Here we go again. Conference expansion

You think we are already left out?
I think there is a good chance we will be if our AD isn’t setting up a package deal with at least FSU and Clemson. If those two schools leave the ACC without us we are screwed to the equivalent of AAC or Conference USA level.

Its all about the TV $$.
Texas is a super-power with the Longhorn Network....which ESPN owns and will merge with its SEC Network or create SEC2. Oklahoma has a huge following in Football.

Clemson, GT, FSU and Miami add nothing to the SEC Network's footprint.
Notre Dame would be huge for the ACC's football stature. Let them decide who the 16th team would be. I would guess they would select between:
- Navy (play them every year)
- Penn State (doubt they would leave the B1G)
- Cincinnati (for geographic reasons)
- USC (play them every year....huge addition to ACC Network footprint....and they are on a Coast)
- WVU (academic reputation is a problem)

Its all about the TV $$.
Texas is a super-power with the Longhorn Network....which ESPN owns and will merge with its SEC Network or create SEC2. Oklahoma has a huge following in Football.

Notre Dame would be huge for the ACC's football stature. Let them decide who the 16th team would be. I would guess they would select between:
- USC (play them every year....huge addition to ACC Network footprint....and they are on a Coast)
I don’t think the sec footprint matters all that much anymore. It’s all about matchups for them now. They would get far more interest out of conference games involving Clemson and FSU than they would UVa or even unc. We just need to hitch our wagon to that.

Its all about the TV $$.

Please stop with Navy, Cincinnati, and WVU. Nobody wants those schools. Absolutely nobody sees Navy as anything other than an OOC school you schedule to get a win. They can't even beat Army nowadays

Please stop with Navy, Cincinnati, and WVU. Nobody wants those schools. Absolutely nobody sees Navy as anything other than an OOC school you schedule to get a win. They can't even beat Army nowadays
It’s like people pine for an AAC or Conference USA schedule.

This is true. Atlanta is much more valuable to B1G than it is to sec (which already has it). We are also AAU which is a big deal for B1G. I think us getting in SEC is more of a function of the SEC wanting to keep the B1G out of the Deep South.
Yep. Having Ohio State showing up at BDS or MBS on a big football Saturday to play GT is worth something. We just need to get past our old 3-O reputation, which folks associate with Navy and Georgia Southern, and start getting big time recruits and play boy football

Almost all these expansion scenarios that don't involve Texas and OU and ND are dumb and add absolutely nothing and will take more than they give. The conversation here is pretty pointless with the consensus that oh noes the sky is falling....because the far-and-away strongest conference before this expansion is now.... the far-and-away strongest conference still.

Almost all these expansion scenarios that don't involve Texas and OU and ND are dumb and add absolutely nothing and will take more than they give. The conversation here is pretty pointless with the consensus that oh noes the sky is falling....because the far-and-away strongest conference before this expansion is now.... the far-and-away strongest conference still.
Yes, they are. However, it isn't like Alabama couldn't have scheduled to play Texas OOC anyway. All this is is a cash grab, which will work. I expect soon for players, despite the new rules allowing them to make money on their own likeness, to say "Ok, about this new multi billion dollar contract, SEC, our cut?"

Yes, they are. However, it isn't like Alabama couldn't have scheduled to play Texas OOC anyway. All this is is a cash grab, which will work. I expect soon for players, despite the new rules allowing them to make money on their own likeness, to say "Ok, about this new multi billion dollar contract, SEC, our cut?"
And if they can get it, all it means is the death of college football.

It’s more than a cash grab. It’s also seeking the destruction of everything else. The sec is absolutely looking to destabilize other conferences with this move. They want to set the rules for college football and set the invite list. The ones not invited are relegated to lower level play.

Lol. "it's nothing but a cynical cash grab!!!"

It's a mutually beneficial symbiosis. It's in territory that is either within or contiguous to the SEC geographic footprint. Logistically with the right management it will do little to almost every traditional rivalry within the SEC, and even reintroduces others that were dormant.or on hiatus.

It destabilizes no one except the rest of the Big 12, which was already destabilized and doing their best impersonation of a dead man walking.

I don’t know, I don’t think Notre Dame joins a conference any time soon but what do I know.

Instead of trying to get all these schools to the ACC I would rather we go to the BIG. Clemson can go wherever they want and I wonder if the BIG would take them academically. If we could get GT, UNC, UVA, and ND into the BIG that would be a great move. The ACC would die of course, but it is what it is. Just make sure you’re not the last school on the ship when it sinks!
I wanted us in the B1G during the first shuffle. Even e-mailed Peterson about it. Peterson said he couldn’t imagine our alums making trips to road games in Bloomington, IN (specifically). I was thinking…do we make trips to away games now?

I worry equally. Our saving grace is Atlanta. Let’s hope it’s worth it.
But the SEC already has the ATL in the palm of it's hand without Tech. If ACC folds it will be the end unless Tech gets into the B1G. Both options suck. Do Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers even exist except on a football scores scroll by on TV?

Back