairs. Plenty of well branded teams and marquee matchups.

I heard a YouTube sports opinion guy, a guy with an opinion "show" called "the blue and gold dude" or something like that, who said he had it from "very reliable sources" that West Vintage Virginia was definitely joining the ACC and that the ACC was going to kick out some weak teams like "Syracuse... and Georgia Tech" to make room for some better teams like "Cincinnati."

Now, I don't have confidence in this guy. He said he was a West Virginia fan, so maybe that explains his viewpoint. But, just hearing what he said made me both mad and a little concerned. This is an uncertain time, and it is also a time when Georgia Tech is going through a transition and not winning many games.

My point is that I think we should quit talking about the ACC kicking schools out, because some people think --even if they are irresponsible and uninformed-- that Georgia Tech is one of the weak schools in the ACC that needs to be kicked out. Plus, I think the ACC needs to be loyal to the schools it has.

So, everybody can say what they want. But, I'm going to quit talking about kicking existing members out, just out of respect for their fans and not liking it when people talk that way about Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech is not getting booted from the ACC. Cincinnati? Most folks think of Cincinnati and Louisville as being the same school and we already have Louisville, the better of the two.

I think the ACC looks weak and desperate letting any school in as a partial member. This is not something a real power conference should ever do. Last year, the ACC saved their football season. They don't seem too grateful. I wish the ACC would adopt a policy of no members other than full members. Just letting them keep us dangling keeps the ACC from knowing what it needs to do, in my opinion. I don't want go treat them badly, but just don't want them to keep using us.

I heard a YouTube sports opinion guy, a guy with an opinion "show" called "the blue and gold dude" or something like that, who said he had it from "very reliable sources" that West Vintage Virginia was definitely joining the ACC and that the ACC was going to kick out some weak teams like "Syracuse... and Georgia Tech" to make room for some better teams like "Cincinnati."

Now, I don't have confidence in this guy. He said he was a West Virginia fan, so maybe that explains his viewpoint. But, just hearing what he said made me both mad and a little concerned. This is an uncertain time, and it is also a time when Georgia Tech is going through a transition and not winning many games.

My point is that I think we should quit talking about the ACC kicking schools out, because some people think --even if they are irresponsible and uninformed-- that Georgia Tech is one of the weak schools in the ACC that needs to be kicked out. Plus, I think the ACC needs to be loyal to the schools it has.

So, everybody can say what they want. But, I'm going to quit talking about kicking existing members out, just out of respect for their fans and not liking it when people talk that way about Georgia Tech.
You need to turn off the YouTube

It's probably my öööö the world streak, feel free to tell me I need to forget it and get back to getting brutally pegged by your mom...

Following this stuff from a distance, when the thought comes up of GT being "left behind" somehow, it doesn't freak me out because I would kind of like to see us as an independent... Certainly better than ending up in an even worse football conference than current ACC...

Obv $$ is an issue. But I think it would be fun and it kinda fits. Heisman Trophy is us. College Football HOF is us. The spectacle of big games in the Benz, or under the lights in downtown ATL. Our kids can actually read, and by and large represent what's good about college sports. We're no longer running an offense that people are scared to schedule. I would love to see our schedule have Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Tenn, Gaggers, ND, whoever instead of Wake, Pitt, Duke, Boston College, Syracuse, NC State, an and on..

Ok back to reality, ain't happening, right? ST mom, strap that big black thing on and get back to work.

It's probably my öööö the world streak, feel free to tell me I need to forget it and get back to getting brutally pegged by your mom...

Following this stuff from a distance, when the thought comes up of GT being "left behind" somehow, it doesn't freak me out because I would kind of like to see us as an independent... Certainly better than ending up in an even worse football conference than current ACC...

Obv $$ is an issue. But I think it would be fun and it kinda fits. Heisman Trophy is us. College Football HOF is us. The spectacle of big games in the Benz, or under the lights in downtown ATL. Our kids can actually read, and by and large represent what's good about college sports. We're no longer running an offense that people are scared to schedule. I would love to see our schedule have Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Tenn, Gaggers, ND, whoever instead of Wake, Pitt, Duke, Boston College, Syracuse, NC State, an and on..

