Here we go again. Conference expansion

The primary reason Comcast doesn't offer ACCN is because ESPN is adamant they (comcast) include it in their base package. Comcast doesn't want to do that, they want to offer it in a sports bundle. Comcast currently has around 20.4 million residential video subs if I'm not mistaken. That represents over 367 million in annual revenues to ESPN if CC carries it in the base. That's significant. It's not a gap closer, but it's in the right direction by a pretty good clip. It's my understanding we don't need a "look in" or open market negotiation to benefit from that added revenue either. With regards to ACCN specifically, its a direct formula within the compensation pkg based on revenues that would add immediately to the annual pay out. Kind of the point why they made such a big deal about the ACCN in the first place and a carrot they used to get the ACC presidents to commit to the extended terms on the GOR.

We will see shortly if ESPN's stubborn stance will pay off. IIRC, Comcast current contract with ESPN/Disney expires end of Jan 22? Maybe there will be a concession somewhere so they can add ACCN into the base pkg. It probably wouldn't hurt if everyone in ACC land who has Comcast let them know they want ACCN and they want it in the base pkg or they are going to look elsewhere. Youtube TV has it included, as does Charter Spectrum (although not sure CS offers it in their base). Comcast needs to get on board.

This year when our regional baseball games at Vandy did not even get on ACC Network, I felt like an idiot to have gone to so much trouble to switch from Comcast to Hulu just to get it. Who cares about the ACCN? I'm sure some people do, but I never watch it. If I had known what I know now, I would never have gotten it. If it ever gets worth watching, I'm sure Comcast will want it. In the meantime, they don't owe the ACC any favors, and I don't care.

Let's just merge with the Big Ten to make the Big ACC and checkmate

The SEC or Big 10 would be OK, but the conference I really yearn for is The Mountain West.

1 - I love watching football in the snow and cold.

2 - I love having a game I care about on at 11:00 PM on Saturday night, after all the other games I care about are over.

3 - The towns these games are played in seem real clean.

4 - I believe in a strong military, and they have Air Force.

5 - The theme song of "Hawaii Five-0" is the fight song of Hawaii.

The SEC or Big 10 would be OK, but the conference I really yearn for is The Mountain West.

1 - I love watching football in the snow and cold.

2 - I love having a game I care about on at 11:00 PM on Saturday night, after all the other games I care about are over.

3 - The towns these games are played in seem real clean.

4 - I believe in a strong military, and they have Air Force.

5 - The theme song of "Hawaii Five-0" is the fight song of Hawaii.
Best post ITT. And I kinda agree with all these reasons, even though they are obviously not good reasons. In this day and age, when rivalries are dead, geography irrelevant, and money is all that matters, you have to find the little things.
PS. Particularly fond of the 'towns seem real clean' reason.

Given that we keep adding Big East teams while giving ND preferred status to maybe improve our bowl outlook, maybe the Big12 model would be a step up.

Thinking about it, the problem seems to be West Virginia. Perhaps we can sneak WVU into the SEC and then watch them implode.

The primary reason Comcast doesn't offer ACCN is because ESPN is adamant they (comcast) include it in their base package. Comcast doesn't want to do that, they want to offer it in a sports bundle. Comcast currently has around 20.4 million residential video subs if I'm not mistaken. That represents over 367 million in annual revenues to ESPN if CC carries it in the base. That's significant. It's not a gap closer, but it's in the right direction by a pretty good clip. It's my understanding we don't need a "look in" or open market negotiation to benefit from that added revenue either. With regards to ACCN specifically, its a direct formula within the compensation pkg based on revenues that would add immediately to the annual pay out. Kind of the point why they made such a big deal about the ACCN in the first place and a carrot they used to get the ACC presidents to commit to the extended terms on the GOR.

We will see shortly if ESPN's stubborn stance will pay off. IIRC, Comcast current contract with ESPN/Disney expires end of Jan 22? Maybe there will be a concession somewhere so they can add ACCN into the base pkg. It probably wouldn't hurt if everyone in ACC land who has Comcast let them know they want ACCN and they want it in the base pkg or they are going to look elsewhere. Youtube TV has it included, as does Charter Spectrum (although not sure CS offers it in their base). Comcast needs to get on board.

