How NIL is changing recruiting

Another point, all issues need to be put on the table. For example, why is there a four year eligibility period. This is discrimination against late bloomers! Look at Wake, older team this year and they competed. When Bama sends kids to the NFL they replace with new young, and now rich players. Counter that with 25 year olds.

Because of the whole alleged "student" aspect of things. Thinking about the 4 year part of it now, just shows even more how stupid it all is. Trying to get a difficult degree or transferred but not all your courses did so you need to take other ones/retake them, would make sense to give enough time to complete the degree, right? NCAA take is to say "fk no, you need to get a "degree" in the time we think you should, so stop trying to get a real one and just get a diploma and get out".

Agree with the first, disagree with the second. Scholarship limits may have an effect of preventing stockpiling talent in the sense that Bama can't field twice as many players as the competition, but it hasn't really stopped them from grabbing above the limit through greyshirting and such. The transfer portal is at best a double edged sword in stopping the stockpiling of talent. Sure maybe a talented 3rd stringer can leave, but conversely those teams can shake off busts with greater ease than ever and pull in even more talent from high school as well as grabbing talent from other schools when needed/available.

Conference TV dollars may be split evenly between schools and we get as much as Clemson, but it's becoming increasingly uneven between conferences and we end up getting less than Indiana (whose coach now makes nearly 2 million more than ours) and Vandy. Cincy can show that maybe money is not an absolutely in predicting but it's a heavily predicting trend. 1 or 2 relatively poorer teams in the playoffs out of 32 so far aren't strong statistics for a level playing field and this trend plus that first statement kind of undoes a bit of the idea of looking back at the old way of doing things being more uneven. Sure, now #4 in November has more of a chance, but even back then I'd imagine the teams in that range were still fairly consistent as you said, it's less likely there were a huge number of near misses of non-big name teams if that were the case. You could also look at the recent changes as giving those powerhouse teams additional chances at winning it all over a lesser team on a strong hot streak (a la UGA this year, Bama in 11 and 17).
Bama using greyshirting has nothing to do with historical changes in CFB – any school that wants to can do that, and plenty of non-Bama schools do it. Some even say that GT itself engages in 'roster management' of one sort or another (even though – again disproving that things are worse than ever – I believe most conferences now require schools to issue 4-year-scholarships rather than 1-year-scholarships).

The fact that GT gets fewer TV dollars than Indiana just proves my point. Clemson has had worlds more success than Indiana despite the fact that the Big 10 has a bigger TV contract than the ACC.

I agree that it is harder for poorer teams to go all the way than richer ones – but that's been the state of the world since time immemorial. Go back through all the decades of the AP poll... just how many "little guys" have finished in the Top 4 *before* the modern era (let's say bowl alliance forward)? Practically none. You got BYU finishing #1 in 1984. Otherwise, it's all teams that are now what we call P5 teams (with the exception of Army and Navy in the very distant past). But in the past 10 years, you get TCU (then Mtn West), Boise St (then WAC) and Utah (also Mtn West) all having Top 4 finishes – when they were on the outside looking in. Those schools invested in football, built their programs slowly but steadily, and didn't accept that they were destined to always be on the outside looking in.

The only reason people think college football is less competitive now than ever is because they've spent very little time actually looking at the historical record. Your comment about teams *now* getting second chances illustrates this. One of the chief complaints for years about the old poll system was that it penalized late season losses way more than early season losses. Lots of teams got second chances late in the year. This has *nothing* to do with the current system and everything to do with the fact that pollsters and opinion makers are much more likely to overlook losses when incurred by big-name teams with lots of 'eye test' talent.

College football has always had haves and have-nots, just like every other human endeavor in history. Things aren't perfect now, but they certainly aren't worse than they used to be. I think most fans' attitudes on this issue just track how 'their' school happens to be doing at the moment. Vandy fans probably think the game's always been rigged against them. A sad excuse for their own failure to prioritize and build a decent program.

At what point does GT just turn the team over to outside management? Sign a contract for use of the GT logo. Turn over operations of BDS under a long term fixed contract. Let a professional franchise run us as an NFL training ground, or even a training ground for a school like Alabama. Pay the players

Offer the following classes:
Freshman football practice I
Freshman football practice II
Nutrition I
Strength and Conditioning I
Scrimmage Theory

Basically, players represent GT. GT makes a flat contract fee. Company makes revenue on tickets, merch, vending, bowl revenue...and has limited other uses for stadium. Company is allowed to make stadium improvements as per agreed to by GT. Need to rebuild it to add more luxury boxes? Get GT approval and move ahead

Do you also not understand why Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney make more than CGC? There’s a market! It takes a lot of firefighters to cover all the possible fires, but only a handful of QBs are needed to provide Americans with hours of weekly entertainment. So the demand dollars are concentrated. Since you’re part of that demand this should be pretty clear to you. After all, You’re not spending your free time posting about the changes in staffing down at the local fire house.