Ok back to reality, ain't happening, right? ST mom, strap that big black thing on and get back to work.
giphy.gif

I’m pretty sure we have a ‘look in’ with ESPN right now on our contract or if we add any new member. That is why it is critical to move quick now and secure someone so we can open up the negotiations on our current deal. Doing nothing locks us in until the next look in period in 5 or 7 years out. The ACC won’t last that long if we stay at our current payouts.

Let's take a look at how those look-in talks will go:

Why should we pay you more? Disney shareholders appreciate we pay less than market rates for your content which draws live eyeballs which is very difficult to do on TV these days. Here's a 1.5% raise, see you in a decade.

Comcast currently represents 0% of ACCN carriage:

Comcast is the largest Cable TV provider in the country:

Getting ACCN on Comcast could be a significant increase in revenues.....depending on what is negotiated in today's challenging carriage environment.

You'll get no argument from me that Swofford sucks.....and if the deal with his son does not pass the smell test.

The largest cable provider in the country is still a minority of all TV revenue even when they're fully onboard. Hence ... Comcast is a minority of ACCN TV revenue. There's dozens and dozens and dozens of carriers. Comcast may be the biggest but that isn't some sea change in revenue.

Last edited:
Let's take a look at how those look-in talks will go:

Why should we pay you more? Disney shareholders appreciate we pay less than market rates for your content which draws live eyeballs which is very difficult to do on TV these days. Here's a 1.5% raise, see you in a decade.

I was told the ACC has a re-negotiation right if they expand. So you are correct, do nothing and they with give you the courtesy raise like at work. If we add a team, we have the opportunity to re-negotiate the deal or put it to the open market again.

Wrong shade of "gold" #amirite

Some moron on YT says the ACC should drop GT for Cincy and this hurts your feelings? WVU may end up in the ACC one day, but some idiot out in West Virginia doesn't have insider access on it.

As for conference loyalty to non-football programs, there's such thing as loyalty to a fault. Is it worth keeping Wake and Duke as full members if it causes conference instability? They can be everything but football members, get paid accordingly, and the conference would be stronger for it. And that's 2 less garbage games on the schedule, likely increasing season ticket sales for GT. A classic win/lose/win scenario.

Last edited:

Lol. This guy with the inside scoop. "Heard today from several people something we've known about the Big Ten for decades"

The only realistic play that this really takes off the table is the possibility for them to take Missouri away as some part of an expansion package deal. The only play for the Big 10 or the ACC is Notre Dame. That would be a lifeline for Kansas (B1G) or WVU (ACC) to get to 16 members.

Last edited:
Official

I think the SEC will regret this. It seems great, but Texas has a very exaggerated view of itself. It has brought ruin to every conference it has been in. This has already caused discord within the SEC, and has shown how unethical the SEC is acting, even to its own member. As a Tech fan, I am glad the SEC has finally hurt itself.

The SEC is like Germany before WWII, grabbing everything it sees. They will have to be stopped. Maybe all the other Power 5 conferences should quit playing any SEC teams during the regular season. Yes, it would hurt not playing UGA etc, but it would really cripple the SEC. What else will stop them? They don't care about anybody else.

I think the SEC will regret this. It seems great, but Texas has a very exaggerated view of itself. It has brought ruin to every conference it has been in. This has already caused discord within the SEC, and has shown how unethical the SEC is acting, even to its own member. As a Tech fan, I am glad the SEC has finally hurt itself.

The SEC is like Germany before WWII, grabbing everything it sees. They will have to be stopped. Maybe all the other Power 5 conferences should quit playing any SEC teams during the regular season. Yes, it would hurt not playing UGA etc, but it would really cripple the SEC. What else will stop them? They don't care about anybody else.
Yeah except the Nazis are pretty popular in this case..

Back