Here we go again. Conference expansion

Adding teams to the ACC doesn't move the needle. Adding Notre Dame helps but really the ACC would still not have the firepower of the SEC in terms of top teams. It would help so I am for it but it doesn't move the needle that far.

When you think through this predicament, the SEC has wrapped up the conference with the best and highest profile teams so impossible to beat them at their game of adding teams. You need to beat them with geography density and number of tv sets (i.e volume over quality). Even the big integer cannot match SEC on prestige of football team profiles. The Big Integer is ahead of the ACC but might also benefit from an alliance. Revenues may have to be slpit unevenly per not only league but per college {ie Tech makes less than Michigan}. The days of splitting revenues evenly may be over but more based on what you bring. Nevertheless an ACC/Big10 together provides a lot of territory and a lot of TV sets. Makes the SEC seem kind of small, The two of them added togther would be 28-30 teams, cover a wide geography and provide some unusual matchups with some expanded regional coverage ie ACC team vs Big Integer team needed every week. i.e. Clemson vs Ohio State or FSU vs Michigan.

TV might find this appealing.
I think this is a good idea, not sure of the benefit to the BIG. If I was the ACC though, I would be talking to the PAC12 and BIG about options

Go ahead and laugh. I was laughing too until I realized this is going to change our favorite sport forever.

I was laughing about the draft part that I made up, not at you.

By going to an NFL model, where you referring to scheduling as in the pod model ideas being floated similar to the divisions in the NFL?

Adding teams to the ACC doesn't move the needle. Adding Notre Dame helps but really the ACC would still not have the firepower of the SEC in terms of top teams. It would help so I am for it but it doesn't move the needle that far.

When you think through this predicament, the SEC has wrapped up the conference with the best and highest profile teams so impossible to beat them at their game of adding teams. You need to beat them with geography density and number of tv sets (i.e volume over quality). Even the big integer cannot match SEC on prestige of football team profiles. The Big Integer is ahead of the ACC but might also benefit from an alliance. Revenues may have to be slpit unevenly per not only league but per college {ie Tech makes less than Michigan}. The days of splitting revenues evenly may be over but more based on what you bring. Nevertheless an ACC/Big10 together provides a lot of territory and a lot of TV sets. Makes the SEC seem kind of small, The two of them added togther would be 28-30 teams, cover a wide geography and provide some unusual matchups with some expanded regional coverage ie ACC team vs Big Integer team needed every week. i.e. Clemson vs Ohio State or FSU vs Michigan.

TV might find this appealing.
College football was built on rivalries, not cash. But now the "haves" are deciding who will play who and for how much. And who can blame them? The uber-factories must squirm having to be dictated to by mere mortals such as Duke, Boston College, Kentucky, and, dare I say, Georgia Tech. I read an interesting comparison of college football and NASCAR's disastrous road to unbridled growth. It is not pretty.

I read an interesting comparison of college football and NASCAR's disastrous road to unbridled growth. It is not pretty.

I don’t care about NASCAR, but would like to read the article. Link it if you can.

I’m sure that those involved will find a way to strangle the golden goose and destroy it in pursuit of getting it to lay 2 eggs at once rather than constantly laying 1. :lolfacepalm:

Here is a very out of the box idea that would never happen, but for the fun of it - here we go.

1) The PAC, ACC, BIG form a football league (not conference) with 40 FOOTBALL members and 10 - 4 team pods. Basketball and non-revenue sports would stay in the existing conference format.
2) The Pod teams for example GT, Clem, FSU, UM would play each other every year (3 games). Increase league games to 10 (play every other team in the league every 5 years or 11 (play every other team in the league every ~ 4.5 years). This is similar to what the NFL does

Advantages:

1) The market share would give this league a lot of power to dictate payouts from ESPN, FOX, CBS and streaming services- their only alternative is an isolated 16 team SEC. The League controls a majority of the market.
2) In the long term, the 40 team FOOTBALL league could add the SEC (now 56 FOOTBALL teams) - for total control of the market (like the NFL) = still keep basket ball and other sports in traditional conference format.
3) By doing this, it allows the PAC, ACC, BIG to have control as opposed to the SEC
4) This could also force ND to play by the rules

I don’t care about NASCAR, but would like to read the article. Link it if you can.

