Here we go again. Conference expansion

If this is the logic then I am on board. It’s just acting like we don’t care isn’t very valuable. Do we care about other things more? That’s fine to argue for.

VT joined the ACC less than 20 years ago about midway through Chan Gailey's tenure. I can see where the younger fans see VT as a rivalry; but the old farts could easily go back to not playing them again. That's not intended as a slight against fans who don't remember the George O'leary or Bill Curry years; but just pointing out different perspective even among true GT fans.

If this is the logic then I am on board. It’s just acting like we don’t care isn’t very valuable. Do we care about other things more? That’s fine to argue for.
There is no acting, I don't care about VT, UM, or any of the other added teams. I have a soft spot for Louisville, but that's only because I'm an alum, but I really don't care about them all that much because I don't like the way they run their program.

If we could some how end up in the SEC with Clemson and the more notable teams in the ACC I'd be all for it. Having SEC teams in BDS every home game would do wonders for attendance and I'd actually be in an ear shot of conference foes fans.

I see it as ND & PSU or bust. Would PSU leave? The ACC is an ESPN backed entity with an ESPN backed ACC network that's on the rise. ESPN gets ND and PSU into the conference, ACCN becomes an easier sell to cable carriers, it hurts a competitor, and the matchups are compelling for a multitude of reasons beyond just fanbase sizes. I don't know how involved ESPN gets in these things unofficially, so who knows.

If the ACC adds any of these metro schools and the SEC isn't an option for GT, we'd be better off having all the southern schools break off of the ACC and form a new 9 conference league with: GT, FSU, UM, Clem, NCST, UNC, UVA, VT, and Duke. All of those schools stand a better chance of getting a higher $/school payout not having to carry some of the non-football schools already in the conference. And really öööö Duke, but I can't see UNC leaving both Duke and Wake behind, otherwise they'd just go to the SEC or B10.

Last edited:
There’s some chatter on Clemson boards about them going it alone to SEC

TAMU has no interest in joining the ACC. They would go back to the Big XII before they would do that IMO.

I just don't get the point any longer. You added Texas and Oklahoma, so what? It isn't like UGAg couldn't have scheduled them anyway just as much as they are going to play them now. UGAg already manages to avoid Alabama most years, this just helps them avoid Alabama even more. Add Texas and Oklahoma all you want, Alabama is still in a class of college football all by themselves.
I imagine a school with the power of Ohio State is going to demand the Big 10 respond somehow. Could we see a breakup of the Big 10 and ACC and a total realignment of east coast football? Maybe. Could there be an east coast/west coast partnership? Possibly. Could schools like Wake and Duke be in trouble and hung out to dry when football realignment is over? Possibly.
The ACC, Big10, and Pac12 could respond. Dump the dead weight.
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Have power that no team in the ACC has, including Clemson. If the Big10 teams call on Clemson, ND, FSU, Miami and hopefully GT to answer, it will happen. No doubt. Duke, Wake, Syracuse, BC offer nothing to a football league. VT is sinking fast. UVA generally treats football as an afterthought. UNC would consider moving provided they somehow were put in charge of the entire league because somehow UNC folks think that way.

Anyway, to repeat my point, if Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan decide changes need to be made, they will be made. If ND joins them, it absolutely happens. I think we would be included because we are blessed with being in Atlanta. Same for Miami having a desirable location, despite Miami really needing an on campus, or at least near campus stadium. FSU would be in. You bring Clemson in because they are a better brand than USuCk and pokes a bit at the SEC.
Of course, Clemson fans have this SEC envy thing going on right now where they feel like they are an SEC team. I bet the addition of Oklahoma and Texas is just killing Clemson fans, but they have to understand that both Texas and Oklahoma are national brands, Clemson is not.

TAMU has no interest in joining the ACC. They would go back to the Big XII before they would do that IMO.
Zed is ded. The Big 12 is ded. There will be nothing to go back to. Leaving to make tens of millions of dollars less per year in revenue because you have chosen to play Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor every season over LSU, Alabama, and Auburn is a no go.

