Hire Brent Key

CPJ had wins over Duke, @Pitt, and @ND in 2007; @Stanford @UConn and @Duke in 2006; Duke, Tulane and Colorado State in 2005. That is a good list of P5 and FBS school wins with an academy roster.

CJC had wins over GaSouthern, @GSU, Appalacian State in 2022; Kansas, Troy, Appalacian State, NIU in 2021; @Kansas, BYU, GSU, @GSU, in COVID year 2020. The one signature win was over BYU in the COVID year.

Winning percentage is a poor stat to look at since CPJ was losing to Rutgers, Wake Forest and Utah; while CJC was losing to Old Dominion (49-21 :coolugh:).

One thing I've noticed is that while CJC has an exciting offense, it looks like his defense blows chunks like CPJ's did, even in his wins this season the losing teams seem to be putting up a lot of points. I am kinda hoping if we hire Chadwell we keep our DC.
Duke had a grand total of 2 wins and 33 losses across all 3 seasons you mentioned. Notre Dame was 3-9 in 2007, Pitt was 5-7. Uconn was 4-8 in the Big Least in 2006, Stanford was 1-11. Tulane was 2-9 in 2005 and in CUSA. Colorado State is arguably the most impressive win of them all, since they went 6-6 and qualified for a bowl. I think you are giving more credit to CPJ because some of these are bigger name teams, not because they were better opponents.

Agreed on keeping Thacker if we take CJC.

Duke had a grand total of 2 wins and 33 losses across all 3 seasons you mentioned. Notre Dame was 3-9 in 2007, Pitt was 5-7. Uconn was 4-8 in the Big Least in 2006, Stanford was 1-11. Tulane was 2-9 in 2005 and in CUSA. Colorado State is arguably the most impressive win of them all, since they went 6-6 and qualified for a bowl. I think you are giving more credit to CPJ because some of these are bigger name teams, not because they were better opponents.

Agreed on keeping Thacker if we take CJC.
Thacker's change of fortunes and reputation after last season and CGC's decision not to fire him has been nothing short of astounding.

Whoever we hire, even if its Key, needs the freedom to hire and not retain anyone he wants. Period. There are some fine football coaches on our staff, but you don't hand over leadership to someone and saddle him with anyone or anything.

Whoever we hire, even if its Key, needs the freedom to hire and not retain anyone he wants. Period. There are some fine football coaches on our staff, but you don't hand over leadership to someone and saddle him with anyone or anything.
I will understand that I just hope Chadwell comes to conclusion he's better off with Thacker and staff running D and then Thacker and them are still down for it as well. If it's Chadwell you accept at end of day his thoughts but don't mean I have to think it was the best solution either. His current DC is pretty stinky.

Even Coastal's own fans know that their DC is awful and wish he was gone. I agree with the others, if it is JC I'd strongly prefer to keep Thacker over bringing his own DC - assuming those are the only options. One of the issues I have is that Staggs (Coastal DC) goes back a long way with JC - like, the beginnings of JC's coaching career at Charleston Southern.

Thacker's change of fortunes and reputation after last season and CGC's decision not to fire him has been nothing short of astounding.

This can't be overstated. We went from looking like a schoolyard defense to holding one of the top offenses in the nation to 17 points.

I would love get a candid answer from Thacker on just wtf was going on and what's changed.

This can't be overstated. We went from looking like a schoolyard defense to holding one of the top offenses in the nation to 17 points.

We played pretty well on defense, but we also got some breaks (the dropped TD on 4th down, the TD brought back by holding) that kept it from being a 35-21 kind of game. The gritty 4th down stop, FG hold, and interception were critical plays that kept their score down, too.

I think it was a confluence of UNC being propped up by a soft schedule, UNC having a bad game (Downs not 100%, QB being mediocre), us playing real hard, and getting some lucky breaks that enabled us to win.

JRjr

Based on our across the board improvement immediately after Collins departure, only an idiot would consider him for a HC position in the future. Of course he never has to work again due to TStan's generosity with our money.

We played pretty well on defense, but we also got some breaks (the dropped TD on 4th down, the TD brought back by holding) that kept it from being a 35-21 kind of game. The gritty 4th down stop, FG hold, and interception were critical plays that kept their score down, too.