I’m sure that those involved will find a way to strangle the golden goose and destroy it in pursuit of getting it to lay 2 eggs at once rather than constantly laying 1. :lolfacepalm:
By Ryan McGee espn.com

Here is a very out of the box idea that would never happen, but for the fun of it - here we go.

1) The PAC, ACC, BIG form a football league (not conference) with 40 FOOTBALL members and 10 - 4 team pods. Basketball and non-revenue sports would stay in the existing conference format.
2) The Pod teams for example GT, Clem, FSU, UM would play each other every year (3 games). Increase league games to 10 (play every other team in the league every 5 years or 11 (play every other team in the league every ~ 4.5 years). This is similar to what the NFL does

Advantages:

1) The market share would give this league a lot of power to dictate payouts from ESPN, FOX, CBS and streaming services- their only alternative is an isolated 16 team SEC. The League controls a majority of the market.
2) In the long term, the 40 team FOOTBALL league could add the SEC (now 56 FOOTBALL teams) - for total control of the market (like the NFL) = still keep basket ball and other sports in traditional conference format.
3) By doing this, it allows the PAC, ACC, BIG to have control as opposed to the SEC
4) This could also force ND to play by the rules
This could work. If they all lost their minds at once and performed a total immaculate boycot if all other power four conferences weren’t aligned with the same tv contracts they might could do it. It would be insane and chaotic.

As I said earlier we’ve lost our damn minds.

Is the acceptance by the SEC locked in? I could see A&M, Mizzou, LSU and Arkansas voting no.
Not technically, no. They have to go in proper order legally, so they must do all the formal steps for leaving the Big 12 before submitting a request for admittance to the SEC that the ADs vote upon. I would certainly presume they've done all the due diligence through back channels before getting to this point. The vote will be, I imagine, 14-0 in favor, or at worst 13-0 with TAMU abstaining.

This could work. If they all lost their minds at once and performed a total immaculate boycot if all other power four conferences weren’t aligned with the same tv contracts they might could do it. It would be insane and chaotic.

As I said earlier we’ve lost our damn minds.
Well I sent this to GT AD, - I am sure Stanberry will never see it. But worth a try

I just don’t get all the doom and gloom. I know all the arguments but in the end it’s just a reshuffle that happens from time to time. But the sport will keep going. Whether you continue to care or not is a personal decision.

And why anyone is surprised any more I find funny. As a fan I can’t wait to see more and better games. Between bigger conferences and more playoff games I’m thrilled. I know the dozens of you who lived to see bowl games on a Wednesday night in the third week of December may miss the pageantry of those games but I think you’ll be all right.

All I can say is the addition of playoff games and the death of the NCAA all within a month has me giddy inside.

I just don’t get all the doom and gloom. I know all the arguments but in the end it’s just a reshuffle that happens from time to time. But the sport will keep going. Whether you continue to care or not is a personal decision.

And why anyone is surprised any more I find funny. As a fan I can’t wait to see more and better games. Between bigger conferences and more playoff games I’m thrilled. I know the dozens of you who lived to see bowl games on a Wednesday night in the third week of December may miss the pageantry of those games but I think you’ll be all right.

All I can say is the addition of playoff games and the death of the NCAA all within a month has me giddy inside.
As long as Tech is included in that, I agree. But I fear a reshuffling that leaves us playing for a lesser prize.

As long as Tech is included in that, I agree. But I fear a reshuffling that leaves us playing for a lesser prize.
I just don’t think our team will be left out. We just need to relax. Everything will work out. Within the next 6 months, we’ll be proving we are on the upswing and UGA will see another year go by with ifs and buts.