Here is what I expect to happen
1) Texas and Oklahoma go to SEC -the train has left the station and it can't be stopped
2) Iowa St and Kansas bolt to the BIG Integer - that gives the Big Integer 16 teams. Big Integer drags their feet on this but ultimately decide getting to 16 teams is a smart move.
3) The 6 remaining Big 12 - TCU Baylor Texas Tech Kansas St Oklahoma St West Virginia are in a lurch and either have to reform via adding UCF Memphis Cincinnati SMU Tulane and USF or go to PAC12. West Virginia lobbies ACC hard - Some incentive for ACC to add them so if can get Notre Dame, will have 16 teams. Other 5 decide to take PAC12 up and join.
4) ACC ultimately takes West Virginia although not without consternation. Notre Dame for now remains an indepedent,
5) PAC12 tries to get BYU so have 18 teams and if they will not play then ultimately adds SMU.

I just don't get the point any longer. You added Texas and Oklahoma, so what? It isn't like UGAg couldn't have scheduled them anyway just as much as they are going to play them now. UGAg already manages to avoid Alabama most years, this just helps them avoid Alabama even more. Add Texas and Oklahoma all you want, Alabama is still in a class of college football all by themselves.
I imagine a school with the power of Ohio State is going to demand the Big 10 respond somehow. Could we see a breakup of the Big 10 and ACC and a total realignment of east coast football? Maybe. Could there be an east coast/west coast partnership? Possibly. Could schools like Wake and Duke be in trouble and hung out to dry when football realignment is over? Possibly.
The ACC, Big10, and Pac12 could respond. Dump the dead weight.
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Have power that no team in the ACC has, including Clemson. If the Big10 teams call on Clemson, ND, FSU, Miami and hopefully GT to answer, it will happen. No doubt. Duke, Wake, Syracuse, BC offer nothing to a football league. VT is sinking fast. UVA generally treats football as an afterthought. UNC would consider moving provided they somehow were put in charge of the entire league because somehow UNC folks think that way.

Anyway, to repeat my point, if Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan decide changes need to be made, they will be made. If ND joins them, it absolutely happens. I think we would be included because we are blessed with being in Atlanta. Same for Miami having a desirable location, despite Miami really needing an on campus, or at least near campus stadium. FSU would be in. You bring Clemson in because they are a better brand than USuCk and pokes a bit at the SEC.
Of course, Clemson fans have this SEC envy thing going on right now where they feel like they are an SEC team. I bet the addition of Oklahoma and Texas is just killing Clemson fans, but they have to understand that both Texas and Oklahoma are national brands, Clemson is not.
This will be the most important days of tech football since 1964.

Here is what I expect to happen
1) Texas and Oklahoma go to SEC -the train has left the station and it can't be stopped
2) Iowa St and Kansas bolt to the BIG Integer - that gives the Big Integer 16 teams. Big Integer drags their feet on this but ultimately decide getting to 16 teams is a smart move.
3) The 6 remaining Big 12 - TCU Baylor Texas Tech Kansas St Oklahoma St West Virginia are in a lurch and either have to reform via adding UCF Memphis Cincinnati SMU Tulane and USF or go to PAC12. West Virginia lobbies ACC hard - Some incentive for ACC to add them so if can get Notre Dame, will have 16 teams. Other 5 decide to take PAC12 up and join.
4) ACC ultimately takes West Virginia although not without consternation. Notre Dame for now remains an indepedent,
5) PAC12 tries to get BYU so have 18 teams and if they will not play then ultimately adds SMU.
I say it is more likely Ohio State blows everything up and takes Michigan, Penn State, FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, Iowa, Nebraska, UNC, ND, Michigan State with them. Possibly add in Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech. Get 16 of the biggest draws we can.

I say it is more likely Ohio State blows everything up and takes Michigan, Penn State, FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, Iowa, Nebraska, UNC, ND, Michigan State with them. Possibly add in Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech. Get 16 of the biggest draws we can.
I honestly don’t care as long as GT doesn’t get left out of the change. I can see us getting stabbed in the back

I honestly don’t care as long as GT doesn’t get left out of the change. I can see us getting stabbed in the back
It will be this. For the B1G it may simply be a matter of geography. For the SEC it will be the assholes in Athens looking to secure our demise.

Back