Here we go again. Conference expansion

Don't doubt UGAgs desire to kill us off. Hell, they'd kill off Florida and Tennessee's programs if they could.

Im sure they would love to do it, but we’re the other major program in the state home to college football, one of the top 4, arguably top 3, talent hotbeds in the country, we’ve got a top 20-25 history, we are an excellent research institution, and we are a football school with a football minded fan base, despite how many tickets we sell at the gate. We’re not being left out, I’m sure the invitation to the b10 is there anytime we would want it, but unless the ACC collapses were in a good spot.

Im sure they would love to do it, but we’re the other major program in the state home to college football, one of the top 4, arguably top 3, talent hotbeds in the country, we’ve got a top 20-25 history, we are an excellent research institution, and we are a football school with a football minded fan base, despite how many tickets we sell at the gate. We’re not being left out, I’m sure the invitation to the b10 is there anytime we would want it, but unless the ACC collapses were in a good spot.
I don't think this realignment will help the mutts as much as they might think it will. The have historically played weak schedules, and even with the addition of a single OOC good team per year recently, those schedules have remained pretty much the same from year to year, with them invariably losing to at least one of the SEC rivals. With the possible addition of two historically better programs, they SHOULD be faced with tougher schedules and the same, and possibly more, losses. I hope they lose every damn game they play.
Additionally, mutt fans fail to accept that outside of the SE, most people, when they think of southeastern football, or college football in general, don't put the mutts on their list. The TV announcers invariably try to build them up to the extreme, but I don't think that carries over to that many fans throughout the country. SE football means Bama, LSU, and recently Clemson and for several years FSU. From the '20s till the mid 60's, even when the mutts had good teams, Tech was THE team from the state of Georgia and one of the tops in the southeast and the entire country. The fact that Tech games were televised as often as they were in the early days of television supports that fact. And the fact that, even though the mutts DID share the 1942 NC with OSU, if you ask anybody outside Georgia today who won that NC, they will immediately say OSU, with no mention at all of a shared title.

I would much rather play BC than Weak Forest or Duke. If we are going to clean house I would start with Wake Forest, then Duke (without Coach K and Cutcliffe aging out as well, the future for Duke looks bleak), after that Syracuse (they can't seem to get their act together).

i don’t disagree, at least Duke has strong bball.I would be fine with shedding most of the northern schools.

i don’t disagree, at least Duke has strong bball.I would be fine with shedding most of the northern schools.
Shed Duke, WF, Pitt, Syracuse and BC. Get OSU, Michigan, PSU, MSU, WV and ND to fill the spaces. That would be a good conference.

"College sports" don't exist anymore. "Student athletes" don't exist anymore.

We now have professional football level one played on Sunday in major cities, and professional football level two played on Saturday in country towns.

The "ATL" already has a team in level one.

Bobby Dodd was a great and good man. But, just like many others, he got overconfident and screwed up. Even if he hadn't, what would Tech be? Another Vanderbilt. A level two team in a level one city.

What all this gnashing of teeth comes down to is us wishing we were Vanderbilt.

Do Clemson, FSU and North Carolina really want to go from owning their own pretend-Power Five league to being just another Mississippi State in the mighty SEC? They probably do.

The mighty SEC is running short of one thing: teams to beat. In a 16 team super league, everybody can't play Vanderbilt every year.

Bobby Dodd didn't get 'overconfident' as much as he got arrogant. You see his arrogant attitude in his followers to this day. The whole 'we may not be winning but we are doing it the right way; everyone else is unethical and not as holy as us'. You don't refuse to play games in Mississippi because you are overconfident. You don't take your ball and leave when you don't get your way either.

If you really think GT would have become Vanderbilt if we stayed in the SEC, or that FSU and Clemson will be like Mississippi State in the SEC then that's really all we need know.

Interesting article from USA Today about the possible expansion and reconfiguration. It would seem that it might not be as cut and dry as people are claiming --- https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-leaving-big-12-for-sec-questions/8047216002/

This is why most of the arguments and freakoutery are stupid and based on ridiculous speculative hyperbole - statements like this:

"Ten years after college football's map was drawn and redrawn amid massive realignment, the Longhorns and Sooners have the potential to usher in a brand-new landscape defined by 16-team behemoth conferences that ignore geography, history and rivalry in chase of larger and larger television contracts."

Geography? The SEC is already in Texas. Texas is adjacent to Arkansas and Louisiana. Oklahoma is adjacent to Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri. It's nothing like a geographic hopscotch.

Rivalry? Not a single major rivalry is sacrificed under almost every speculative plan. On the contrary Texas gets to play Arkansas again, and aTm gets UT back whether they want it or not. Oklahoma can continue to play Oklahoma State OOC just like the SEC-ACC rivalries. The minor rivalries LSU has with Bama and UF might become less frequent but those aren't really that important. Tennessee will still get Alabama every year. Georgia is still going to play Auburn. None of that changes. That's part of what makes what the SEC has done so smart. They don't sacrifice history and they don't sacrifice tradition and rivalry.

History? Ok maybe, but if nothing else the Big 12 has been a stitched together entity since the demise of the Southwest Conference. I mean unless you really care about those great intrastate rivalries with Baylor and TCU and TTU. Hell I'm sure there are a few in Texas who shed a tear that Rice vs. SMU doesn't mean as much anymore.

Has anyone seen any speculative numbers on what getting an ACC Network deal with Comcast will do to the ACC payouts?

