I blame Radakovich...

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
His nickname in certain employee circles was "The {donkey synonym + cavity in the ground} Who Walks Like A Man.

Good at answering correspondence, but there is more to the job than that.

Not the worst AD we ever had, but he should be grateful to Mike Bobinski for shielding him from that.
David Braine and Bobby Dodd say "hi"

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
@ramblinwise1 the OP stated that Rads is bad because he hire CPJ....
My point was that the decision to hire the Navy coach and install the TO is what led to a talent pool like what we have now. In 2008 we joined the service academies as the only teams running a triple option. I appreciate the job Paul Johnson did and the success we enjoyed. But, that hiring decision went a long way in seeing a drop in recruiting. Was it an awful hire? No. But, it did set in motion what led to where we are today.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I was told by a player who played for Dodd that, Radakovich did not want to hire CPJ. The big money alumni wanted Johnson, Muschamp was the choice of Radakovich.
This is likely. But the reality is that Radakovich didn’t actually have a strong preference. What he did do was run a high quality professional search thst unearthed a lot of high quality coaches that would be highly desirable going forward. He also sold the institute extremely well to them to the point where we would likely have got anyone we offered.
This gave us a variety of good choices, of which I think Tech ended up picking the best in CPJ.
Also, the reason Clemson hires him was the masterful way he steered a cash strapped, debt ridden, AA during the worst financial crisis in living memory, while still managing to grow the football, and a variety of other programs, such as tennis, and softball, even if his choice of coaches in the other smaller programs wasn’t as good.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Those classes were good for CPJ and for his system, but those types of classes should not be thought of as good in our current era.

Recently, I was under the same thought that CPJs recruiting wasn't all that bad, then i looked at where we fell in recruiting against the ACC. We are in the bottom 30% in the past decade. Even in those "good" years, we were 8th or worse in the ACC. Oddly enough, our more experienced players are from the 2016 class which was 13th in the ACC, o my beating out BC (67th in FBS). We need to be in the top 3rd of the ACC at least, which looks promising at this point. I may do a little more research and draw up some more stats, but the comparison to the ACC is eye opening to say the least.
If you want to see how bad our recruiting has become, just see the results of the last 3 NFL drafts. 1 single pick, and that was the kicker. We always had at least 1-2 draft picks leadin up to that, including in 2014/15 when they were CPJ recruited guys.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Why 50 year table?

Maybe you should shut the öööö up because you have no concept what a great "TEAM" is.
You’re right. A great team is completely defined by number of passing yards.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My point was that the decision to hire the Navy coach and install the TO is what led to a talent pool like what we have now. In 2008 we joined the service academies as the only teams running a triple option. I appreciate the job Paul Johnson did and the success we enjoyed. But, that hiring decision went a long way in seeing a drop in recruiting. Was it an awful hire? No. But, it did set in motion what led to where we are today.
Paul Johnson's philosophy was always that if you can't match other teams in talent, it makes no sense to try to do what they do.
The truth is, the most detrimental effect the TO had in recruiting was the ability to recruit good defensive players. Our defenses under 3 different DCs during CPJs tenure was were absolutely awful--- horrendous.
I think that if we could have ever fielded just an average P5 defense, Johnson would still be here, and he would continue to average 8-10 win seasons--- which is about as good as any coach will ever do at GT, unless we merged with Georgia State or the BOR allowed us to offer Physical Education or Art in The Dark as majors.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
After giving this some thought, by far the worst AD we ever had and the reason we are where we are now is Bobby Dodd. Bobby Dodd nearly destroyed GT Athletics because his ego couldn't handle the changes in the SEC. His taking us out of the SEC lost us the Atlanta market, which we had firm hold on, and gave all those sidewalk fans over to UGA, and consequently made UGA what it is today throughout the state. Fortunately Bobby Dodd's minions are starting die off, and Doug Weaver got us into the ACC; but we have yet to fully recover from the debacle created by Bobby Dodd. If CGC and TStan can get back what GT lost due to Dodd they will deserve statues out in front of the stadium as well.

djkix

Varsity Lurker
I was rewatching some of the 2008 and 2009 games recently. Man, how fun it is to watch Johnson's games when we actually have a bunch of stud players.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
After giving this some thought, by far the worst AD we ever had and the reason we are where we are now is Bobby Dodd. Bobby Dodd nearly destroyed GT Athletics because his ego couldn't handle the changes in the SEC. His taking us out of the SEC lost us the Atlanta market, which we had firm hold on, and gave all those sidewalk fans over to UGA, and consequently made UGA what it is today throughout the state. Fortunately Bobby Dodd's minions are starting die off, and Doug Weaver got us into the ACC; but we have yet to fully recover from the debacle created by Bobby Dodd. If CGC and TStan can get back what GT lost due to Dodd they will deserve statues out in front of the stadium as well.
If we had stayed in the SEC our "home games" at Bobby Dodd would be mostly Orange when we played Tennesse, Crimson when we played Bama, Blue and Orange when we played Florida--- just like they are mostly Red when we play UGA and Orange when we play Clemson.
Georgia Tech is an academic school. We place value where value should be placed--- academics. The SEC schools are a joke compared to GT (with the exception of Vandy). They all place more of a value on football, which is just ignorance.
GT is where it belongs in the ACC.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
If we had stayed in the SEC our "home games" at Bobby Dodd would be mostly Orange when we played Tennesse, Crimson when we played Bama, Blue and Orange when we played Florida--- just like they are mostly Red when we play UGA and Orange when we play Clemson.
Georgia Tech is an academic school. We place value where value should be placed--- academics. The SEC schools are a joke compared to GT (with the exception of Vandy). They all place more of a value on football, which is just ignorance.
Wrong. It has been that way certainly since the 80's; but that was after Dodd dumped the fan base. Dig further back to when GT was still in the SEC and tell me what the stadium looked like. After getting out of the SEC and sending our fan base to UGA, we had to shrink the stadium because of the lack of fan support. Don't think for a second that we originally expanded the stadium to accommodate UGA fans. It was 1980 before UGA won a National Championship, Dodd took us out of the SEC in 1964, it took that long for UGA to build the program.

Our academic snobbery didn't do us any favors in maintaining a fan base, and it still doesn't; but that is not the reason our program dived into the abyss.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
Hey look Dave Braine is here

Longestdays

Flats Noob
@77GTFan I know you know but I’ll say it again... GT’s budget effected recruiting. GT school effects recruiting. GT has changed more to MIT than ever before.... APR has changed the landscape. Yes, 5 stars don’t want the option... but I feel the the other issues are the bigger issue. Perhaps the lowest budget in the ACC had a bigger impact on recruiting than the option.

I could be wrong. Let’s see if Collins can get them here and keep them here without being hammered for violations. Perhaps all the new investment and new staff will make a difference. Who wants to wear Russel in Saturday. I hope I am wrong because no one will like the alternative.

Ptjackets

Varsity Lurker
This site is like our Congress right now. Some of you hated CPJ so much that you couldn’t see any of the good he did, no matter how successful he was, you wanted him out. Now those fans have CJC and there are already people who want him gone. Can you say democrats V. Republicans? Settle down, give the man a chance, stay off social media and get a life. Stop by every once in a while to say hi but do something other than come here and bash other people’s ideas!