Here we go again. Conference expansion

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
If ND is forced to pick a conference, they will go B1g, even if they have to wait until ‘27. No one is leaving the B1g to join the ACC unless the financials change.

I think it would be more likely that ND and UVa join the B1g than ND and PSU joining the ACC.

Buffalobuzz

Varsity Lurker
If ND is forced to pick a conference, they will go B1g, even if they have to wait until ‘27. No one is leaving the B1g to join the ACC unless the financials change.

I think it would be more likely that ND and UVa join the B1g than ND and PSU joining the ACC.
ND would actually have to wait until 2035-2036 season per their contract with the ACC to make a move elsewhere without penalty. I do not believe there is a GOR in the B1G, so trying to pull Penn State would probably be based on their ability to have ESPN increase the ACC Payouts to a level of the current B1G or in the ballpark with the SEC. All of PSU's natural rivalries are already parked in the ACC. I could see ESPN really upping our contract if we had PSU and ND as Full members. They would also stick it to Fox by poaching one of their better schools.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC
The ACC should not dilute itself with UCF and Cincy. Either Notre Dame/PSU or just leave it be and carve up the money with less schools.

Honestly, I'm thankful the SEC is going for OU/UT instead of FSU/Clemson, because we'd otherwise find ourselves hoping for a Big XII option. At least we aren't one of them... talk about Metro Conference now....

05GTCorndog

Staff member
ND and Penn State would be an amazing response. That should obviously be first choice.

I’m ok with Tulane for the New Orleans road trips and pushing the TV market to Lousiana and maybe Houston.

UCF should be used as an emergency option only. They don’t bring much prestige or tv money but would have decent road trips.

Cincinatti and West Virginia are terrible options.
I'd love that too, but why would Ped State leave? That doesn't make any sense.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
The ACC should not dilute itself with UCF and Cincy. Either Notre Dame/PSU or just leave it be and carve up the money with less schools.

Honestly, I'm thankful the SEC is going for OU/UT instead of FSU/Clemson, because we'd otherwise find ourselves hoping for a Big XII option. At least we aren't one of them... talk about Metro Conference now....
FSU/Clemson add nothing to the SEC. Texas and Oklahoma are two schools that add enough value to make adding schools financially reasonable. It also helps ESPN who knows the Longhorn network didn’t live up to expectations.

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
Love the idea of Penn St. and Notre Dame as opposed to the other options, but wouldn't PSU take a pay cut? Isn't the B10 money better?

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Yea. Not sure why Penn St. would jump ship. Seems like they have a cushy deal; traditional rivals and a great path to success given the softness of the bottom 2/3 of that conference. Not sure what ACC offers.

codeblue

Varsity Lurker
Why doesn't ACC just join forces with the Big 10 and create a mega conference?

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Love the idea of Penn St. and Notre Dame as opposed to the other options, but wouldn't PSU take a pay cut? Isn't the B10 money better?
Currently, yes. Adding PSU/ND adds PSU/ND to an ACC north schedule. I don’t think espn is going to pay more for that the current PSU/OSU, PSU/UM, OSU/UM lineup. I can’t see espn upping the money enough to get PSU to leave.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
So if UT/OU move, does the SEC go east west with the Mississippi schools in the west?

ricejacket

Damn Good Rat
Wow, timing couldn't be worse for Kansas with their Athletics Department in a full scale tire fire

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Yea. Not sure why Penn St. would jump ship. Seems like they have a cushy deal; traditional rivals and a great path to success given the softness of the bottom 2/3 of that conference. Not sure what ACC offers.
I don't see Penn St. moving either. OTOH might could bring Maryland back (long shot; I don't think anything is off the board). The other long shot might be Nebraska, who I don't think is real happy about the conference switch they made; but to be honest they should be trying to get in on the deal with OU if at all possible.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
Notre Dame's hand is not forced, in fact their place in the playoff has been cemented in the expansion to 12. They are not joining any conference.

The only way ND's hand would be forced is if BIG and PAC12 stopped playing with them. I don't see that happening.
I may be understanding wrong, but I think ND can enter the actual playoffs at seed 5 at the best since they would not have a conference championship.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
I don’t know, I don’t think Notre Dame joins a conference any time soon but what do I know.

Instead of trying to get all these schools to the ACC I would rather we go to the BIG. Clemson can go wherever they want and I wonder if the BIG would take them academically. If we could get GT, UNC, UVA, and ND into the BIG that would be a great move. The ACC would die of course, but it is what it is. Just make sure you’re not the last school on the ship when it sinks!