If they created a 20 team mega conference, but allowed for promotion and relegation from other conferences, I could get behind that.
Relegation might be the dumbest idea for CFB that's been proposed. It's tight for pro sports, but how is relegation gonna work for college football, especially when things change so much from year to year, and there are many great (sometimes the best) teams that were not good the year before, or are terrible the next year. You would see really good teams loaded up with a single recruiting class or bunch of seniors in a lower division, where they would win tons of games in that lower division (and may be better than anyone in the top division), get promoted to the top division and then suck ass the next year cause all the players are gone.

This is the ACC:

ACC Division
Clemson Tigers
North Carolina Tar Heels
Duke Blue Devils
NC State Not-Hurricanes
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Virginia Cavaliers

Refugee Division
Georgia Tech Not-Falcons
Florida State Seminoles
Bobby Dodd didn't get 'overconfident' as much as he got arrogant. You see his arrogant attitude in his followers to this day. The whole 'we may not be winning but we are doing it the right way; everyone else is unethical and not as holy as us'. You don't refuse to play games in Mississippi because you are overconfident. You don't take your ball and leave when you don't get your way either.

If you really think GT would have become Vanderbilt if we stayed in the SEC, or that FSU and Clemson will be like Mississippi State in the SEC then that's really all we
This is why most of the arguments and freakoutery are stupid and based on ridiculous speculative hyperbole - statements like this:

"Ten years after college football's map was drawn and redrawn amid massive realignment, the Longhorns and Sooners have the potential to usher in a brand-new landscape defined by 16-team behemoth conferences that ignore geography, history and rivalry in chase of larger and larger television contracts."

Geography? The SEC is already in Texas. Texas is adjacent to Arkansas and Louisiana. Oklahoma is adjacent to Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri. It's nothing like a geographic hopscotch.

Rivalry? Not a single major rivalry is sacrificed under almost every speculative plan. On the contrary Texas gets to play Arkansas again, and aTm gets UT back whether they want it or not. Oklahoma can continue to play Oklahoma State OOC just like the SEC-ACC rivalries. The minor rivalries LSU has with Bama and UF might become less frequent but those aren't really that important. Tennessee will still get Alabama every year. Georgia is still going to play Auburn. None of that changes. That's part of what makes what the SEC has done so smart. They don't sacrifice history and they don't sacrifice tradition and rivalry.

History? Ok maybe, but if nothing else the Big 12 has been a stitched together entity since the demise of the Southwest Conference. I mean unless you really care about those great intrastate rivalries with Baylor and TCU and TTU. Hell I'm sure there are a few in Texas who shed a tear that Rice vs. SMU doesn't mean as much anymore.

Here's an expansion plan for the ACC.

Just wait a few years and take the teams that get kicked out of the SEC. Pretty soon they'll start wondering why Alabama and Texas aren't getting more money than Vanderbilt and South Carolina.

Do Clemson, FSU and North Carolina really want to go from owning their own pretend-Power Five league to being just another Mississippi State in the mighty SEC? They probably do.

We're talking about the Clemson who has gone 9-1 versus the SEC in the regular season over the past five years, right? And beat Alabama twice in the playoffs?

I think you might be overestimating how good MSU is.

Also what world are you in where UNC owns their league? Their highest finish in their division (not even conference) over the last five years is third.

The ACC's ace in the hole is Comcast Xfinity:

“We’re hopeful to come to an agreement with these cable providers that aren’t carrying the network, and that’s anytime between now through the end of the year,” Phillips said in a Wednesday interview with the AJC at the ACC Kickoff media event.

With the ACC Network's footprint, this could potentially level the playing field when it comes to TV revenue.

The SEC is adding Texas and Oklahoma, and The ACC is trying to get on cable.

The ACC's ace in the hole is Comcast Xfinity:

“We’re hopeful to come to an agreement with these cable providers that aren’t carrying the network, and that’s anytime between now through the end of the year,” Phillips said in a Wednesday interview with the AJC at the ACC Kickoff media event.

With the ACC Network's footprint, this could potentially level the playing field when it comes to TV revenue.
We’ve had two seasons already without a Comcast deal. Sounds like a third is inevitable. Total ööööing incompetence.

Let's see, who we got in the SEC? LSU, Bama, UGA, UF? Texas A&M on the verge. Add OK to the mix. At least it is interesting from a fan perspective although it is starting to look like the Death Star conference, destroyer of all others. You think ESPN will throw a bone to the other conferences on Game Day?

I hope they stay at 16. Move Auburn and Bama to the East. UGA, this is what you voted for. But then again, with the playoff expanded to 12 teams you'll probably get an SEC team in with two or three losses.

Let's see, who we got in the SEC? LSU, Bama, UGA, UF? Texas A&M on the verge. Add OK to the mix. At least it is interesting from a fan perspective although it is starting to look like the Death Star conference, destroyer of all others. You think ESPN will throw a bone to the other conferences on Game Day?

I hope they stay at 16. Move Auburn and Bama to the East. UGA, this is what you voted for. But then again, with the playoff expanded to 12 teams you'll probably get an SEC team in with two or three losses.

They’ll be in a league of their own… especially when Ohio State spanks them anyway.

1627248061180.jpeg

You forget the trans-conference rivalries which will almost have to bite the dust. I see no way that Tech-GA, or FL- FSU, or Clemson-USCe can continue, at least not like they exist now. They certainly would no longer be last game of the season rivalries, because there would be more important cross-pod games to be played.

You forget the trans-conference rivalries which will almost have to bite the dust. I see no way that Tech-GA, or FL- FSU, or Clemson-USCe can continue, at least not like they exist now. They certainly would no longer be last game of the season rivalries, because there would be more important cross-pod games to be played.

I didn't forget them. That's why I mentioned Oklahoma and Okie State. They're not going anywhere. The same arguments could have been made before. What you suggest is possible but certainly nowhere close to being certain at all.

Back