All markets are supply and demand but at some juncture they get taken for granted. I assure you if the homes of a large number of Alabama fans started burning down and it's because their aren't enough firefighters, their pay is gonna go up.

It's messed up that what's really important has been lost on so many individuals but it will come full circle over time. That is why I believe NIL can't persist in it's current incarnation for long. Either college ball is restructured or is separated from the schools completely.

The dominate schools you spoke of prior to NIL were that way for different reasons but NIL will definitely skew things even harder. I can't remember where I read it here or elsewhere, but somebody said it would be funny to see the deep pockets of the ivy leagues farm a team to run roughshod over everyone to make a point. I think it definitely would because none of the factories are touching the endowments at Harvard or Yale.

While I am in the CFB market I'm not in the tide or tiger market. If @BeeStorm started a forum for the firehouse roster I just might be posting over there after all.

All markets are supply and demand but at some juncture they get taken for granted. I assure you if the homes of a large number of Alabama fans started burning down and it's because their aren't enough firefighters, their pay is gonna go up.

It's messed up that what's really important has been lost on so many individuals but it will come full circle over time. That is why I believe NIL can't persist in it's current incarnation for long. Either college ball is restructured or is separated from the schools completely.

The dominate schools you spoke of prior to NIL were that way for different reasons but NIL will definitely skew things even harder. I can't remember where I read it here or elsewhere, but somebody said it would be funny to see the deep pockets of the ivy leagues farm a team to run roughshod over everyone to make a point. I think it definitely would because none of the factories are touching the endowments at Harvard or Yale.

While I am in the CFB market I'm not in the tide or tiger market. If @BeeStorm started a forum for the firehouse roster I just might be posting over there after all.
Ivy Leagues could open the billion $ pockets as could a school like Stanford

Has it really changed things? Schools with rich boosters that were paying players under the table are now doing so in an organized and public way — and looking for ways to market their spend publically to draw more recruits in the future vs. covering things up to stay off the ncaa radar.

The bigger thing is the transfer portal as guys like Gibbs or Williams can effectively put themselves up for bid a second time after making a name for themselves.

What would Bryce Young pull if he went into the portal next Wednesday after winnning the natty? 10 million? He could go elsewhere or use the portal as leverage to get more from deep pockets at Bama. From a business standpoint it should be his next move.

Has it really changed things? Schools with rich boosters that were paying players under the table are now doing so in an organized and public way — and looking for ways to market their spend publically to draw more recruits in the future vs. covering things up to stay off the ncaa radar.

The bigger thing is the transfer portal as guys like Gibbs or Williams can effectively put themselves up for bid a second time after making a name for themselves.

What would Bryce Young pull if he went into the portal next Wednesday after winnning the natty? 10 million? He could go elsewhere or use the portal as leverage to get more from deep pockets at Bama. From a business standpoint it should be his next move.
Yes. It has changed things and it will get worse. You are gonna have Texas A&M coaches show up bragging on NIL money for their players. Above board.

I don't fault players for playing the game. Any of us would. There is not a single person here that would take $40k in NIL money from GT for 4 years over $500k for 4 years from A&M.

I really don't know if I will even be watching college football in 3-4 seasons, let alone buying GT season tickets. I have been a ST holder for decades, but now it looks like we ded. I don't know of any of our supporters with Texas type money. GT may have a lot of millionaire supporters, but Texas and Texas A&M have billionaire supporters.

somebody said it would be funny to see the deep pockets of the ivy leagues farm a team to run roughshod over everyone to make a point. I think it definitely would because none of the factories are touching the endowments at Harvard or Yale.

Would be great to see that. I know that it won't as those schools aren't dumb to waste funds like that, but it would be hilarious seeing the muppets on espn trying to rationalize Penn/Yale putting a whoppin' on whoever is the SEC team being hyped up that week

You don't read so good. I specifically said we'll have to see how NIL affects things. So far, Tech recruiting doesn't appear to have suffered much from NIL, and CGC has made a pretty compelling argument why it could actually benefit us. (Is your name image and likeness going to have a higher value in Blacksburg or in Atlanta?)

But it just doesn't make sense that HS kids are going to be cleaning up with millions. Consider how much money NFL teams lose on draft busts every year – now multiply the risk by a ten, and the reward by one-tenth – that's what the "booster free-for-all" you're envisioning will actually look like... the reality is that very few HS players are worth much of a risk, and the boosters who are funding NIL are essentially making charitable transfers since they are unlikely to recoup their investment on NIL. It's one thing to give money to the AA, get a tax deduction, get your name in the program, network with other rich guys, etc. But give those dollars to the parents of some rando HS QB? Much harder sell – especially after a few years of 'draft busts' dampen booster's enthusiasm for this new system.

