Here we go again. Conference expansion

Yes I agree. The expansion to 12 teams in the playoff is creating a mess, eliminating conference championships and making the season somewhat unneccessary.

The SEC bias is a big problem and needs to be addressed. Expanding to 12 teams just further boosts their advantage.

The SEC cheats and everyone knows it. So contract how many recruits you can sign annually and contract the max number. Every program will improve when doing this.
The NCAA is dead. We need to start cheating our ass off

I was laughing about the draft part that I made up, not at you.

By going to an NFL model, where you referring to scheduling as in the pod model ideas being floated similar to the divisions in the NFL?
More like how it will be aligned. I see 2 conferences/leagues battling it out, like AFC/NFC and then creating different divisions. Just my two cents.

Is the acceptance by the SEC locked in? I could see A&M, Mizzou, LSU and Arkansas voting no.
Their arrogance probably won't allow it, but the Mutts SHOULD vote no if they know what's best for them overall. After playing mostly powder puff schedules forever, under the new (proposed) alignment, they are going to be forced to play a reputable schedule, and then they will be exposed for the sham I think they really are.

The NCAA is dead. We need to start cheating our ass off

Cheaters got ahead, no question about it. But of course it will never happen at Tech but for having a player take Physics instead of Biology.

For over a decade I have been complaining about our coaching staff not pushing the envelope at all. We never got close to overbooking, etc. Meanwhile Alabama/LSU was taking 35% more athletes than we did (over any time frame). Today, I am much happier that CGC is playing the game more aggressively.

We did not create this mess but if we are to excel in it, we have to push the envelope. I hope our leadership realizes that an extra $50M/year goes a long way into making a podunk state university a better school over a few decades. We will end up with more academic competition too if we do not try to compete aggressively.

The groundwork of building a program that Collins is putting in place will help future GT coaches. It’s all a process for reputation that goes from coach to coach. The last coach we had to do it was Ross, but unfortunately he left for greener pastures. We have a chance with Collins to get consistent for a long period of time. Natty’s may not be in our future but if we can get to the point of having a legit chance every game by being solid in all 3 phases. That‘s what this generation of GT students and recent alum have never seen. They’ve seen flashes followed by huge drops, aka inconsistency. Collins is building a true program and then it’s up to the football gods in the 4th quarter.

The groundwork of building a program that Collins is putting in place will help future GT coaches. It’s all a process for reputation that goes from coach to coach. The last coach we had to do it was Ross, but unfortunately he left for greener pastures. We have a chance with Collins to get consistent for a long period of time. Natty’s may not be in our future but if we can get to the point of having a legit chance every game by being solid in all 3 phases. That‘s what this generation of GT students and recent alum have never seen. They’ve seen flashes followed by huge drops, aka inconsistency. Collins is building a true program and then it’s up to the football gods in the 4th quarter.
I think O'Leary also did that. To SOME extent I also think that CPJ did it, but with his particular offensive scheme not getting much respect even from some Tech fans, plus it apparently being so difficult to transition out of, I would have to say that O'Leary was the last one

Here is a very out of the box idea that would never happen, but for the fun of it - here we go.

1) The PAC, ACC, BIG form a football league (not conference) with 40 FOOTBALL members and 10 - 4 team pods. Basketball and non-revenue sports would stay in the existing conference format.
2) The Pod teams for example GT, Clem, FSU, UM would play each other every year (3 games). Increase league games to 10 (play every other team in the league every 5 years or 11 (play every other team in the league every ~ 4.5 years). This is similar to what the NFL does

Advantages:

1) The market share would give this league a lot of power to dictate payouts from ESPN, FOX, CBS and streaming services- their only alternative is an isolated 16 team SEC. The League controls a majority of the market.
2) In the long term, the 40 team FOOTBALL league could add the SEC (now 56 FOOTBALL teams) - for total control of the market (like the NFL) = still keep basket ball and other sports in traditional conference format.
3) By doing this, it allows the PAC, ACC, BIG to have control as opposed to the SEC
4) This could also force ND to play by the rules
I don't see the part about "other sports stay the same". You either kill off the NCAA or you don't.

At the time I thought the Big 8 made more sense for Arky because at the time it was closer to about 5 Big 8 schools than the Miss schools and LSU, which are the closest SEC schools.

Boy I am glad they didn't do that.

Sure, their history in the SEC sucks but I don't know that winning maybe 1 or 2 Big 12 titles in the last 32 years would be any better. In the Big 12 they would have been a lot like Tech in the ACC without the 1990 title.

I'm already bored with this
tenor (1) (4).gif

By the way, the ACC should look for a new partner. SECSPN is not helping the conference at all. Check out the ex UGA SECSPN analyst saying Clemson should join the SEC. What a partner SECSPN in!

Here is my solution to this mess

1) Big 10, Big 12, Pac10, and ACC and ND announces they will no longer play any SEC teams
2) Those four conferences and ND also announce they will vote to keep the playoff to 4 teams and not expand it
3). Those 4 conferences and ND announce they they will play 2 inter conference games each year with the other conferences and expand their own intra conference games to 9. This will greatly expand TV offerings.

I realize that number 1 would mean the end to our game with Georgia but you have to fight fire with fire and the only way to do this is to isolate the SEC

1) Big 10, Big 12, Pac10, and ACC and ND announces they will no longer play any SEC teams
2) Those four conferences and ND also announce they will vote to keep the playoff to 4 teams and not expand it
3). Those 4 conferences and ND announce they they will play 2 inter conference games each year with the other conferences and expand their own intra conference games to 9. This will greatly expand TV offerings.

I realize that number 1 would mean the end to our game with Georgia but you have to fight fire with fire and the only way to do this is to isolate the SEC
I would love to see other conferences go back and say playoff will stay at 4 as a middle finger to the SEC.

So you want to get the justice department involved too? I feel you but that sort of collusion and cartel posing would be struck in the courts, would it not?

Back