I Will Not Subject Myself to This Anymore

Today's game was an embarrassment, but in a strange new way. It didn't hurt. I didn't care. It was inevitable and meaningless. I spent the afternoon with the same family I always do the Saturday after Thanksgiving and my georgia fan uncles and cousins didn't even give me a hard time. I was unaffected and I guess they felt sorry for me. This is the true problem of the Collins Era. We now have to rebuild a fan base as well as a team. The big question now is if it is worth $7M additional to start that tomorrow instead of 366 days from now.

Today's game was an embarrassment, but in a strange new way. It didn't hurt. I didn't care. It was inevitable and meaningless. I spent the afternoon with the same family I always do the Saturday after Thanksgiving and my georgia fan uncles and cousins didn't even give me a hard time. I was unaffected and I guess they felt sorry for me. This is the true problem of the Collins Era. We now have to rebuild a fan base as well as a team. The big question now is if it is worth $7M additional to start that tomorrow instead of 366 days from now.
I agree. This was the first time I can recall not watching a single play of COFH. I spent my time working out and decorating for Christmas instead. I had already resigned myself to the fact that the outcome would look a lot like last week’s. My expectation was so low that the outcome didn’t hurt like it would in years past. I guess I’ve become numb from apathy… but not yet as apathetic to quit posting here apparently.

Been a Tech fan since 1958. Never thought I'd ever quit. But, if Tech doesn't fire Collins within 48 hours, I'm not going to contribute any more. I'll still pull for Tech, but Tech football will not have the same role in my life.

I wish I had all the money and time I spent on Tech sports back. I feel like I've been a fool to put up with this as long as I have.

I know younger people will come on here and call me names. Well, stick with this mess as long as you can. If I were 35, I might stick with it, too. But, I can't take it any more. It was surreal around our house today. Like a wake. Just not worth it. And the coaches didn't even try. Never saw that before.
A dwindling number of us old farts left. The problem? We were around long enough to have at least fleeting moments of success. Our dads took us to Tech games and "on any given day" which permeated every single post Dodd coach - Gailey, O'Leary, Johnson, and Lewis wasn't around long enough for us to suffer too long. Now, the young kids are used to going to a game and have no experiences of upsets, great games, and a full atmosphere at Grant Field. When this rinse and repeat turns into consistency, the new memories are leaving at halftime, empty stadium, and hearing dad say "damn, I think we might lose to The Citadel today". They never come back. The most insulting part of Saturday was not losing to Georgia, that happens often enough and begrudgingly, they are a really good team. The insulting part is seeing them haven taken over not just the east but the west stands, not just the south end zone, but the student section as well. This is a problem that Collins contributed to, but is not entirely responsible for. We all know about the problems because we've been bitching about them for years - limited majors, sub par facilities, etc. We bitch but the problems remain - and so we are caught in no man's land, in a conference that we want to be in for minor sports and basketball, but ill equipped to do more than six wins in football on a consistent basis. In the short term, we need to hire coaches that have demonstrated an ability to do more with less and avoid these guys who spent a year at top ten program with superior talent, avoid the Tech man litmus test and go after the best available coach regardless of conference.

I am similar to you. The Georgia folks appear to be getting bored. As for waiting for another year, now you've reminded me that Tech goes to the cesspool next year, and it will take another beat down to get the administration to move.

I'm not letting three years of this crap override twelve years of great (and some not-so-great) memories, and I'm sure as hell not letting it erase potential future memories.

Surprised and disappointed to hear people who have been around longer than me, and thus seen even better times, say they regret all that time. I might expect that from fair weather fans of factory programs but I guess in the end we're not that much different.

I hear you. If there aren't significant changes before next season I won't be burning as many weekends with GT football either. I'll have 2 kids at Auburn next year, it will make more sense to go to games there anyway. I'll be back full time when GT acts like it is trying to win. This is the first time I can remember, at least since the early Curry years, where I felt going into the game we really had no chance. I think next fall I will be getting more use of my All Trails app.
I use guthook but it may have changed names now.

I'm not letting three years of this crap override twelve years of great (and some not-so-great) memories, and I'm sure as hell not letting it erase potential future memories.

