Here we go again. Conference expansion

I think the SEC will regret this. It seems great, but Texas has a very exaggerated view of itself. It has brought ruin to every conference it has been in. This has already caused discord within the SEC, and has shown how unethical the SEC is acting, even to its own member. As a Tech fan, I am glad the SEC has finally hurt itself.

The SEC is like Germany before WWII, grabbing everything it sees. They will have to be stopped. Maybe all the other Power 5 conferences should quit playing any SEC teams during the regular season. Yes, it would hurt not playing UGA etc, but it would really cripple the SEC. What else will stop them? They don't care about anybody else.

Ain't no hyperbole like nazi comparison hyperbole

They walked through the ACC last year. 9-0

They went 31-10 in the 2010's against the ACC.

Since 2015: 5-1, 2-3, 4-1, 5-0, 5-1, 9-0 (That is 23-2 vs the ACC since 2017)

But yeah... they can't hang in the ACC :bfd:

So uga level? If ND joins a conference and doesn’t win it for a decade, they will find it hatd to keep the already tarnished mystique.

Lol. This guy with the inside scoop. "Heard today from several people something we've known about the Big Ten for decades"

The only realistic play that this really takes off the table is the possibility for them to take Missouri away as some part of an expansion package deal. The only play for the Big 10 or the ACC is Notre Dame. That would be a lifeline for Kansas (B1G) or WVU (ACC) to get to 16 members.
My favorite was - BIG TIME SCOOP. U REDY? YOU MUST BE IN THE AAU TO BE INVITED TO THE BIG 10.

...Oh ya...except Notre Dame.

:lol2:

While Twitter was made for these dumbass hot takes, I can't believe people actually listen to them.

They walked through the ACC last year. 9-0

They went 31-10 in the 2010's against the ACC.

Since 2015: 5-1, 2-3, 4-1, 5-0, 5-1, 9-0 (That is 23-2 vs the ACC since 2017)

But yeah... they can't hang in the ACC :bfd:
I agree that Notre Dame would be one of the top teams in the ACC, and would win it now and then; but it is also a valid point that ND would have an easier path to the playoffs with a 12-0 record over a 12-1 ACC runner-up record. They can absolutely compete for ACC championships, but why make getting to the playoff more difficult. Unless they can make a lot more money...

I agree that Notre Dame would be one of the top teams in the ACC, and would win it now and then; but it is also a valid point that ND would have an easier path to the playoffs with a 12-0 record over a 12-1 ACC runner-up record. They can absolutely compete for ACC championships, but why make getting to the playoff more difficult. Unless they can make a lot more money...

It would make them a lot more money.

We need a lot of money. Any ideas.

How does the NBC contract work? Which games belong to NBC?
Only ND home games. That's pretty much standard for all TV contracts. If Tech were to play a home-home with USC, Fox would have first rights to the game in LA, while ESPN would have first rights to the game at Bobby Dodd.

Or in this situation, the game in South Bend would always be on NBC, while the game at Tech would always be on ESPN/ABC.

It's also why COFH is sometimes on CBS when played at that öööö hole to the east.

I think there is a good chance we will be if our AD isn’t setting up a package deal with at least FSU and Clemson. If those two schools leave the ACC without us we are screwed to the equivalent of AAC or Conference USA level.
South Florida once thought they had hit a homerun joining the AAC. The realignment coupled with the transfer portal puts all our blue chip recruits at risk.

South Florida once thought they had hit a homerun joining the AAC. The realignment coupled with the transfer portal puts all our blue chip recruits at risk.
Yeah maybe. But we are already getting some recruits that have multiple SEC offers. If we start winning and are ranked every year I think it will convince a lot to stay.

Only ND home games. That's pretty much standard for all TV contracts. If Tech were to play a home-home with USC, Fox would have first rights to the game in LA, while ESPN would have first rights to the game at Bobby Dodd.

Or in this situation, the game in South Bend would always be on NBC, while the game at Tech would always be on ESPN/ABC.

It's also why COFH is sometimes on CBS when played at that öööö hole to the east.
We need to make it so that there is a 5/3 or 5/4 game ratio of money allocated to the ACC from those game IMO. Let them keep the change, but the conference should have the majority of conference matchup revenue.

Imagine joining the Big 10 along with Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Together with Maryland, an 8 team southern/coastal division has a lot of blue blood ACC membership, retaining a lot of tradition. Add to that core probably Purdue, Rutgers, and Penn State and you've got a nice little 8 team half-conference.

If we HAD to go Big 10, this sort of setup would be more than palatable. That would free up Clemson and FSU to be where they belong.

Imagine joining the Big 10 along with Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Together with Maryland, an 8 team southern/coastal division has a lot of blue blood ACC membership, retaining a lot of tradition. Add to that core probably Purdue, Rutgers, and Penn State and you've got a nice little 8 team half-conference.

If we HAD to go Big 10, this sort of setup would be more than palatable. That would free up Clemson and FSU to be where they belong.
Duke, Rutgers and Purdue. Yuck.

It's probably my öööö the world streak, feel free to tell me I need to forget it and get back to getting brutally pegged by your mom...

Following this stuff from a distance, when the thought comes up of GT being "left behind" somehow, it doesn't freak me out because I would kind of like to see us as an independent... Certainly better than ending up in an even worse football conference than current ACC...

Obv $$ is an issue. But I think it would be fun and it kinda fits. Heisman Trophy is us. College Football HOF is us. The spectacle of big games in the Benz, or under the lights in downtown ATL. Our kids can actually read, and by and large represent what's good about college sports. We're no longer running an offense that people are scared to schedule. I would love to see our schedule have Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Tenn, Gaggers, ND, whoever instead of Wake, Pitt, Duke, Boston College, Syracuse, NC State, an and on..

Ok back to reality, ain't happening, right? ST mom, strap that big black thing on and get back to work.
The SEC just added Oklahoma and Texas to become a 16 league team so they can schedule mighty independent Georgia Tech instead.
Can you give me your dealer’s number?

This is musical chairs, and when the music stops, I think Tech is left out. Cannot get excited any of the teams you listed, and I bet they can't get excited about us. TStan needs to get on the phone to Conference USA and be done with it.

If FSU & Clemson were to leave ( and I don't think Clemson would) the ACC could survive as long as all the Carolina schools stay. A 9
team conference of GT, Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Miami would involve 8 conference games & the ability to schedule 4 tea.s outside of the conference. We could schedule a lot of national teams in such a scenario.
That being said I am very unhappy with the state of college football these days. I long for the way it was played in the fifties & sixties.

Back