Your math isn't accurate.

$367m: ESPN takes half
$183.5m: The ACC splits it up... ND gets an equal share of ACCN disbursement.
$12.23m: Annual increase ASSUMING absolutely zero league overhead and .... assuming every single Comcast subscriber in the country lives inside the ACC footprint and pays the in-state carriage rate. You'll find the out of market carriage cost to be a fraction of the in market cost. The red in this map represents Comcast:

twc_comcast_map_mashable.jpg

So we'll keep on being insanely generous and say that you manage to get 2/3 of all Comcast subscribers in market.

You then arrive at your grand total of: $8m/yr/school

Now let's compare that shall we? ESPN just paid $300m/yr to buy out the CBS SEC package. That's $300m/yr .... to buy ONE FOOTBALL GAME per week. Add in the SEC offices taking a share so you divide by 17. That means each SEC school made $17.65m/yr/school just on that one football game a week. Comcast carriage gets doubled up on just with the CBS T1 game.

Back to my original point: Comcast doesn't move the needle. You need to realize gains more along the magnitude of $50m/yr/school to keep pace, especially after the Pac-12, B1G, and SEC all close open market new deals in the coming years.

Your math isn't accurate.

$367m: ESPN takes half
$183.5m: The ACC splits it up... ND gets an equal share of ACCN disbursement.
$12.23m: Annual increase ASSUMING absolutely zero league overhead and .... assuming every single Comcast subscriber in the country lives inside the ACC footprint and pays the in-state carriage rate. You'll find the out of market carriage cost to be a fraction of the in market cost. The red in this map represents Comcast:

twc_comcast_map_mashable.jpg

So we'll keep on being insanely generous and say that you manage to get 2/3 of all Comcast subscribers in market.

You then arrive at your grand total of: $8m/yr/school

Now let's compare that shall we? ESPN just paid $300m/yr to buy out the CBS SEC package. That's $300m/yr .... to buy ONE FOOTBALL GAME per week. Add in the SEC offices taking a share so you divide by 17. That means each SEC school made $17.65m/yr/school just on that one football game a week. Comcast carriage gets doubled up on just with the CBS T1 game.

Back to my original point: Comcast doesn't move the needle. You need to realize gains more along the magnitude of $50m/yr/school to keep pace, especially after the Pac-12, B1G, and SEC all close open market new deals in the coming years.
What does the blue represent?

Adding teams to the ACC doesn't move the needle. Adding Notre Dame helps but really the ACC would still not have the firepower of the SEC in terms of top teams. It would help so I am for it but it doesn't move the needle that far.

When you think through this predicament, the SEC has wrapped up the conference with the best and highest profile teams so impossible to beat them at their game of adding teams. You need to beat them with geography density and number of tv sets (i.e volume over quality). Even the big integer cannot match SEC on prestige of football team profiles. The Big Integer is ahead of the ACC but might also benefit from an alliance. Revenues may have to be slpit unevenly per not only league but per college {ie Tech makes less than Michigan}. The days of splitting revenues evenly may be over but more based on what you bring. Nevertheless an ACC/Big10 together provides a lot of territory and a lot of TV sets. Makes the SEC seem kind of small, The two of them added togther would be 28-30 teams, cover a wide geography and provide some unusual matchups with some expanded regional coverage ie ACC team vs Big Integer team needed every week. i.e. Clemson vs Ohio State or FSU vs Michigan.

TV might find this appealing.

2025? The hell is that? Buy out their rights agreement big money boys. Lameduck conference for 4 years?

Is this a way for the other conferences and schools to fight back: deny the expansion to a 12 team playoff and lobby for the return of the BCS?

By ensuring only four teams you have a chance of locking out 10-2 SEC teams and especially the 9-3 that might sneak into a 12 team playoff. Essentially making the SEC a pure money venture.

Back