How NIL is changing recruiting

I hate the piped in loud music and how it takes away from the band, but apparently young people want that stuff...So the "college experience" seems to be disappearing.

I really wonder if young people actually want it, or if this is just administrators and others trying to justify their jobs and desperately try to restore waning interest due to other factors.

If you can believe that Gibbs could be a Heisman candidate then certainly you can believe he's looking at a $1M payday at a school like Bama.
Have you seen any confirmed reports anywhere of anyone getting money like that? I don't know how this stuff is reported to the NCAA (if at all), but don't let attention-hogs on the internet persuade you something is real without attribution.

I would think most players with seven-figure-deals would be so excited they'd be all over social media, bragging about it and showing the contract or the check or the cash or whatever. Show me a player (or school or NIL booster) trumpeting these completely legal million-dollar deals...

It's the possibility of students taking money and then leaving – or getting hurt or not panning out or what-have-you – that will prevent NIL from becoming the behemoth some think it will. Boosters aren't dumb, and they're not give away millions to an 18 y.o. who may do nothing for the team. Some folks are rich enough to take a gamble with $50k, sure. But they're not going to gamble with millions (particularly when there's no monetary upside to the risk).
I am a lucky man but most of that luck has occurred in the last ten years. I am not that lucky, but $50,000 could be considered and maybe I will help out one day. (My businesses are not centered near Georgia Unfortunately.) Anyway, I think you are missing the point. For programs like Texas A&M in desperate for football Texas, who has potentially 200,000 alumni rooting for their school nearby, $50K is very doable for at least 500 fans. That is $25,000,000 per year to draw from. You don't need a NIKE guy like Oregon has, it's much more likely to work with a big network of fans. When you have enough money you start spending it on horses, autos...now college football. I'm sure it would be fun to be in the network of fellow fans and I'm sure it would be addictive. I really think you are underestimating this potential (and thinking like all of Tech fans normally think).

Have you seen any confirmed reports anywhere of anyone getting money like that? I don't know how this stuff is reported to the NCAA (if at all), but don't let attention-hogs on the internet persuade you something is real without attribution.

I would think most players with seven-figure-deals would be so excited they'd be all over social media, bragging about it and showing the contract or the check or the cash or whatever. Show me a player (or school or NIL booster) trumpeting these completely legal million-dollar deals...

I really wonder if young people actually want it, or if this is just administrators and others trying to justify their jobs and desperately try to restore waning interest due to other factors.
Well every pro game I go to has the same noise . I have Orioles season tickets and I prefer going to games without too many people around me (unless it's a game that matters which isn't happening right now). But I hate the noise so I prefer ENOUGH fans in the stadium to absorb some of the noise.
Same for Ravens games, NBA games, College Games at MSG, now the Ryder Cup (God help us)....sports needs bodies attending, and they know there are not enough Baby Boomers who grew up keeping score in baseball. They have to offer something else and it always includes noise.

When you hit the jackpot the last thing you want is for everyone to know about it. You'd get a million "friends" showing up for handouts...

I can't say I am surprised, another reminder that cash rules the world. After the expense to pay $100 million contracts to HC's, paying ex-NFL HC's to be on your staff, having a small army of non-coaching "analysts", etc... NCAA football is becoming an expensive poker game to buy into.

I think we will see the split between the factories and the traditional schools in the next 4-6 years.

I think we will see the split between the factories and the traditional schools in the next 4-6 years.

Which will bury the traditional schools and drop them to FCS level operating models, or force them out of football

Well every pro game I go to has the same noise . I have Orioles season tickets and I prefer going to games without too many people around me (unless it's a game that matters which isn't happening right now). But I hate the noise so I prefer ENOUGH fans in the stadium to absorb some of the noise.
Same for Ravens games, NBA games, College Games at MSG, now the Ryder Cup (God help us)....sports needs bodies attending, and they know there are not enough Baby Boomers who grew up keeping score in baseball. They have to offer something else and it always includes noise.

That is true. And every time I attend one of those games I wonder the same thing. It's just absolutely miserable a lot of the time.

And the thing is it's tough to really link these ancillary things to attendance. If your attendance is falling, you may say, "Hey, let's try adding more loud music to keep fans engaged". If that doesn't work you don't say, "Hey, let's get rid of that loud music" -- you say, "Hey, we need to add more things to keep people engaged."

There's really no impetus to ever stop playing loud music or having contests on the field or crazy mascots or any of the other things that makes sports games feel more like a day at the mall than a day at the ballgame. The experience only ever goes in the direction of "more", regardless of if it's what fans want.

Thank you – good link. That actually seems to me to confirm what I'm saying...

Bryce Young is the single most prominent player in the country, winning the Heisman, playing QB at the most dominant program in 20 years. If *he* is getting high-six figures, does it make any sense that the average incoming freshman at A&M is getting more than him?

Also note how this works. Bryce Young's NIL isn't the kind of booster gifts that are speculated about ITT... but actual endorsement deals orchestrated by CAA, one of the biggest talent agencies in the world. Bryce Young has done multiple deals to get to that high-six-figure number, like endorsing Logan's Roadhouse.

What significant about this is that these deals aren't a ruse to get Young to play at Bama, but a real business deal using his pre-existing fame to generate interest in their restaurant. (Logan's isn't going to pay a HS recruit to put his face on their restaurant, because nobody's knows them.)

So this is the kind of situation that *supports* CGC's contention that Tech has an opportunity that rural schools do not. If we were actually a good team, and if we actually had a star like that on our roster... well, a billboard in Atlanta costs a lot more than a billboard in Tuscaloosa.

Last edited:

JT Daniels new NIL deal has the potential to make over seven figures.

JT Daniels new NIL deal has the potential to make over seven figures.

Did you read that article? Kinda hilarious...
ESM seems to have served him well as Daniels has signed an exclusive trading card deal that will net him $100 per signature. The six-month contract will earn him 50% royalties on both signed and unsigned cards. ESM Football estimates that this deal could reach seven figures.
The kid's played a handful of snaps this year, but they're gonna sell 10,000 of his cards for more than $200 apiece?

EDIT. TBH I didn't even know trading cards were a thing still. How much for a JT Daniels trading card NFT...? :lol2:

IIwII. Get on board or be left behind. A part of me almost likes that the 30 year "charade of amateurism" might be over.

to your point, it might mean that at some point the P5 and G5+others get moved to separate divisions, for playoff considerations. It's time someone realized that only 20-25 teams will ever have a chance at a P5 natty!
It could mean that Georgia Tech in our lifetime cancels the program. Definitely not great times right now.

Judging from this thread, 18n32 must be representing some athletes in NIL deals... "nothing to see hear, move along".

What if it’s part of an NIL contract not to disclose how much you are paid?

Did you read that article? Kinda hilarious...

The kid's played a handful of snaps this year, but they're gonna sell 10,000 of his cards for more than $200 apiece?

EDIT. TBH I didn't even know trading cards were a thing still. How much for a JT Daniels trading card NFT...? :lol2:

You realize they could sell 10K @ $200 apiece to single booster if they need to right?? Sort of like a politician's book or a Hunter Biden work of art.

You realize they could sell 10K @ $200 apiece to single booster if they need to right?? Sort of like a politician's book or a Hunter Biden work of art.
Of course – but then the entire paradigm shifts back from 'businesses advertising with NIL' to 'boosters paying kids under table'. Which very well may happen. But do you really think a UGA booster is paying JT Daniels $1,000,000 to ride the pine?

Back