Here we go again. Conference expansion

Who is Jack McGuire? I have never heard of him. Pretty amazing that he hasn't been wrong since 2019 and is still wasting his time on college sports. He should be working the stock market.

There's another guy named Kevin McGuire who says PSU fans are talking about joining the ACC, even though he doesn't think it will happen because of $$....but with realignment the money picture changes significantly.

And the ACC is home to many opponents Penn State has a long history with (Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College) and others that would just be plain old fun to see on the schedule (Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech) on a regular basis. Penn State would be a terrific addition to the ACC should the ACC ever decide to expand its own membership and the Nittany Lions were in fact interested in switching conference banners.

Let’s stop talking about Penn State and the ACC (yahoo.com)

Anyhows, I thought it was interesting that others were talking about PSU to ACC.

If Texas and OU moving to the SEC and the 12 team playoff force Notre Dame's hand to join the ACC, I like UCF as the 16th team. 60k students, Orlando, 3rd Florida team, not bad in Football, etc.

How about this for 4 team pods:

GT
FSU
Miami
UCF

Clemson
Louisville
VPI&SU
UVA

UNC
NCSU
Duke
Wake

Notre Dame
Syracuse
BC
Pitt

I think this is the right answer. I like the pod format, so long as natural rivalries can be preserved. It should also help more than one team make the CFP once expanded.

Though if I was king for a day, I’d rather see us in an older version of the SEC without Mizzou and A&M.

ND is fine. Adding schools because of lucrative markets is part of what makes a lot of ACC football games about as exciting as watching paint try. IDGAF about watching Pitt, Syracuse, BC, or Louisville. I’m against adding any more crap like Cincinnati or similar.

Thank you sir for your post….couldn’t agree more. Let’s add ND and Central Florida. Wish we could drop BC and Syracuse and add 2 more.

Thank you sir for your post….couldn’t agree more. Let’s add ND and Central Florida. Wish we could drop BC and Syracuse and add 2 more.

I would much rather play BC than Weak Forest or Duke. If we are going to clean house I would start with Wake Forest, then Duke (without Coach K and Cutcliffe aging out as well, the future for Duke looks bleak), after that Syracuse (they can't seem to get their act together).

If this plays out poorly for Georgia Tech, that would be one statue I could get behind taking down.
Yep. His time passed him in the 1950's and he firebombed GT's program by being very short-sighted in the 60's. Even Dodd knew he had ööööed up, telling Bill Curry he should take the Alabama job knowing GT was a dead end

I’ve always though that Grant Field sounded better anyways.
It always was Grant Field when I was a kid. Back then, just had Ciraldo to listen to on the radio and go to a game or two a year. I had no idea, as a kid, how bad things really were behind the scenes. I have to credit UGAg, when we left the SEC, they went for the jugular and now pretty much own the state. If we don't find a good solution, perhaps in an SEC pod, I just don't see a reason going forward for them to bother with us anymore yearly. I doubt our state legislators really care.

I would much rather play BC than Weak Forest or Duke. If we are going to clean house I would start with Wake Forest, then Duke (without Coach K and Cutcliffe aging out as well, the future for Duke looks bleak), after that Syracuse (they can't seem to get their act together).
WF, Duke, BC and Syracuse are albatrosses for football. No one cares to see them as an opponent. It’s boring and it kills ticket sales. Pitt isn’t far behind. Buying a season package is hard when 2 acc games come from that pool and another 1 or 2 games are some HBCU or a music school from Alabama.

It always was Grant Field when I was a kid. Back then, just had Ciraldo to listen to on the radio and go to a game or two a year. I had no idea, as a kid, how bad things really were behind the scenes. I have to credit UGAg, when we left the SEC, they went for the jugular and now pretty much own the state. If we don't find a good solution, perhaps in an SEC pod, I just don't see a reason going forward for them to bother with us anymore yearly. I doubt our state legislators really care.

We'll end up playing 'small ball' if this ends poorly. UGA will have no reason to play us and we'll play the two GSU's for the state small ball title. :bigcry:

Last edited:
If the whining is this bad on stingtalk, I can’t imagine how intolerable the left behinds boards for the b12 are.

Tech isn’t going back to the SEC, but IF things closed down to only 2 conferences, we’d have a home in the other one with little doubt. Y’all act like we’re gsu or or directional Kentucky or something.

If the whining is this bad on stingtalk, I can’t imagine how intolerable the left behinds boards for the b12 are.

Tech isn’t going back to the SEC, but IF things closed down to only 2 conferences, we’d have a home in the other one with little doubt. Y’all act like we’re gsu or or directional Kentucky or something.
Don't doubt UGAgs desire to kill us off. Hell, they'd kill off Florida and Tennessee's programs if they could.

All conferences have dead weight. What does Rutgers bring to the B1G? The New York TV market, but does anyone in NY even watch Rutgers? ACC has too many small schools clustered in one area of NC. SEC has Vanderbilt. If it all goes down to where Clemson and FSU leave, TStan better be on the phone with the B1G for the sake of Tech's sports future. Either that or Tech ends up in the AAC.

The ACC needs to pull in a big name or they are dead. When the SEC is pulling in Texas and Oklahoma, you don't turn around and pull in Cincinnati and Tulane. If Notre Dame doesn't want to join then cut them loose. They are just trolling the ACC anyway.

All conferences have dead weight. What does Rutgers bring to the B1G? The New York TV market, but does anyone in NY even watch Rutgers? ACC has too many small schools clustered in one area of NC. SEC has Vanderbilt. If it all goes down to where Clemson and FSU leave, TStan better be on the phone with the B1G for the sake of Tech's sports future. Either that or Tech ends up in the AAC.

The ACC needs to pull in a big name or they are dead. When the SEC is pulling in Texas and Oklahoma, you don't turn around and pull in Cincinnati and Tulane. If Notre Dame doesn't want to join then cut them loose. They are just trolling the ACC anyway.
Getting Cincinnati and Tulane is just admitting you are destined to play small ball

Getting Cincinnati and Tulane is just admitting you are destined to play small ball

"College sports" don't exist anymore. "Student athletes" don't exist anymore.

We now have professional football level one played on Sunday in major cities, and professional football level two played on Saturday in country towns.

The "ATL" already has a team in level one.

Bobby Dodd was a great and good man. But, just like many others, he got overconfident and screwed up. Even if he hadn't, what would Tech be? Another Vanderbilt. A level two team in a level one city.

What all this gnashing of teeth comes down to is us wishing we were Vanderbilt.

Do Clemson, FSU and North Carolina really want to go from owning their own pretend-Power Five league to being just another Mississippi State in the mighty SEC? They probably do.

The mighty SEC is running short of one thing: teams to beat. In a 16 team super league, everybody can't play Vanderbilt every year.

The ACC's ace in the hole is Comcast Xfinity:

“We’re hopeful to come to an agreement with these cable providers that aren’t carrying the network, and that’s anytime between now through the end of the year,” Phillips said in a Wednesday interview with the AJC at the ACC Kickoff media event.

With the ACC Network's footprint, this could potentially level the playing field when it comes to TV revenue.

Back