Yes, the Herschel's of the world may get above-board Trans Am's now... but the Herschel's of the world were supposedly already getting Trans Am's. If anything this levels the playing field by letting keep-your-nose-clean boosters at places like Tech the opportunity to support recruiting in a way they couldn't before. If we'd had NIL back in the day, maybe we could've kept Tuitt.

Or maybe not – but NIL is way too new for anyone to be able to predict what it'll actually do.
Goodness buddy.

Texas A&M just spent 30 million dollars via NIL to buy their #1 ranked recruiting class. The playing field is not level at all.

I think the schools will start noticing this runaway train when they realize that UGA is making $100,000,000 a year. There is only so much that you can spend on athletics, UGA will buy its way into the Top 30 schools in the country.
I also predict that Alabama, UGA will field second teams, both pulling in plenty of viewers and fans at the games.

Would be great to see that. I know that it won't as those schools aren't dumb to waste funds like that, but it would be hilarious seeing the muppets on espn trying to rationalize Penn/Yale putting a whoppin' on whoever is the SEC team being hyped up that week
Yea, Elon Musk is a Penn alum. He could create a billion $ NIL fund to buy players for Penn forever, just to show everyone he can

Is there any evidence at all that Gibbs left GT because of a NIL payment he's getting at Bama? Gibbs left Atlanta because his coach left and his team sucked. The kid wants to win; I think we all sympathize.

Caleb Williams just lost his head coach (and supposed QB whisperer). Kids don't transfer off teams that have a chance to win *after* they've proved themselves with playing time; they transfer when they couldn't get on the field or when their programs suck. (Or of course for a variety of personal reasons.)

The transfer portal is probably bad for CFB and bad for student athletes in general, but definitely benefits teams like GT that are often "fall back" schools. We'll benefit from disgruntled players looking for a fresh start and coming back home to Atlanta.
I doubt this. Gibbs was getting the press, the accolades. At Tech, he got the ball and would have been a top NFL pick in one year.
At Alabama he may find that “yikes, there are three other great backs here” and his carries lessened. He went for the big payday as much as anything.

I think the schools will start noticing this runaway train when they realize that UGA is making $100,000,000 a year. There is only so much that you can spend on athletics, UGA will buy its way into the Top 30 schools in the country.
I also predict that Alabama, UGA will field second teams, both pulling in plenty of viewers and fans at the games.
UGA does not have Texas or Texas A&M or even Alabama money.

Yes they do. UGA made the second most amount of money in 2019. Check out Texas and Florida academic growth, and ND earlier, all partly from football.
No, they don't. The SEC money they earn is NOT where the NIL money is coming from. The money is coming from extremely rich boosters, which Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Stanford....have a wealth of.

They absolutely do.
They absolutely don't, unless there are billionaire UGAg boosters I am unaware of.

A&M or Texas boosters would be able to squash UGAg boosters with their bill folds.

It would be interesting to see the Ivy league Penn Musk team play the Princeton Bezos team every year for a Natty because the two richest men on the planet are bored and just want to öööö with everybody.

Goodness buddy.

Texas A&M just spent 30 million dollars via NIL to buy their #1 ranked recruiting class. The playing field is not level at all.
Goodness buddy.

Do you believe everything you read in anonymous internet reports or just the things that confirm your preexisting biases?

At what point does GT just turn the team over to outside management? Sign a contract for use of the GT logo. Turn over operations of BDS under a long term fixed contract. Let a professional franchise run us as an NFL training ground, or even a training ground for a school like Alabama. Pay the players

Offer the following classes:
Freshman football practice I
Freshman football practice II
Nutrition I
Strength and Conditioning I
Scrimmage Theory

Basically, players represent GT. GT makes a flat contract fee. Company makes revenue on tickets, merch, vending, bowl revenue...and has limited other uses for stadium. Company is allowed to make stadium improvements as per agreed to by GT. Need to rebuild it to add more luxury boxes? Get GT approval and move ahead

Scrimmage Theory Syllabus

Week 1: Dancing on sidelines
Week 2: Money down!
Week 3: Intro to Kickball
Week 4: Weightlifting (crossover with S & C I)
Week 5: Advanced Kickball Theory
MIDTERMS: Dance-off with teammates

He went for the big payday as much as anything.
Great player (whose coach left BTW) transfers from perennial cellar dweller to national champion… and ST’s only explanation is a monetary payment I’ve seen zero proof of.

One of the worst things about modern culture is that cynicism got mistaken for wisdom.

Back