Hire Brent Key

The Jacket

The Coat
If we do hire Chadwell, we would do ourselves a service not to brand it "triple option". Other schools will do their best to do so. I would if I was in their shoes. We don't need to help them.
They are going to call it what they want, just like they did with CPJ's. They were still talking about wishbones and QB ducks by the time he left.

EagleSting

Damn Good Rat
If we do hire Chadwell, we would do ourselves a service not to brand it "triple option". Other schools will do their best to do so. I would if I was in their shoes. We don't need to help them.
Agreed. That stain doesn't come out very fast. For all the arguments about McCall, the dude is not a fast runner and not somebody PJ would've recruited - point being, they're not sold out on a run first option. Lots to like about this offense.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
It won’t matter what we call it. They will still label it as such and use it against us. I’d be fine with Chadwell’s winning record and his coaching ability at Coastal or elsewhere if he could show he can recruit to Tech when we already tie our hands in the back with academics and cheap fanbase. We don’t need the option stigma.

CarsonNewmanJacket

Your average fart joke teller
I don't get the idea that you've watched much NFL or football in general with your comments. Pyron is still an unknown. McCall will be holding a clipboard on an NFL sideline. To say that the unknown is better than an NFL backup is cute homerism but amateur-hour commentary at the same time.

Pyron will certainly face a tougher schedule than McCall and Chadwell ever faced at Coastal so perhaps we'll get to see what Chadwell's magical offense does against real P5 defenses, rather than the Old Dominions of college football.
Well McCall is a senior and Pyron is a true freshman. Pyron, right now, is better than McCall was at the same exact time frame. If Pyron starts next year, he will have his first starting season at the same time McCall did.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Triple option is a play, not a scheme. That offense has variations and setups where you can’t run a TO play. I wonder what Chadwell calls it. I wonder how strange he will find that GT fans (and some media) put a huge amount of importance on what his offense is called.
I’m not sure why you’re trying to pontificate to correct something I never said. My only argument here is that the offense has triple option branding around it, example provided, and that recruiting will again suffer for it.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Well McCall is a senior and Pyron is a true freshman. Pyron, right now, is better than McCall was at the same exact time frame. If Pyron starts next year, he will have his first starting season at the same time McCall did.
McCall is a redshirt Jr. Pyron, right now, has a ways to go to eclipse these numbers but I hope your prediction is correct:

Since becoming the starter in 2020, McCall has gone 28-3. He has completed 70.2% of his passes during that time for 7,675 yards, 74 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

McCall has rushed for 15 touchdowns in his career.

In 2021, McCall set an FBS record for passing efficiency with a 207.6 rating, surpassing the record set by Alabama's Mac Jones (203.1) in 2020.
Like I've said, it'll be interesting to see how Chadwell does without a guy like this taking snaps. I'd love to see Pyron throw for 7000/70 in his career though!

Mickey Atkinson

Varsity Lurker
It may have been mentioned but I thought Key made a bad decision at end of first half. Called timeout with about a minute left with 3 TO left and 1st and goal at the 4 or 5. My thought was to let clock run down to 30 or so secs then call if you wanted to. The handed NC the ball back with 54 seconds left. Thankfully NC got a bad penalty and it did not cost them points.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I’m not sure why you’re trying to pontificate to correct something I never said. My only argument here is that the offense has triple option branding around it, example provided, and that recruiting will again suffer for it.
You specifically referenced someone else calling his offense the triple option. I responded to that. This is a message board; if it isn’t for pontificating then what is it for?

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
It may have been mentioned but I thought Key made a bad decision at end of first half. Called timeout with about a minute left with 3 TO left and 1st and goal at the 4 or 5. My thought was to let clock run down to 30 or so secs then call if you wanted to. The handed NC the ball back with 54 seconds left. Thankfully NC got a bad penalty and it did not cost them points.
He called a time out because he was thinking UNC will get points in that drive so he wanted to get the ball back with enough time to get some points, especially with UNC receiving the ball to begin the third quarter.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
You specifically referenced someone else calling his offense the triple option. I responded to that. This is a message board; if it isn’t for pontificating then what is it for?
It sounds like you should be optionsplaining to that Twitter handle then instead of me

The Jacket

The Coat
They being every team we are recruiting against.
Every single school and every single coach has their faults which other schools target in recruiting. Paul Johnson, while refusing to apologize for his high school offense and while dealing with this exact same issue, took us to two Orange Bowls.

I'm just going to stop before I continue, this is a stupid reason to not want a good coach and if fear of the "option stigma" is what makes anyone oppose Chadwell, I don't really know what to tell them. "Nut the öööö up for öööös sake" or stte I guess.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Apparently many of the players really, really like Key, which should not be a determining factor in the decision. However, it needs to be considered; if Key isn’t hired it’s quite possible many will leave and those that don’t won’t be motivated similar to how it was when Ross replaced Curry. Ross overcame it, but in todays world if the new coach starts out with a 1, then a 3 win season, his time here will be short unless he’s a Bobby Ross caliber coach. Key and his crew are also being fairly successful at recruiting, despite the uncertainty of who the coach will be.
The players’ opinion doesn’t really matter at all. A lot of them liked GC3 and were upset when he got fired.

Remember when Khalil Tate at Arizona threatened to transfer if they hired Ken N? They dropped Ken for Kevin Sumlin and have been one of the worst programs in P5 ever since. Tate transferred the next year, anyway.

EagleSting

Damn Good Rat
The players’ opinion doesn’t really matter at all. A lot of them liked GC3 and were upset when he got fired.

Remember when Khalil Tate at Arizona threatened to transfer if they hired Ken N? They dropped Ken for Kevin Sumlin and have been one of the worst programs in P5 ever since. Tate transferred the next year, anyway.
CGC did a much better job of ruining a program than the TO did. I don't care what kind of stigma the TO or any other obscure offense has - I'd run it and recruit 3 stars with it before hiring another CGC.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.

Agreed. JB just needs to weigh that factor along with the myriad other considerations.

The Jacket

The Coat

One of our players tweeted something like "who does this help at this point?" when we 86ed Penniesworth. The team itself can be just as clueless and naive as the fans are. We are all just spokes in the college football wheel of ööööery.