Here we go again. Conference expansion

Aren’t we dicked over by the previous negotiated TV contract for a long time

I really just want to see Bill Walton smoked down calling ACC bball games

We are no OU or UT and will need to find security before FSU, Clemson and UNC decide to chase the dollar first and we end up in the same desperate situation TT, OSU and Kansas State are all staring in the eyes right now.

In what world is UNC in the same category as Clemson and FSU? Hell, FSU is barely in that category anymore.

JRjr

Well maybe the B1G will raid the ACC and we'll get caught up in it. That may be one way to get ourselves separated from WF and Duke. SEC door could open again as well, if they are running over A&M and their protests; why not run over UGA, USC, & UF as well and pick up GT, FSU, & Clemson.

In what world is UNC in the same category as Clemson and FSU? Hell, FSU is barely in that category anymore.

JRjr

When I went to Tech in the 90's, we were probably evenly matched with Clemson. They have only become a powerhouse in the last decade. Their following along with FSU and UNC's is much larger than ours. FSU is recruiting well again and with a decent coach, they will be back to form.

Texas hasn't done anything in forever either. It is all about the amount of rabid fans and national presence to attract eyeballs that drives this move towards money. Unless you are lucky and are already sitting in the SEC or BIG, the smaller schools are in trouble if the revenues don't increase. We need to find a catalyst (expansion) to open negotiations on the ACC Media Contract or find a safe life boat to the BIG or SEC before our future will be decided for us, like the smaller schools in the Big 12 right now!

JRjr

Two important worlds:

1) Fanbase size
2) ESPN boner inducing

We should be very attractive to the B10 for two reasons academics and the Atlanta market incursion on the SEC.

What about a 32 team super conference with the PAC 12. We add two schools and PAC 12 adds 4. The super conference is divided into 8 pods (4 teams each) - by region. Our region could be with Clemson, FSU and the Miami. Play 10 conference games - 3 in you pod and 7 with other pods. Over 4 years you would play all the other schools.

For non revenue sports you would only play teams on your coast (to limit travel) and then have an East vs West championship game.

This conference would hold 50% of the power 5 schools/votes. The 12 team playoff format would need to be adjusted to like 4 conference champs and the rest at large.

What about a 32 team super conference with the PAC 12. We add two schools and PAC 12 adds 4. The super conference is divided into 8 pods (4 teams each) - by region. Our region could be with Clemson, FSU and the Miami. Play 10 conference games - 3 in you pod and 7 with other pods. Over 4 years you would play all the other schools.

For non revenue sports you would only play teams on your coast (to limit travel) and then have an East vs West championship game.

This conference would hold 50% of the power 5 schools/votes. The 12 team playoff format would need to be adjusted to like 4 conference champs and the rest at large.
what about it?

Here is what I would be doing right now as Tech’s AD:
I’d be on the phone with Clemson and FSU about a package deal move from ACC with one other of UNC, UVa, or VT depending on which of those delivers the most lucrative new market to the SEC footprint. If we team up with FSU and Clemson, then that screws all 3 of the sec “gentleman’s agreement” schools which is likely to get other schools to buy in on a yes vote. A&M is pissed and would be a yes vote for spite now. That delivers 4 solid schools with some natural rivalries to SEC and gets them to an even 20 for two 10 team divisions. It also get them into either Virginia or NC market.

Approach B1G at same time with package deal. It is a big move for them to add strong southern territory and get into the SEC recruiting area.

I’d be on the phone with Clemson and FSU about a package deal move from ACC with one other of UNC, UVa, or VT depending on which of those delivers the most lucrative new market to the SEC footprint. If we team up with FSU and Clemson, then that screws all 3 of the sec “gentleman’s agreement” schools which is likely to get other schools to buy in on a yes vote. A&M is pissed and would be a yes vote for spite now. That delivers 4 solid schools with some natural rivalries to SEC and gets them to an even 20 for two 10 team divisions. It also get them into either Virginia or NC market.

Approach B1G at same time with package deal. It is a big move for them to add strong southern territory and get into the SEC recruiting area.
I’m almost positive stansbury isn’t getting much sleep over the next few days-months. This is something that needs to be done before next year if not sooner.

The SEC wonder is over. The only question is what we do next.

Better move for the sec is to be ‘the conference’ and drive the other schools in their footprint into oblivion. They don’t really need us, clemson, or fsu. uNC and one of the Va schools would add value.

We definitely need to stick together with Clemson, FSU, and Miami. That is a nice block for any conference.

Better move for the sec is to be ‘the conference’ and drive the other schools in their footprint into oblivion. They don’t really need us, clemson, or fsu. uNC and one of the Va schools would add value.

We definitely need to stick together with Clemson, FSU, and Miami. That is a nice block for any conference.
The only question I have is why? As the veil of decency and amateurism Is pulled back is all they want blood and domination?

And I don’t see the pac partnering with anyone outside the B1g. But who knows, the B1g might consider themselves a balance to the sec. They could probably steal Mizzou and UVa.

Back