Surprised and disappointed to hear people who have been around longer than me, and thus seen even better times, say they regret all that time. I might expect that from fair weather fans of factory programs but I guess in the end we're not that much different.
I don’t regret the time. I just don’t want to invest as much time and emotion into the team while GC is the coach

A dwindling number of us old farts left. The problem? We were around long enough to have at least fleeting moments of success. Our dads took us to Tech games and "on any given day" which permeated every single post Dodd coach - Gailey, O'Leary, Johnson, and Lewis wasn't around long enough for us to suffer too long. Now, the young kids are used to going to a game and have no experiences of upsets, great games, and a full atmosphere at Grant Field. When this rinse and repeat turns into consistency, the new memories are leaving at halftime, empty stadium, and hearing dad say "damn, I think we might lose to The Citadel today". They never come back. The most insulting part of Saturday was not losing to Georgia, that happens often enough and begrudgingly, they are a really good team. The insulting part is seeing them haven taken over not just the east but the west stands, not just the south end zone, but the student section as well. This is a problem that Collins contributed to, but is not entirely responsible for. We all know about the problems because we've been bitching about them for years - limited majors, sub par facilities, etc. We bitch but the problems remain - and so we are caught in no man's land, in a conference that we want to be in for minor sports and basketball, but ill equipped to do more than six wins in football on a consistent basis. In the short term, we need to hire coaches that have demonstrated an ability to do more with less and avoid these guys who spent a year at top ten program with superior talent, avoid the Tech man litmus test and go after the best available coach regardless of conference.
This thought kind of goes back to the statement GOL made about GT when he was coaching here; "GT fans want to be MIT during the week, but on Saturday game days they want to be F.S.U." This may not be exactly what he said but I am sure most of us OF's catch the gist of his statement. I appreciate GOL and what he did for our program while he was here, but why can't GT be just that, a school with high academic standards and have a good football program too? It's been done at other tough academic school like; Northwestern and Stanford, why not here at GT? And I already know what some of the answers are going to be; Stanford offers more Liberal Arts degrees, blah, blah. Let's face it the BOR nor the GT Academic Board isn't going to allow GT to lower their standards in course selections or majors, to improve our football program. We are what we are!

I understand the frustration. We all feel that way today. But unfortunately Ciraldo you know you can’t quit. Just like I can’t quit. Just like many others on this board. We are Yellow Jackets and we’ll die Yellow Jackets. There is nothing we can do about it. We don’t have the option to quit.
7E246449-8CF9-4E9C-B5C9-D5BF82F1ED5E.jpeg

I use guthook but it may have changed names now.
I didn't renew season tickets last year and spent more time camping including my first backpacking trip in years. It's now supplanted golf as my preferred hobby, though I'm still doing that. I've got an Airbnb setup for June and July in Idaho near the Sawtooths. We'll be doing family trips every weekend there, white clouds, and a few into the wind river range.

I didn't renew season tickets last year and spent more time camping including my first backpacking trip in years. It's now supplanted golf as my preferred hobby, though I'm still doing that. I've got an Airbnb setup for June and July in Idaho near the Sawtooths. We'll be doing family trips every weekend there, white clouds, and a few into the wind river range.
Awesome. My sons and I are doing parts of the App Trail. I figure I’ll die before I finish all of it. We did the presidential range in July. Amazing hike, and incredibly difficult for me.

As I got dressed to run to a few stores, I looked at my options in my dresser. GT shirts. I gave a chuckle and put one on along with my GT hat. Out I went into the land of UGA. It’s who I am and will continue to be. Collins can’t take that from me.

You’re my hero. Seriously. I applaud your ability to watch us lose like this. You have definitely earned the right to call everyone else pansies.
If we were to have a major turn around season, I'd never live with myself. I'm hoping the changes we ha e made, along with many teams losing their 6th year super seniors, will help us

If we were to have a major turn around season, I'd never live with myself. I'm hoping the changes we ha e made, along with many teams losing their 6th year super seniors, will help us
Our OC hire needs to be amazing

Back