Here we go again. Conference expansion

If teams leave the conferences can the networks (ESPN) void the existing rights deals? Can ND join a conference without voiding their separtate TV deal?

Texas and Oklahoma obviously have to play the 2021 season. They could be stuck for 2022 as well. It’d be a surprise around the industry if they’re in the Big 12 for the final two years of the league's current TV contract, which expires after the 2024 season, but they’ll still have to pay a significant amount to get out. Texas and Oklahoma are saying the right things. The Big 12 is entrenched. Certainly, the lawyers are drooling at the billable hours to unwind it all.

The good news for the Big 12, in a perverse way, is that none of the eight remaining schools in the conference have the market or the cache to emerge as transformative additions for the ACC, Pac-12 or Big Ten.

I don’t understand the point of a 20 team conference

Seems it may be just as likely the SEC called around to see what package deals were options before Texas and Oklahoma became the deal. Michigan and Ohio State as well as Clemson and FSU give me the impression they were looking for a clean way to add +2

If they created a 20 team mega conference, but allowed for promotion and relegation from other conferences, I could get behind that.

I still don't get why the SEC, or the super conference, would want to add FSU and Clemson. I get they are very good football programs; but neither brings much in the way of market and both could be made irrelevant as the rest of ACC. Ohio State and Michigan, unless they bring someone else from the B1G with them like Wisconsin and PSU, will find themselves as the outsiders in the super conference.

I guess it all really depends on the sec's endgame, but adding Clemson doesn't seem like it would add anything to the sec longterm.

In the current playoff setup, Clemson would fall back down to earth quickly if they joined the 20 team sec, and would likely just be another 8-9 win team leeching money.

The only way any of that makes sense is if the sec, as was said earlier, wants to become uber d1a, and relegate every other school/conf. They'd need to add west coast teams too to do that and it'd be more like a 32 team conference, much like the pro leagues

Honestly, it seems like unc would be the top acc target for any other conference, id guess they've gotten calls and NC politics is preventing them from jumping ship

So if the ACC somehow lands ND and PSU then I suppose that doesn't change anything. Even if the SEC gets neither Texas or Oklahoma.

See, that's part of the problem. You are assuming the SEC will win and the ACC will lose.
They’ve already won. They have highly ranked teams every year. LSU and Bama have won the last 2 titles. All the ACC has is Clemson. The ACC is a mess because we have one real team and a bunch of mediocrity. I’m rooting for the ACC but I’m not blind.

Last edited:
Some of the folks on this board remind me of
1627172041003.gif

Auburn, Alabama, Florida and maybe Tennessee are more popular in our own state than Tech. I wonder if Clemson is all like guys we gotta get FSU and Tech on our side and make a pitch to the SEC. Highly unlikely. I love GT and want to see GT succeed but I'm not blind. ACC already plays second fiddle to the SEC. With NIL you are going to see an even larger gap.

It looks like the SEC is poised to make bank no matter if we nor the rest of the country is on board. The SEC is the one driving the bus.

We are already the little brother. Some of y’all are delusional. As much as I love GT we are the 2nd team in the state on the football field and members of a 2nd rate conference run by the Carolina mafia. GT has made poor decisions for decades regarding football.

Pretty sure that joke went right over your head. But at least it gave you the opportunity to claim the mantle of clear-eyed realist and give us the clarity of how horrible Tech is.

But it was a break from qanon style conspiracy theories about how the ACC is doomed so I guess there's that.

We are already the little brother. Some of y’all are delusional. As much as I love GT we are the 2nd team in the state on the football field and members of a 2nd rate conference run by the Carolina mafia. GT has made poor decisions for decades regarding football.

I think what I wrote probably aligns to how you already feel. I’m not sure how it is delusional

The reasonable number of games per year is going to be a limiting factor to this. Now the most you play is 14. Say you go to a 4 pod 16 team conference. How do you have a championship game? The highest ranked 2 pod champs play? The real outcome of this will be bigger time schools (revenue) will cluster into x conferences (8 x 14 teams with 8 or 12 team playoff, or 6 x 16 teams with 12 team playoff as proposed). The teams that don't sign up to these conferences will become part of "whats left", FCS.

Auburn, Alabama, Florida and maybe Tennessee are more popular in our own state than Tech. I wonder if Clemson is all like guys we gotta get FSU and Tech on our side and make a pitch to the SEC. Highly unlikely. I love GT and want to see GT succeed but I'm not blind. ACC already plays second fiddle to the SEC. With NIL you are going to see an even larger gap.

It looks like the SEC is poised to make bank no matter if we nor the rest of the country is on board. The SEC is the one driving the bus.
Clemson may reach out with FSU, but I doubt GT.

Seems it may be just as likely the SEC called around to see what package deals were options before Texas and Oklahoma became the deal. Michigan and Ohio State as well as Clemson and FSU give me the impression they were looking for a clean way to add +2

Who is Jack McGuire? I have never heard of him. Pretty amazing that he hasn't been wrong since 2019 and is still wasting his time on college sports. He should be working the stock market.

And you'd think UGAg would want GT in the SEC. Their fanbase is mostly metro Atlanta and they beat us 80% of the time. Play us every season and you have a short drive to Atlanta or a home game in Athens. Under realignment, I just don't see how UGAg keeps us on the schedule. Unlike VT and UVA, our state legislature definitely does NOT have GT's back on this. I bet a good 70% of our legislature would gleefully watch Tech football fold. 20% would fight for GT. 10% would be ignorant of all things about college football

And you'd think UGAg would want GT in the SEC. Their fanbase is mostly metro Atlanta and they beat us 80% of the time. Play us every season and you have a short drive to Atlanta or a home game in Athens. Under realignment, I just don't see how UGAg keeps us on the schedule. Unlike VT and UVA, our state legislature definitely does NOT have GT's back on this. I bet a good 70% of our legislature would gleefully watch Tech football fold. 20% would fight for GT. 10% would be ignorant of all things about college football

Tech football isn't going to "fold." Even if we aren't invited to the NFL d-league/BigSEC.

Back