Here we go again. Conference expansion

Better move for the sec is to be ‘the conference’ and drive the other schools in their footprint into oblivion. They don’t really need us, clemson, or fsu. uNC and one of the Va schools would add value.

We definitely need to stick together with Clemson, FSU, and Miami. That is a nice block for any conference.
The value to the SEC in my idea is (1) it brings some big games in as conference games (games which will probably be lost to expansion otherwise) and (2) it keeps the B1G from a southern foothold. There is no way the SEC wants GT, FSU and Clemson playing a B1G schedule in right in SEC heartland.

Talked with a good friend in Norman today who said OU folks see this as a done deal. He said other than Aggies being livid, OU and Texas folks are delighted.

If this goes down and the SEC makes it to 16 I would hate the pods idea unless one pod is UGA, Bama, Auburn and the Gators. That would put the Vols with USC-E, Vandy and UK.

The better idea would be open scheduling. Each team schedules the ten conference games they choose. Make a rule that you have to schedule everyone for a home and home at least every six years. Your championship game would be between the highest ranked teams.

For this to maximize revenue over the long haul, you need Bama playing Texas and Oklahoma along with the old rivals regularly. With 10 conference games and open scheduling the product they could put on TV would be incredible all season long.

If it happens, look for Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State to look to the PAC 12 and that league grows to 16. ACC and Big fight for ND and can grab the Kansas schools, Iowa State, WVU. I would predict they would go the Big. We would then hopefully get ND and pick another school or two, likely UCF and Cincinnati. The P5 would become the P4.

The value to the SEC in my idea is (1) it brings some big games in as conference games (games which will probably be lost to expansion otherwise) and (2) it keeps the B1G from a southern foothold. There is no way the SEC wants GT, FSU and Clemson playing a B1G schedule in right in SEC heartland.

I agree. Maybe a true wildcard is that both SEC and B1G expand to 20. 2 Divisions of 10 with a 9 game conference schedule on both sides. If the B1G takes 6 ACC Teams and the SEC takes 4 from the ACC, those 10 votes could dissolve the ACC and no penalties would be imposed. We'd have 2 super conferences tying up essentially the whole east coast. Fun to speculate on these outcomes, as long as Tech falls on the correct side of the argument!

The mutts will manage to only have to play Texas and Oklahoma once every decade or so. Great to have such a large league, but it isn't like they will be round robin each year.

Interesting that today it came out that Texas and Oklahoma have been meeting with the SEC for over 6 months. Ties right in with the CFP expanding to 12 teams. SEC knew they couldn't accommodate additional teams without getting the playoff field expanded so that it was easier to get multiple teams into the playoff with one conference. What did they do......they got the playoff expanded and now they come out with this. I would say that is a good case of negotiating in bad faith or a brilliant move depending on how you view those things.

If you are doing pods, I would think:

Western Pod - Tx, OU, Ark, Mizzou
River Pod - TAM, LSU, MSU, Ole Miss
Tide Pod - Vandy, UT, Bama, Auburn
Gay Pod - UF, uGa, SC, KY

That puts 2 good teams in each pod.

Here is what I would be doing right now as Tech’s AD:
I’d be on the phone with Clemson and FSU about a package deal move from ACC with one other of UNC, UVa, or VT depending on which of those delivers the most lucrative new market to the SEC footprint. If we team up with FSU and Clemson, then that screws all 3 of the sec “gentleman’s agreement” schools which is likely to get other schools to buy in on a yes vote. A&M is pissed and would be a yes vote for spite now. That delivers 4 solid schools with some natural rivalries to SEC and gets them to an even 20 for two 10 team divisions. It also get them into either Virginia or NC market.

Approach B1G at same time with package deal. It is a big move for them to add strong southern territory and get into the SEC recruiting area.
I thought UVa and VT were a package deal due to Virginia politics. Has that changed?

If this happens then whoever pulled this off from the sec is insanely gifted at their craft
The SEC is just run by smarter people. The ACC has been run by dopes for years. I’m not talking book smarts either. I’m talking about guys who are smart enough to know when in a battle to bring bigger guns. No one else even knew they were in a battle. The SEC simply knows the world and success depend on one thing - money.

Not sure I understand why Penn St. would move to the ACC.
They will never put the mutts and Bama in the same pod
The SEC commissioner can only give one blowjob at a time so I suspect this will be the case for the indefinite future.

Not sure I understand why Penn St. would move to the ACC.

The SEC commissioner can only give one blowjob at a time so I suspect this will be the case for the indefinite future.
Penn State has apparently always viewed itself as an east coast school and many of its rivals are in the ACC. Before Rutgers and MD were added to B1G, PSU was an outpost geographically.

The SEC is just run by smarter people. The ACC has been run by dopes for years. I’m not talking book smarts either. I’m talking about guys who are smart enough to know when in a battle to bring bigger guns. No one else even knew they were in a battle. The SEC simply knows the world and success depend on one thing - money.
If by smarter you mean less scrupulous then no doubt about it. But you will forgive me if I do not join you in your blind admiration of the SEC. Clemson has done pretty well for themselves as a member of the ACC but the SEC is smart while the ACC is just lucky, I guess.

Penn State has apparently always viewed itself as an east coast school and many of its rivals are in the ACC. Before Rutgers and MD were added to B1G, PSU was an outpost geographically.
Don't get me wrong, I would consider PSU a fine addition to the ACC. But I was not aware that PSU would even entertain such a notion. If the ACC can add ND and PSU, I think that punches a pretty good size hole in the B1G.

Perhaps adding the B1G guy as the new ACC commissioner was a wiser move than I at first thought.

Don't get me wrong, I would consider PSU a fine addition to the ACC. But I was not aware that PSU would even entertain such a notion. If the ACC can add ND and PSU, I think that punches a pretty good size hole in the B1G.

Perhaps adding the B1G guy as the new ACC commissioner was a wiser move than I at first thought.

Adding ND and PSU would be the only thing that I'd like out of expansion. I'll take that or our snowballs chance in hell of getting back in the SEC.

Back