Here we go again. Conference expansion

ND and Penn State would be an amazing response. That should obviously be first choice.

I’m ok with Tulane for the New Orleans road trips and pushing the TV market to Lousiana and maybe Houston.

UCF should be used as an emergency option only. They don’t bring much prestige or tv money but would have decent road trips.

Cincinatti and West Virginia are terrible options.
TULANE???

Assuming UT and OU join the SEC. The SEC's next play should be to not schedule any future regular season games with the other P5 conferences (including state rivalries) and then tell the rest of the college football world to proceed with the playoff system; and whoever wins your playoff can play the SEC champion for the National Championship. The SEC will be the super conference and the other P5 conferences will be vying for the opportunity to play against it. There will be too many SEC teams in the super conference to warrant scheduling outsiders (that could upset them thus tarnishing the mystique).

I don’t know, I don’t think Notre Dame joins a conference any time soon but what do I know.

Instead of trying to get all these schools to the ACC I would rather we go to the BIG. Clemson can go wherever they want and I wonder if the BIG would take them academically. If we could get GT, UNC, UVA, and ND into the BIG that would be a great move. The ACC would die of course, but it is what it is. Just make sure you’re not the last school on the ship when it sinks!

As someone who grew up in the midwest, I love this idea.

I can't imagine the ugag would be fans of getting bama moved into their division

Probably better to take the regular season L and hope LSU knocks off Bama in the seccg. Backdoor into the playoffs.

I don’t know, I don’t think Notre Dame joins a conference any time soon but what do I know.

Instead of trying to get all these schools to the ACC I would rather we go to the BIG. Clemson can go wherever they want and I wonder if the BIG would take them academically. If we could get GT, UNC, UVA, and ND into the BIG that would be a great move. The ACC would die of course, but it is what it is. Just make sure you’re not the last school on the ship when it sinks!

I said 8 years ago during the last chaos in re-alignment that the B1G should take UVA, UNC, GT and FSU. That would cut right through the SEC map and all the states are contiguous with the current B1G footprint. 3 out of 4 of them are AAU as well. Would be an amazing move by B1G IMHO.

If the ACC added a Texas school, which one other than Texas or A&M is the best fit? My priority list in order would be Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston, Rice. All of these schools have advantages and disadvantages. However, they all open up the Texas TV and recruiting markets.

We have made in-roads in Texas recruiting with Coach Choice. Hopefully we could build on that trend.

If we can't get ND and PSU, which I realize is highly unlikely, I'd rather not add anybody. In order of preference:

1. Somehow finagle an invite to the SEC. Again, highly unlikely. Football would be brutal, but I think it would make us raise our level. Most of our traditional rivals are here and fan interest would go through the roof.

2. Expand with ND and PSU. This should help greatly at the media rights negotiating table and gives a nice boost to our prestige and the level of competition.

3. Stay in an ACC that doesn't lose any members, especially those that I care about playing (Clemson and FSU mostly).

4. Go to the B1G. More money and stability, but I can't really get excited about playing about half of the teams in the conference.

If we can't get ND and PSU, which I realize is highly unlikely, I'd rather not add anybody. In order of preference:

1. Somehow finagle an invite to the SEC. Again, highly unlikely. Football would be brutal, but I think it would make us raise our level. Most of our traditional rivals are here and fan interest would go through the roof.

2. Expand with ND and PSU. This should help greatly at the media rights negotiating table and gives a nice boost to our prestige and the level of competition.

3. Stay in an ACC that doesn't lose any members, especially those that I care about playing (Clemson and FSU mostly).

4. Go to the B1G. More money and stability, but I can't really get excited about playing about half of the teams in the conference.

The ACC needs to make a power move right now. Adding nobody will stagnate our TV revenue, which will cause others to leave the ACC as the disparity is getting bigger! I never thought about stealing the PAC schools as mentioned above, but if ESPN will open the purse strings and renegotiate our contract with those west coast heavy hitters, it may be the best play to protect Tech in the long run of this arms race war.

The ACC needs to make a power move right now. Adding nobody will stagnate our TV revenue, which will cause others to leave the ACC as the disparity is getting bigger! I never thought about stealing the PAC schools as mentioned above, but if ESPN will open the purse strings and renegotiate our contract with those west coast heavy hitters, it may be the best play to protect Tech in the long run of this arms race war.

I agree that a power move is much better than staying pat. I don't know who you have in mind, but I don't think that WVU, Cincinnati, or a directional school fits that definition.

I said 8 years ago during the last chaos in re-alignment that the B1G should take UVA, UNC, GT and FSU. That would cut right through the SEC map and all the states are contiguous with the current B1G footprint. 3 out of 4 of them are AAU as well. Would be an amazing move by B1G IMHO.
The B1G offered in 2012 and GT turned it down.

The B1G offered in 2012 and GT turned it down.

I heard that as well, but times have changed and the long term ACC contract is going to be the death of this conference - as other conferences are increasing on each short term renewal. We are no OU or UT and will need to find security before FSU, Clemson and UNC decide to chase the dollar first and we end up in the same desperate situation TT, OSU and Kansas State are all staring in the eyes right now.

Back