Here we go again. Conference expansion

I didn't forget them. That's why I mentioned Oklahoma and Okie State. They're not going anywhere. The same arguments could have been made before. What you suggest is possible but certainly nowhere close to being certain at all.
Actually, those same arguments WERE made before, but this proposed realignment is completely different from any of the earlier ones.

Actually, those same arguments WERE made before, but this proposed realignment is completely different from any of the earlier ones.

Completely different how? We know they are adding two teams. Everything else is just speculation from bloggers and clickbait writers and media blowhards.

Completely different how? We know they are adding two teams. Everything else is just speculation from bloggers and clickbait writers and media blowhards.
If they go to 4 pods, and yes, I know that's just speculation, there will almost have to be inter-pod games to end the season.

Coastal Carolina too. They have Carolina in the name, so they have to get an invite.

Shed Duke, WF, Pitt, Syracuse and BC. Get OSU, Michigan, PSU, MSU, WV and ND to fill the spaces. That would be a good conference.

no BIG10 schools are leaving to join the ACC unless a model can show our conference payouts will significantly eclipse their current model in a short timeframe. Adding ND permanently would be significant. I understand it would not be popular, but I would add CEntral Florida if we get ND given the size of their alumni base and strong alumni support for athletics. I do not want Memphis, WVU, Cincy, etc.They bring nothing to the conference.

no BIG10 schools are leaving to join the ACC unless a model can show our conference payouts will significantly eclipse their current model in a short timeframe. Adding ND permanently would be significant. I understand it would not be popular, but I would add CEntral Florida if we get ND given the size of their alumni base and strong alumni support for athletics. I do not want Memphis, WVU, Cincy, etc.They bring nothing to the conference.
But imagine the conference if the top half of acc and top half of B1G joined forces.

The ACC's ace in the hole is Comcast Xfinity:

“We’re hopeful to come to an agreement with these cable providers that aren’t carrying the network, and that’s anytime between now through the end of the year,” Phillips said in a Wednesday interview with the AJC at the ACC Kickoff media event.

With the ACC Network's footprint, this could potentially level the playing field when it comes to TV revenue.

Comcast represents a minority of TV revenue for ACCN carriage. This won't close the gap. Open market negotiations would. The Pac-12 is about to have those. The Big 12 is already in the process of that (which is why TX and OU are now in the SEC). The SEC just completed that once for CBS T1 and will now do it again for TX/OU. The B1G is about to do the same. The ACC's next open market for the TV contract is in the mid-2030's. Thanks Swofford. I noticed Swofford's son got a sweet media deal at Raycom as part of that though which is why the ACC has random potluck on Fox Sports South Sinclair Sports South Bally's Whatever Who Cares Sports Somewhere. Thanks again Swofford.

Comcast represents a minority of TV revenue for ACCN carriage. This won't close the gap. Open market negotiations would. The Pac-12 is about to have those. The Big 12 is already in the process of that (which is why TX and OU are now in the SEC). The SEC just completed that once for CBS T1 and will now do it again for TX/OU. The B1G is about to do the same. The ACC's next open market for the TV contract is in the mid-2030's. Thanks Swofford. I noticed Swofford's son got a sweet media deal at Raycom as part of that though which is why the ACC has random potluck on Fox Sports South Sinclair Sports South Bally's Whatever Who Cares Sports Somewhere. Thanks again Swofford.
Could the ACC void the deal if the Swafford bribery is proved?

I’m pretty sure we have a ‘look in’ with ESPN right now on our contract or if we add any new member. That is why it is critical to move quick now and secure someone so we can open up the negotiations on our current deal. Doing nothing locks us in until the next look in period in 5 or 7 years out. The ACC won’t last that long if we stay at our current payouts.

For the hell of it, reach out to SC and Stanford to join along with Notre Dame. Then drop with wake or Duke from football membership. 16 teams, go with 4 pods with a nine game conference schedule like the sec media is proposing.

If the Acc can’t stomach dropping anybody, add the three teams above then get to 20 teams:
- Reach out to Penn St
- Add Washington and/or Oregon. Both if Penn st says no. More enticement for west coast schools to join
- Add a Texas school for the tv market
- Add West Virginia to get to 20 if needed

4 five-team pods. 9 game conference schedule. Can still have a championship game based on best record between pod pairs. Plenty of well branded teams and marquee matchups.

Comcast currently represents 0% of ACCN carriage:

Comcast is the largest Cable TV provider in the country:

Getting ACCN on Comcast could be a significant increase in revenues.....depending on what is negotiated in today's challenging carriage environment.

You'll get no argument from me that Swofford sucks.....and if the deal with his son does not pass the smell test.

ACC should go get Norte Dame and Penn State if true
Notre Dame isn’t joining any conference. And it’s not because they want to retain their independence to play their classic rivals—-that’s their bs excuse.

Notre Dame isn’t joining any major conference because they cannot consistently win any P5 conference championship. And they would never make the playoffs. Instead, they will rely on their political power to make the playoffs and then get embarrassed because they shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

Notre Dame isn’t joining any conference. And it’s not because they want to retain their independence to play their classic rivals—-that’s their bs excuse.

Notre Dame isn’t joining any major conference because they cannot consistently win any P5 conference championship. And they would never make the playoffs. Instead, they will rely on their political power to make the playoffs and then get embarrassed because they shouldn’t have been there in the first place.
That is a load of crap. They wouldn't dominate, but they would be a top 4 team in our league every season and challenge for the ACC yearly.

They played in the ACC title game just last year.

But imagine the conference if the top half of acc and top half of B1G joined forces.

it would be a big move but selfishly, very little about BIG10 football outside of OSU gets me excited. If we are imagining scenarios, I’d rather see us, Clemson and FSU in the SEC…but that’s just one man’s opinion.

Back