I just don’t think our team will be left out. We just need to relax. Everything will work out. Within the next 6 months, we’ll be proving we are on the upswing and UGA will see another year go by with ifs and buts.

Give me some of that optimism. I like it, hope you’re right.

Your math isn't accurate.

$367m: ESPN takes half
$183.5m: The ACC splits it up... ND gets an equal share of ACCN disbursement.
$12.23m: Annual increase ASSUMING absolutely zero league overhead and .... assuming every single Comcast subscriber in the country lives inside the ACC footprint and pays the in-state carriage rate. You'll find the out of market carriage cost to be a fraction of the in market cost. The red in this map represents Comcast:

twc_comcast_map_mashable.jpg

So we'll keep on being insanely generous and say that you manage to get 2/3 of all Comcast subscribers in market.

You then arrive at your grand total of: $8m/yr/school

Now let's compare that shall we? ESPN just paid $300m/yr to buy out the CBS SEC package. That's $300m/yr .... to buy ONE FOOTBALL GAME per week. Add in the SEC offices taking a share so you divide by 17. That means each SEC school made $17.65m/yr/school just on that one football game a week. Comcast carriage gets doubled up on just with the CBS T1 game.

Back to my original point: Comcast doesn't move the needle. You need to realize gains more along the magnitude of $50m/yr/school to keep pace, especially after the Pac-12, B1G, and SEC all close open market new deals in the coming years.

I think you missed a few points, understandable since I tend to ramble. Regardless, I never said the 367 million would be disbursed in whole to the ACC, I said that was additional REVENUE, not profit, TO ESPN. I'm not privy to the overhead margin figure for the ACCN, nor our cut of that profit, but I agree with your figure that it would ultimately represent within reason somewhere between 7 and 9 million additional pay out per ACC team, including de Irish. IMHO, that's nothing to scoff at. Considering 6 short years ago our total package from ESPN was around 24 million, 8 million MORE is a chunk. Does it represent, in a vacuum, an amount to get us to where we want to be? Of course not. Does it get us to SEC numbers?......No, but considering it's just from a single provider in a maze of companies desperately clawing for dollars against a rising tide of chord cutters, it's not bad. Comcast does move the needle, and BTW, they carry a competing conferences network in their base package...nationally. It's PART of the reason that conferences revenue stream is where it is. If you have any ideas how to milk more than 367 million dollars out of 20.4 million subscribers annually just for our little isolated cause, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
I think this is a good idea, not sure of the benefit to the BIG. If I was the ACC though, I would be talking to the PAC12 and BIG about options
I hear you on what's in it for Big Integer - namely more tv sets so more money, a group of teams that meets their academic and other standards, inroads to Southern recruiting, and because of the number of teams - better leverage in fighting off SEC as controlling conference for decisions about NIL, playoffs, etc. As I mentioned money may not be equal for all, Ohio St, Clemson, Michigan, PennState may garner higher payout percentages than others.

I think the Big Integer respects the schools of the ACC and they could brand themselves as the major conference of two with academic and moral standards. The SEC being the "cares nothing about academics or morals" conference - the bad guys. Without the ACC, Big Integer is a good conference but without as much leverage as they would have with the ACC.

Is this a way for the other conferences and schools to fight back: deny the expansion to a 12 team playoff and lobby for the return of the BCS?

By ensuring only four teams you have a chance of locking out 10-2 SEC teams and especially the 9-3 that might sneak into a 12 team playoff. Essentially making the SEC a pure money venture.

Yes I agree. The expansion to 12 teams in the playoff is creating a mess, eliminating conference championships and making the season somewhat unneccessary.

The SEC bias is a big problem and needs to be addressed. Expanding to 12 teams just further boosts their advantage.

The SEC cheats and everyone knows it. So contract how many recruits you can sign annually and contract the max number. Every program will improve when doing this.

Back