Here we go again. Conference expansion

GT will be fine in this realignment. We are a “cool” program right now that is on the rise, and we are located in ATL which is the home of college football. Throw in a history of 4 NC’s and what we bring to the table in other sports/academics, and we make a much more attractive addition than most schools outside the SEC (behind ND, OSU, Michigan, PSU, and maybe a few others).

The real question to me is whether the ACC expands or crumbles. Should be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
ACC may be screwed for a while waiting on ND
>from Barrett Sallee at CBS
assuming that the Big 12 collapses.
Baylor: AAC
Iowa State: Big Ten
Kansas: Big Ten
Kansas State: MWC
Oklahoma State: Pac-12
TCU: Pac-12
Texas Tech: AAC
West Virginia: ACC

We will see, but I think most of the ACC+BIG+PAC projections are unlikely for the same reason Texas and Oklahoma are leaving: These teams don't move the bottom line by much.

One thing I do not understand is the TV contract. If Texas and Oklahoma leave, doesn't that effect the TV contract that extends to 2025? Certainly the TV's would have some outs to a league TV contract for reasons such as losing members. Wouldn't they?

We will see, but I think most of the ACC+BIG+PAC projections are unlikely for the same reason Texas and Oklahoma are leaving: These teams don't move the bottom line by much.

If they did, there was absolutely nothing stopping these moves from already being made. The Big Ten needs Kansas and Iowa State as much as the SEC needs Southern Miss and UAB. Same for all these other retarded additions for the ACC.

Last edited:
Upon further reflection ... best case scenario is the SEC recreating the Southern Conference to lock the B1G into a declining demographic footprint, get monopoly ad rates and saturation of all of CFB's biggest markets and recruiting turf, and lock the B1G into a distant second status in revenue ... even if they get ND.

Oklahoma Texas TAMU Missouri Arkansas LSU
Ole Miss MSU Alabama Auburn Vanderbilt Tennessee
Florida FSU Georgia GT USC-e Clemson
NCST UNC Virginia VT Kentucky Louisville

Worst is a deep dark rabbit hole I'd prefer not to get dwell on.

One thing I do not understand is the TV contract. If Texas and Oklahoma leave, doesn't that effect the TV contract that extends to 2025? Certainly the TV's would have some outs to a league TV contract for reasons such as losing members. Wouldn't they?
Yeah, they probably can't leave before 2025 without surrendering their rights, or at least a significant portion.

The ACC, if it wants to stay together, must add someone now, as this is the look in period for our Media deal. If the ACC stands pat and doesn't take advantage of the re-negotiation of our revenue and we continue to 2036 with the same crappy $$, someone more valuable than us is going to leave for the money and we will be screwed.

I think it is more important for the ACC to be able to negotiate with ESPN to bring our deal up to market value than it is in bringing in a team that pulls in mega bucks. I don't believe this negotiation can happen without the addition of a team. ESPN is not contractually liable for any more money that they are paying us now, unless the conference expands. If the ACC does not find a solution to the money now, we will dissolve, just like the Big 12 in a matter of years. I'm willing to bet on that!

Why do other conferences have to add someone now? I’d rather be strategic. This notion that all of college football is on the verge of collapse seems kind of crazy. The Big 12 definitely just took a monster hit but everyone else is still intact.

I don’t understand the point of a 20 team conference

It would pretty much play out like separate conferences. The real goal is to kill off the lesser teams in FBS. The 20 team super conference will decide the national title, about like the NFL. Those on the outside will be relegated to playing an FCS type schedule.

I suspect if we aren't invited to the party, UGAg drops us from their schedule faster than a drunk prom date's panties and no more Clemson and definitely no more FSU.

We will get a whole bunch of Duke, Wake, and even the Navy that one of the posters in the thread seeks to be in a conference with.

It would pretty much play out like separate conferences. The real goal is to kill off the lesser teams in FBS. The 20 team super conference will decide the national title, about like the NFL. Those on the outside will be relegated to playing an FCS type schedule.

I suspect if we aren't invited to the party, UGAg drops us from their schedule faster than a drunk prom date's panties and no more Clemson and definitely no more FSU.

We will get a whole bunch of Duke, Wake, and even the Navy that one of the posters in the thread seeks to be in a conference with.
Nightmare fuel.

I don’t understand the point of a 20 team conference

the folks who are nervous should be the vandy, miss st, old Mississippi, Missouri types who are going to be the splotches on the bottom of the shoes, heck, a program that hasn't one a national title in 40 years may be asked to leave the room, wouldn't that be a hoot?

Well, our schedule would still have our rival VPI.... But I agree with your point. Recruiting would take a dip no matter how much Waffle House we serve at practice. If we ever did get a top player they can portal to the Super Conference once they prove themselves. Basically those not in the super conference become the new FCS. I wonder how long the Super Conference hangs on to Tennessee, Vandy, and the Mississippi schools before cutting them to make room for more market worthy schools like USC-w and PSU? The slate of teams now showing basically neglects the northeast and west coast markets.

Back