How NIL is changing recruiting

ricejacket

Damn Good Rat
Texas A&M boosters paid between $25-30M in NIL just this year for their top ranked recruiting class and structured it so that kids will stay. If this is the model, the gulf between the haves and have nots will grow much wider.

SlicedBread sounds jelly

Texas A&M boosters paid between $25-30M in NIL just this year for their top ranked recruiting class and structured it so that kids will stay. If this is the model, the gulf between the haves and have nots will grow much wider.

IIwII. Get on board or be left behind. A part of me almost likes that the 30 year "charade of amateurism" might be over.

to your point, it might mean that at some point the P5 and G5+others get moved to separate divisions, for playoff considerations. It's time someone realized that only 20-25 teams will ever have a chance at a P5 natty!

IIwII. Get on board or be left behind. A part of me almost likes that the 30 year "charade of amateurism" might be over.

to your point, it might mean that at some point the P5 and G5+others get moved to separate divisions, for playoff considerations. It's time someone realized that only 20-25 teams will ever have a chance at a P5 natty!
Yep, unless some deep pockets step up we’re on the outside looking in.

They did the same sort of thing way back when when they hired Bear Bryant, on a smaller scale

Although SlicedBread is not necessarily the best source in the world, the number is likely in the ballpark.

lol

"A random poster on a random internet message board is not necessarily reliable, but he's probably right because otherwise we wouldn't be able to write this article and drive clicks."

I suspect it will be way less that 20-25 teams with NIL being used this way; maybe less than 10. The TV market could go over a cliff as fans of the non-elite teams completely lose interest.

I suspect it will be way less that 20-25 teams with NIL being used this way; maybe less than 10. The TV market could go over a cliff as fans of the non-elite teams completely lose interest.
Ratings are garbage. Not sure how large
Amounts of money keep Pouring in…

That’s a 10.4% drop in 5 years. I never thought I could NOT care about college football but it’s a totally different scene than the 80’s and 90’s.

This plus transfer portal (which makes every team a feeder program for the factories) has ruined college football. Only a few teams can actually win.

But money does that to all sports eventually. Look at baseball: how do the Royals compete with the Dodgers, or top soccer: how can Crystal Palace compete with Chelsea?

It would probaby be better if those 20 teams did form their own league and the rest of us could go back to playing CFB at least somewhat like to used to be. Ideally with smaller, regional conferences.

lol

"A random poster on a random internet message board is not necessarily reliable, but he's probably right because otherwise we wouldn't be able to write this article and drive clicks."
I live in Houston around a bunch of Aggies and the number in the article are in the ballpark of what I've heard fro multiple sources.The top QB listed in the article goes to my neighborhood HS, same sources (more than one) has put his NIL at above $2M.

College football died when head coaches started signing contracts worth more than every faculty member’s salaries combined. That was wrong and a mistake. And then came the commercialization and sums of $$$ into athletic departments that rivaled NASA’s budget for the Apollo Space Program. And that was a mistake.

Money can be like a drug. And college football is not the first thing money has ruined. But “College” —- by definition amateur, football is dead. RIP.

EDIT: nm, the whole year change between semis and finals threw me off.

Last edited:
The Oklahoma QB who just went into the portal is looking for a huge payday. His father is looking to cash in big time. Look for the dwags to pony up all their lawyerin' and player bail money to land him. Then Kirbs gets to lie some more to the QBs they just signed

Back