Here we go again. Conference expansion

But the SEC already has the ATL in the palm of it's hand without Tech. If ACC folds it will be the end unless Tech gets into the B1G. Both options suck. Do Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers even exist except on a football scores scroll by on TV?
They have good basketball teams…

GT offers a lot to conferences. Good academics and good sports in a lot of different sports. I’d say UVA offers similar from the ACC. If we pit ourselves as a natural rival to Clemson we will be fine and land somewhere nice. I think it will be the Big Ten.

Last edited:
But the SEC already has the ATL in the palm of it's hand without Tech. If ACC folds it will be the end unless Tech gets into the B1G. Both options suck. Do Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers even exist except on a football scores scroll by on TV?
If we go B1G it will not be alone. There will be a southern push of some bigger ACC teams that get left out of the SEC grab. How big the B1G goes depends on whether it clings to AAU membership (which would exclude FSU and Clemson as the first big names).

I’m not sure they would have the 4 to block that alliance, especially if there is an alternative outcome of the alliance going to B1G.

That would be the only scenario that makes sense for the SEC. Clemmons/GT/FSU don’t really move the needle enough financially to do avoid diluting existing member shares of the revenue.

Some of you guys need a ööööin Xanax. GT is going to be fine. We may not fill a stadium like Clemson, but judging the value of the program based on where our football program is today doesn’t make sense. We’re not Texas, but we bring a lot more to the table than most other ACC schools.

Some of you guys need a ööööin Xanax. GT is going to be fine. We may not fill a stadium like Clemson, but judging the value of the program based on where our football program is today doesn’t make sense. We’re not Texas, but we bring a lot more to the table than most other ACC schools.

I'd go further than that. The ACC will be fine too.

Here is what I expect to happen
1) Texas and Oklahoma go to SEC -the train has left the station and it can't be stopped
2) Iowa St and Kansas bolt to the BIG Integer - that gives the Big Integer 16 teams. Big Integer drags their feet on this but ultimately decide getting to 16 teams is a smart move.
3) The 6 remaining Big 12 - TCU Baylor Texas Tech Kansas St Oklahoma St West Virginia are in a lurch and either have to reform via adding UCF Memphis Cincinnati SMU Tulane and USF or go to PAC12. West Virginia lobbies ACC hard - Some incentive for ACC to add them so if can get Notre Dame, will have 16 teams. Other 5 decide to take PAC12 up and join.
4) ACC ultimately takes West Virginia although not without consternation. Notre Dame for now remains an indepedent,
5) PAC12 tries to get BYU so have 18 teams and if they will not play then ultimately adds SMU.

1) agree, that is probably a done deal. Even if TAM objects, there is enough money to get it done.
2) Iowa State is screwed. The B1g has no reason to add them. TT is screwed too. Houston is in a better position than TT. KSU and OSU are also screwed. Only Kansas has anything to offer. They can maybe swing the KC market to the B1g network. Especially if the B1g makes a play for Missouri, but I doubt they would.

Isn’t the ACC ööööed by our previously negotiated TV deal?

You honestly think if Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC everything will just be alright in the ACC?

And with NIL? The Alabama QB already has a million $$$ in endorsements and he hasn't even played. It will be a NIL arms race in the SEC. Who will be able to keep up?

Tech is holding the short end of the stick. Who knew a decision over 50 years ago would hold so much consequence.

This is the end, my only friend, the end...

You honestly think if Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC everything will just be alright in the ACC?

And with NIL? The Alabama QB already has a million $$$ in endorsements and he hasn't even played. It will be a NIL arms race in the SEC. Who will be able to keep up?

Tech is holding the short end of the stick. Who knew a decision over 50 years ago would hold so much consequence.

This is the end, my only friend, the end...

I agree that we are holding the short end of the stick. I agree with some on here that we bundle ourselves with Clemson, FSU and Miami as an already made Pod to both the B1G and the SEC. The SEC would not like the B1G in their backyard and I would hope they take us in a defensive move against the B1G. The focus is no longer new market areas like the days of conference networks, but marquee matchups.

If the SEC calls our bluff, we will all need to buy ski gear and long johns and stay somewhat relevant in the B1G!

It’s more than a cash grab. It’s also seeking the destruction of everything else. The sec is absolutely looking to destabilize other conferences with this move. They want to set the rules for college football and set the invite list. The ones not invited are relegated to lower level play.

I tend to agree--- interesting to think on where does this play out...ultimately?

SEC already gave the finger to the NCAA last year when they said "we're playing football." Now with NIL- they can pay athletes. Does the SEC get big enough to say screw the NCAA and everyone else- we are THE conference and play for our own national championship. We pay our players and are a de-facto farm league for the NFL....it's basically back to D-IA and the rest of the conferences are the equivalent of D-I AA? Who would be left out: USC-W, ND, Ohio State, Michigan? Throw in PSU. The SEC won't care and says "so what- y'all can have your NCAA 'national champion' as we have our own deals and money and national champion."

Not sure how this ends up- but feels like a lot more going on here than just conference additions?

I wanted us in the B1G during the first shuffle. Even e-mailed Peterson about it. Peterson said he couldn’t imagine our alums making trips to road games in Bloomington, IN (specifically). I was thinking…do we make trips to away games now?
I don't think the future is in the Big10. I think the future is in a new league.

Is this the early 60's again? We've been there. We have been paying that price since.

I think I recall that some contract among member schools made the exit fee so high in the ACC that it was used as a deterrent

I was referring more to what each school can earn because the tv contract sucks so bad

I don't think the future is in the Big10. I think the future is in a new league.

Maybe. May end up with just 2 conferences. The SEC Super Conference and Conference America that has OSU, Mich, USC-w, PSU, UCLA, ND, Wash, Neb, a Florida school (probably Miami if it stays an AAU conference), and some other schools that crosses the continent. Just need to hope GT gets an invite, and in that scenario I think we would. Getting back to bowl eligibility this year would be a help.

Would UNC be willing to be a mere member in a super conference, or would they rather stay and rule whatever is left of the ACC?

My understanding is that it takes 9 votes to dissolve the ACC conference. So if the SEC took GT, Clemson, FSU, and either Miami or NC State to get to 20 then the B1G might take UNC, Duke, Virginia, VT, Syracuse and Wake to get to 20 on their end. Thats 10 schools voting to dissolve and no one pays any exit fees. The PAC12, BIG12, and remainder of the ACC can form a third mega conference and we go from the Power 5 to the Power 3. I'll start sobering up now.

Back