I think it was a confluence of UNC being propped up by a soft schedule, UNC having a bad game (Downs not 100%, QB being mediocre), us playing real hard, and getting some lucky breaks that enabled us to win.

JRjr

For sure, but I think that sort of thing happens in every game. Think back to the Tenn v Bama game, Bama was driving and probably would have won if their running back (I forget his name) doesn't drop that wide open pass.

I haven't gone back to look at the hold, but I think, often as not, those are earned by the defense, so I usually count that as a good defensive play.

JRjr

Mostly agree, but disagree that the TD brought back by holding was a lucky break -- that TD only happened because of the hold. I just went back and watched a replay and was able to see it immediately. Very possibly a tackle for loss without it.

15 minute mark.

Other than that though, I agree. I think our defense has been solid but not world beating. They've done a good job generating turnovers and taking advantage of critical mistakes by the other team, but you can't count on that happening all the time. I am not as sold on Thacker as almost everyone else seems to be.

Thacker's defense has been scrappy and aggressive all 4 years. I think the secondary improved due to the staff changes there this year, and the guys upfront seem a little quicker and are playing with more fire now. I liked Thacker the first 2 years because I like that kind of aggressive swarming defense; but last year it wasn't working at all and I thought he should've been gone. I'm glad he got another year at this point. His aggressive style of defense will get burned; but it is more fun to watch than 'bend but don't break' defense.

Thacker's defense has been scrappy and aggressive all 4 years. I think the secondary improved due to the staff changes there this year, and the guys upfront seem a little quicker and are playing with more fire now. I liked Thacker the first 2 years because I like that kind of aggressive swarming defense; but last year it wasn't working at all and I thought he should've been gone. I'm glad he got another year at this point. His aggressive style of defense will get burned; but it is more fun to watch than 'bend but don't break' defense.
Basically Tenuta 2.0

Mostly agree, but disagree that the TD brought back by holding was a lucky break -- that TD only happened because of the hold. I just went back and watched a replay and was able to see it immediately. Very possibly a tackle for loss without it.

That's exactly the type of play I was talking about in my post above. The DL earned that hold on the play by completely dominating the OL.

Yeah I dunno about all this giving credit to Thacker stuff going around when there were clear staffing and player changes esp in the secondary this season compared to the last three (or four in some areas). I’m leaning towards your assessment more than the rest here.

Yeah I dunno about all this giving credit to Thacker stuff going around when there were clear staffing and player changes esp in the secondary this season compared to the last three (or four in some areas). I’m leaning towards your assessment more than the rest here.

I think Thacker has benefitted this year from (a) the some of the GT former players being shown the door, (b) CGC being gone, and (c) an offense that helps him out some. Seemed like we had several games last year where we were going 3 and out over and over again. Some of the people who are unhappy with Long have forgotten how terrible Pnope was. That doesn't mean I think Thacker is a young Bud Foster; but if it wasn't for the potential coaching change his job would probably be safe.

They are going to call it what they want, just like they did with CPJ's. They were still talking about wishbones and QB ducks by the time he left.
well that happens because it was a legit comparison- when you run 30 QB keepers per game and have a B-back hand in the dirt guy smashing into the pile for 3 yards every other play you get that reputation.

I think Thacker has benefitted this year from (a) the some of the GT former players being shown the door, (b) CGC being gone, and (c) an offense that helps him out some. Seemed like we had several games last year where we were going 3 and out over and over again. Some of the people who are unhappy with Long have forgotten how terrible Pnope was. That doesn't mean I think Thacker is a young Bud Foster; but if it wasn't for the potential coaching change his job would probably be safe.
Consolidating corner and safety coach's to Tillman seems to have been huge. Also addition by subtraction- 3 graduated DB’s who were very talented but not playing as a team at all

I'm not saying there's been zero improvement under long, but we're 111th in passing yards, 77th in rushing yards, and tied for 122nd in points for. We've broken 30 points once this entire season, and that was against W. Carolina, where we scored 35. The team is at 31% third down percentage, and 28:35 TOP on average.

The offense is doing no favors for the defense at all.

Back